advertisement

Laser Levels

jagdesign

pfm Member
Another black Friday purchase advice thread :D

Has anyone got any advice or experiences they can share on laser levels? I'm hoping to be doing a fair bit of house renovating/ garden room/workshop build over the next year or two, so keen to get something decent. I'm just not sure what 'decent' entails at the moment!

- 3D vs cross
- Price
- Useful accessories - tripod/mounts etc
- Amazon unknown brand vs standard power tool brands, Bosch/Dewalt etc

After watching this:

I bought the same one.
Price seems to change quite a bit, it was £53 when I bought mine 2 months ago. Works a treat.

@colinp good to hear, I watched the same vid earlier which got me looking at 3D options.

I just worry about the support with some of the lesser know brands - would like to have something that'll last 5 years+

A transparent plastic tube and water is as accurate and more versatile than a laser and cheaper.

Sounds like a spirit level? I'm not sure it's quite as versatile or time efficient as a laser level, but interested to hear your thoughts.

I needed one for a very specific use to start with (they were red lasers then!) and now - would not be without it.
If you fancy setting out kitchen worktops, plug heights, light switches - all around a room, perfectly, then use it for finding verticals for wallpaper - just incredibly useful.
How one uses a piece of tube and some water for that, (and no, they are not 'more versatile' IMO, and would be a right pain to use) well good luck to you. You will not be as accurate as a decent laser and tripod - I used one for levels round a 12m room, for loads of things.
Depends on what usage you intend (it will end up being used way more than you imagine) on what you get, mine is Bosch, and would certainly buy again.
But I do use it regularly.

Earlier this year I worked with a German friend of mine who used a laser level to do a sleeper raised flower bed . Never seen one used before. Precision engineering

How one uses a piece of tube and some water for that, (and no, they are not 'more versatile' IMO, and would be a right pain to use) well good luck to you. You will not be as accurate as a decent laser and tripod -

It's an aside ,but what can be accomplished with just a hosepipe and water and patience astonished me when I was a young sprog in the N Borneo Ulu and that's ..what we had.

From leveling founds... to happy Client: about 1996:

1995-mph1_600px.jpg

1995-mph_600px.jpg

check the reflections - that is a level floor!

A transparent plastic tube and water is as accurate and more versatile than a laser and cheaper.

Indeed the Pyramids are only around 50mm out of level across what 50 Metres, they didn't even have plastic tubes.

Are water levels less accurate during a full moon I wonder ? :D

I remember helping someone build some decking and we used the tube of water method for levelling. It was great for that. Lasers aren't great in daylight.

I bought one of these a few years ago. I don’t remember it being so expensive so I must have got a deal. Does the job nicely. Used it for some waterlines on a couple of boats, and it seems to be as flat as the water, so that’s a good sign

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
People have been getting things level for ages but a laser is very convenient and can be used by fools. A friend is handy to mark that dot.

It's a different tool, it will do some but not all of what a laser level will do. What you're saying is like saying that you can dig a hole with a garden fork so you don't need a spade. Maybe, but if you want to cut turf, a fork is nearly useless. A spade less so.

nowt wrong with water levels for sure they work, bit of faffing though. think a laser possibly more accurate if you you can determine an exact pin point. a laser beam mark/incication ime is fairly wide so difficult to be 100% spot on.
if i was building a house again, a laser or water level.

advertisement

Back