advertisement

DIY Oak Rack

Yes instant, I used it to fill the pipps in my pippy oak settee that is finished with Danish oil.

15th October by Pete Maddex, on Flickr

Use the cheap pound shop stuff, my one try with Arldite was a failure as it set almost instantly.

Pete
Well thank you. That's the one thing I'll learn today, and for once its useful!
I may try it on an offcut but need to venture out to the pound shop first - something I try to avoid at this time of year as the Christmas panic has hit town big time..!

Surely you get a better result with better quality coffee? ;)
Nice idea @Pete MB&D. Any clues on the epoxy you used, or are you saying that you've only tried it once and it went off like a rocket?
When I built my kitchen worktops with used 3x2 softwood, planed up and biscuit jointed into 'slabs', I used a mixture of osmo door oil and fines from the sanding. Works well but takes days to set properly. :rolleyes:

Surely you get a better result with better quality coffee? ;)
Nice idea @Pete MB&D. Any clues on the epoxy you used, or are you saying that you've only tried it once and it went off like a rocket?
When I built my kitchen worktops with used 3x2 softwood, planed up and biscuit jointed into 'slabs', I used a mixture of osmo door oil and fines from the sanding. Works well but takes days to set properly. :rolleyes:
I used the pound shops finest epoxy and whatever instant coffee we had at the time, I guess you could use beans adjust the roast to match the colour of wood... ;)

I did the same thing my self with sawdust and varnish on some parquet flooring work tops.

Pete

It was the modern pre-assembled stuff that comes in sheets, it didn't last long it shrunk and warped, which is the reason I had lots of sawdust took days to sand it flat, I made Birch ply tops then went to oak countertop.

Pete

I didn't leave it long enough to acclimatise before sticking it down, rooky mistake but a valuable lesson.

Pete

Tell me about it. I built some fitted wardrobes and cross-halved the door frames with vertical infill battens, all softwood. Was in Jan about 8-9 yrs ago. Over the next 2 years, they slowly shrank causing various twisting and slight splitting. Have learned to ignore it by now.... :oops:

Looks like nice bits of wood. Where'd you get them and how much should you expect to pay for stable oak in shelf-sized sizes? I need to sort out my rack situation which might justify bespoke :)
These are the people
https://www.interestingtimbers.co.uk/
Don't be put off by the rather wordy website, David and Catherine took my project to heart, searched out what they thought would be perfect for my rack and having just opened the package I am really pleased. It looks stunning already, can't wait to get it made although I am wearing a sling for a few weeks..
I paid just under £200 Inc vat and delivery (£196 I think) for 3 pieces 550 x 300approx x25. It is kiln dried and ready to use.
I'd certainly use them again and hope that you or others might!

I was inspired by some of your creations so built this out of some spare wood. Ikea chopping board £8.

advertisement

Back