advertisement

Habitat Radius Double Bed

droodzilla

pfm Member
Bit of a long shot but...

I'm trying to work out the best mattress size for the above bed:

https://www.habitat.co.uk/product/9413382?clickPR=plp:61:61

I can't decide between between the standard double (135 x 190 cm) and the EU double size (140 x 200 cm) as available (e.g.) here:

https://simbasleep.com/products/simba-hybrid-pro-mattress

One problem is that the Habitat website only seems to give the outer dimensions of the bed (142 x 212 cm). It's not clear what the dimensions of the platform where the mattress sits are.

Does anyone have direct experience of this bed? Do I need a standard double mattress or some fancy European nonsense? ;)

Surprised by how narrow they are! The mattress page gives the "standard" double as 135cm wide, which seems a bit tight for two people on a regular basis. Is this an English thing? The opposite of everything being enormous in America? At Ikea, at least in Italy and Israel, the standard double is 160cm wide. And 140cm they call a "French" bed, which always makes me think of Yves Montand and Simone Signoret sharing a Gauloise sans filtre.

Surprised by how narrow they are! The mattress page gives the "standard" double as 135cm wide, which seems a bit tight for two people on a regular basis. Is this an English thing? The opposite of everything being enormous in America?

It's definitely the standard double in the UK and is fine, plus it probably works better with the sometimes smaller bedroom sizes (and perhaps people sizes!) in the UK.

It's definitely the standard double in the UK and is fine, plus it probably works better with the sometimes smaller bedroom sizes (and perhaps people sizes!) in the UK.
We went to a (UK) king size (150cm wide) a few years ago. Now if we sleep in a regular double, we find it a wee bit narrow.

Yup - a standard double seems quite narrow now for us. OK for a holiday cottage for a week or two.

Standard UK double 4'6" is fine when you are young and randy. If you are older and still randy you need more room - falling off is less funny, interuptus and all that.

Bigger helps when kids decide that your bed is better than theirs at 2 in the morning!. When we ended up with three kids (accidental twins second time around!) we went Super King - 6'. Which is lovely now there are just two of us. There is room to choose whether/where to sleep or cuddle. But the mattress is one heck of a weight and so a bit of pain to turn.

Well, I think looking at information that was clearly available at the link I posted is cheating, but thanks anyway! ;)

To be honest I overthought this one. Someone was selling one on eBay and made a big thing about its non-standard size but, in retrospective, I think he might have bought a European version.

Thanks again!

We have a U.K. king size which is great for all the reasons JensenHealey mentions above - can accommodate the kids for birthday and Xmas breakfast and allows you to choose warmth or a bit cooler, and is not oversized for a Victorian house.

We went on holiday to Sri Lanka a few years ago and had a room in the St Andrews hotel in Nuwara Elia with a bed that was 9 feet across and 9 feet long! I’ve never seen anything like it, you had to go miles just to get out of it!

we'd quite like a water bed, but I'm not sure it will work well with the destructer brothers.

We once stayed somewhere in Sri Lanka and had a room with a circular bed.

Elsewhere (in Abuja) I was presented with a vibrating bed....very weird hotel where I saw a "prince" with a leopard on a lead. After retiring for the night, I went back to the bar to buy cigarettes, as I was waiting to pay, a lady stuck her hand down my trousers and asked if I wanted fun. Same hotel used to let the ladies ring rooms at night (for a commission) who would offer services.......not as bad as the podium dancer nightclub in Lagos but that is another story, as is the grinding in Kumasi......

We got one earlier this year, very similar but different model to the one you’re looking at, ours is a king size and would say the bed frame is slightly on the large size, perfectly fine but has to be positioned just so to be spot on.

Must say, the (self) build quality is very very good, absolutely no noise at all….:)

(Really is a good design and assembles easy).

I still like mattresses covering the floor but there’s nowhere to tuck the Jojo away these days.

we'd quite like a water bed, but I'm not sure it will work well with the destructer brothers.

We once stayed somewhere in Sri Lanka and had a room with a circular bed.

Elsewhere (in Abuja) I was presented with a vibrating bed....very weird hotel where I saw a "prince" with a leopard on a lead. After retiring for the night, I went back to the bar to buy cigarettes, as I was waiting to pay, a lady stuck her hand down my trousers and asked if I wanted fun. Same hotel used to let the ladies ring rooms at night (for a commission) who would offer services.......not as bad as the podium dancer nightclub in Lagos but that is another story, as is the grinding in Kumasi......
Have you got a link? Asking for a friend.

advertisement

Back