advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
no Sekt? reccos? Cremant de Alsace?

I thought there was expertise on here?

Cremant d'Alsace Brut Dirler-Cade
Riesling Sekt Brut Hanewald-Schwerdt Bad Durkheim

I think there’s lots of expertise here, maybe just not in the direction you require. The two above are on my list of “wines I’ve been offered by people I trust” but I haven’t tried them myself. I reckon they must be in the £15-£20 a bottle range.

Drank too much during dinner out with an old friend on Monday night. So only now finishing the last glass of that Crystallum Cinema opened on Saturday: possibly even better if that is possible after 4 days in the fridge. No hurry to drink the rest now.

The second half of a magnum of cheapo Saint Cosme CdR ‘Domaine des Viollettes’, rebottled as magnums don’t fit in the Aldi cooler. A late career in graphic design awaits, I know. This is very decent stuff - a southern style unlike their standard 100% Syrah - it gives Guigal a run for its money and is a euro or two cheaper. Sadly only available in French supermarket Super U during the autumn wine fair. This is the 2019 - at least the 2020 came in single bottles.

Oooh look, a selfie...

51702592271_d11d789df4.jpg

Last edited:
we had some lovely Sekt in Berlin about 5 years. So nice it sticks in the memory- hence me wanting to get hold of some

I've bought into the hype.Vik.

Serious ducats spent on this probably more than
the Macallan £3 million.

Further exploration of the French/South American connection initially Patrick Valette and now Cristián Vallejo as winemakers.

Cab.Sauvignon and Cab.franc. may I suggest a
delicious wine.
"Obviously, we are Chile, so we have color, density, structure and tannin. To make an elegant, well-balanced wine is a challenge"
I think they succeeded ,I'm sure the price would be double if this was a Bordeaux.

Last edited:
Good stuff. Patrick Valette is an old mate. Used to stay with him and his (extensive) tribe when he was at Ch.Pavie/Pavie Decesse back in the happy days.

My only bottle of Clemens Busch Pundericher 2011. I'm no expert on riesling let alone older riesling but I like it. It is interesting.

51705672130_045f2b82cf.jpg

Sorg night. This is wonderful of course. According to CT it cost me the equivalent of just over seven quid at the vineyard. For God’s sake... It’s time I went back to Alsace, it’s been nearly three years. I’ve even been checking the prices for the end of January in my favourite Colmar hotel. My mouth is watering even as I picture the restaurant, and the whole region is lovely in the winter...

A trip to chez Sorg would be obligatory of course. Whichever member of the family you end up talking to, it’s always interesting one way or another. Then of course there’s Ernest Burn, aka vinous heaven on earth - how long can I resist?

Cabaña Las Lilas it was. More charred meat, salad, and wine. This time it was Zuccardi’s Emma, Bonarda rather than Malbec, and then a Bonarda from the Enemigo lot. Both bottles, well, Bonarda generally, are very well suited to beef and, again, the setting helps with the appreciation. Good, animated, unrushed conversation with like minds, punctuated by a shared appreciation for how that particular end of the “entraña” marries so well with the rocket and Parmesan salad, or the “ojo de bife” and chimichurri tweak the flavour of the wine.
It’s been a few years since I was last here, and I’ve very much missed it. And the wine.

Last edited:
Another fine CT review of a wine I have (my annotations)

did not pay enough attention while drinking to give meaningful notes.
(Fair enough, I never do...)

it was dark red.
(See, you were paying attention!)

needed to breathe a bit, but not much (too much breathing made it taste like nothing much at all).
(sounds like it might be tricky getting the amount of breathing just right...)

it was quite dry.
(figures...)

was not at all bad tasting, but it wasn't _really_ good, either.
(I have to say you’re not selling this...)

had a chance to buy more today and balked at the $20 price tag.
(Mmm, think I would have done too.)

so, it wasn't good enough to warrant buying again
(Got there in the end. You could have saved all that trouble with a simple ‘bof’.)

When Black Friday comes
I’m going to dig myself a hole
Gonna lay (wine) down in it
’Til I satisfy my soul...

51707220709_ca20f523b7_z.jpg

I reckon the Young And Exciting Matias Riccitelli took Big Jim’s ‘Bulkier is Better’ bottling course. I weighed each of those shown, along with two other reds that came to hand -

ABC 1650gm
Riccitelli 1539gm
Others 1329 and 1341gm.

Allowing 750gm for the contents I reckon this means Matias’ bottle uses 35% more glass and Mr C’s a whopping 54% more than an average of the other two.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back