advertisement

Deep Fat Fryers, countertop

blossomchris

I feel better than James Brown
suggestions please for above, does not need to fry large quantities

no air dryer suggestions please, tried them, before.

I have no particular recommendation but would suggest that you choose one with a wide temperature range - some start at 150c which is too high for some purposes.

I agree with the OP's comment about air dryers. I'll give mine one more chance then it's off to a charity shop if it doesn't impress. A great idea that just doesn't work quite well enough.

The problem is they reek and you have to keep filtering the oil and take up space . I used to use mine outside in the back garden and store it in the garage. Went through a mad phase of making pakora…. Now this thread is making me think about get another one. Chips!! I demand chips

Now maybe a decent heavy pan, a thermometer and oil is a more practical alternative?

The problem is they reek and you have to keep filtering the oil and take up space . I used to use mine outside in the back garden and store it in the garage. Went through a mad phase of making pakora…. Now this thread is making me think about get another one. Chips!! I demand chips

Now maybe a decent heavy pan, a thermometer and oil is a more practical alternative?

we do use the pan method, but the clean up takes almost the same amount of time. i have never used a designated fryer, hoping it will help some recipes

we do use the pan method, but the clean up takes almost the same amount of time. i have never used a designated fryer, hoping it will help some recipes
They are good, better than a pan in that it’s thermostatic, basket lift and drain position etc but it’s the question of how much real estate it takes up in cupboards as you mentioned. When I was a boy, it was a big pan with dripping permanently embedded in it.

Bought one of these last year, makes amazing chips and fish, better than a chip shop IMO.

I should have bought the double one but we get by with the single.

I keep it in the shed when it's not being used.

https://www.easyequipment.com/buffalo-gg198.html

Nesbitts are good for stuff like this too.

I bought a 19kg propane bottle last year too along with a single burner which I use outside to cook steaks and other meats, probably the best items I've ever bought for cooking, I just stick a cast iron griddle on the top of the burner and leave it to get hot and fire the steaks onto the griddle, no more stinking smoke or fat in the kitchen.

I know you're a veggie Chris but you can do vegetables on it too we recently griddled an aubergine for aubergine parmigiana and the aubergine was perfect, previously I couldn't stand aubergine cause it always seemed slimy to me but the griddle method produced dry well cooked aubergine, I just rubbed some olive oil onto the thin slices of aubergine then griddled them.

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/?cm_mmc=A...gzg6YrP35RSbXrZOTioXAF0eLaJ23YUsaAu1vEALw_wcB

I agree with the OP's comment about air dryers. I'll give mine one more chance then it's off to a charity shop if it doesn't impress. A great idea that just doesn't work quite well enough.
I;m interested in finding out more. We're thinking of an air fryer, mainly to be healthier and also to avoid smells etc., but would love to find out the pros and cons from someone who's used one extensively. Or at least twice, which is the same thing ;)

We use catering ones for the business (street food) both single and double basket. I would say get the highest kw element you can - usually 3kw for domestic and also get the largest volume tank you think is feasible. Ours are 6 litres but work ok with 5 litres. The issue is that with smaller oil quantities the oil drops in temperature once you put anything other than a small quantity in. Its not cheap to fill them up but for home use you can reuse the oil a few times
At home we’ve started putting chips, veg etc coated in oil in the oven for 20mins or so and then brown them off in a a frying pan with about an inch of oil

I;m interested in finding out more. We're thinking of an air fryer, mainly to be healthier and also to avoid smells etc., but would love to find out the pros and cons from someone who's used one extensively. Or at least twice, which is the same thing ;)

My old mum swears by her Tefal Actifry. It uses a paddle and a tbsp of oil to cook a wadge of chips.

Bought one of these last year, makes amazing chips and fish, better than a chip shop IMO.

I should have bought the double one but we get by with the single.

I keep it in the shed when it's not being used.

https://www.easyequipment.com/buffalo-gg198.html

Nesbitts are good for stuff like this too.

I bought a 19kg propane bottle last year too along with a single burner which I use outside to cook steaks and other meats, probably the best items I've ever bought for cooking, I just stick a cast iron griddle on the top of the burner and leave it to get hot and fire the steaks onto the griddle, no more stinking smoke or fat in the kitchen.

I know you're a veggie Chris but you can do vegetables on it too we recently griddled an aubergine for aubergine parmigiana and the aubergine was perfect, previously I couldn't stand aubergine cause it always seemed slimy to me but the griddle method produced dry well cooked aubergine, I just rubbed some olive oil onto the thin slices of aubergine then griddled them.

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/?cm_mmc=A...gzg6YrP35RSbXrZOTioXAF0eLaJ23YUsaAu1vEALw_wcB

nail on head, and a removeable inner section for easier cleaning. this may well suffice
like you we have a electric single ring in the garage for summer/smelly stuff, drag it all outside on a workbench, in the warmer times.
we are not yet entirely veggie Tony, bit of chicken now and again, but almost. try Ottolenghi for aubergine recipes, work for us.

We use catering ones for the business (street food) both single and double basket. I would say get the highest kw element you can - usually 3kw for domestic and also get the largest volume tank you think is feasible. Ours are 6 litres but work ok with 5 litres. The issue is that with smaller oil quantities the oil drops in temperature once you put anything other than a small quantity in. Its not cheap to fill them up but for home use you can reuse the oil a few times
At home we’ve started putting chips, veg etc coated in oil in the oven for 20mins or so and then brown them off in a a frying pan with about an inch of oil

get the temperature drop thing, especially in your commercial environment.

nail on head, and a removeable inner section for easier cleaning. this may well suffice
like you we have a electric single ring in the garage for summer/smelly stuff, drag it all outside on a workbench, in the warmer times.
we are not yet entirely veggie Tony, bit of chicken now and again, but almost. try Ottolenghi for aubergine recipes, work for us.

I bought the burner ring Chris you know the ones that they have on sites for boiling tea urns? Fantastic thing, the gas bottle lasted me eighteen months anyway I stuck a M&S half cooked roasted chicken on the griddle the other day, absolutely superb if you like sort of caramelised stuff.

advertisement

Back