advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the Tories got their regressive social care bill through despite a few dissenters in the ranks. As ever protecting the wealth of the Rees Moggs, Sunaks etc is a far higher priority than some elderly folk in Blackburn, Bury or wherever who having saved for a whole lifetime to own a £100k house and will now be in a position of not being able to hand anything to their kids if they go into care when they need it. The the richest will never even get close to paying 20% of their assets, the poorest will be reamed to well over 80% of theirs. As ever Tories are utterly vicious class warriors. What’s ours is theirs, but never vice-versa.

Much as I'd be delighted to see the johnson given the bums rush, I do feel that this would be a similar playout as may. Much joy on her going, but replacement with something indescribably worse.
In this case a plausible right winger with asset stripping skills and much political credit with the hoi paloi after his lockdown handouts. We're going badly now, but we could go far worse, and faster.

I see the Tories got their regressive social care bill through despite a few dissenters in the ranks. As ever protecting the wealth of the Rees Moggs, Sunaks etc is a far higher priority than some elderly folk in Blackburn, Bury or wherever who having saved for a whole lifetime to own a £100k house and will now be in a position of not being able to hand anything to their kids if they go into care when they need it. The the richest will never even get close to paying 20% of their assets, the poorest will be reamed to well over 80% of theirs. As ever Tories are utterly vicious class warriors. What’s ours is theirs, but never vice-versa.
Yes, absolutely gives the lie to all the 'levelling up' guff.

Yet still the reports I've heard/seen have focused mainly on the fact that there was a considerable rebellion - yet more diversion from the party's/ministers' awfulness as the 'politics as reality TV' angle outpaces the damage to people's lives in the race for attention.

Yet still the reports I've heard/seen have focused mainly on the fact that there was a considerable rebellion - yet more diversion from the party's/ministers' awfulness as the 'politics as reality TV' angle outpaces the damage to people's lives in the race for attention.

Again it highlights the catastrophic failure of ‘red team vs. blue team’ tribal politics as the most those who knew damn well this bill was wrong, unfair, and would really damage the lives of their constituents did was to abstain. They were too cowardly to vote against a clearly inequitable bill. Many more just moronically followed the party whip and voted for like the brainless drones they are. We really need to break away from this utterly discredited system and find a form of government that is based on logic, evidence and rational response, not brainless football thug tribalism. The whole thing is just too dumb to exist in this century.

Edit: In fairness some Tories did actually have the backbone to vote against this sham elitist bill, full list here (Guardian).

This social care bill is typical of the ill thought out way the Tories under BJ works. Was the vote just for a general consensus of social care ? as there has not been a White Paper to study the details yet!!!!!!

Again it highlights the catastrophic failure of ‘red team vs. blue team’ tribal politics as the most those who knew damn well this bill was wrong, unfair, and would really damage the lives of their constituents did was to abstain. They were too cowardly to vote against a clearly inequitable bill. Many more just moronically followed the party whip and voted for like the brainless drones they are. <snip>

Edit: In fairness some Tories did actually have the backbone to vote against this sham elitist bill, full list here (Guardian).

This social care bill is typical of the ill thought out way the Tories under BJ works. Was the vote just for a general consensus of social care ? as there has not been a White Paper to study the details yet!!!!!!
I wonder if some people are hoping/expecting the Bill to get mullered in the Lords, and be able to vote through some more carefully-considered amendments sent back from there.

Given just how many extremely wealthy Tory donors have bought peerages recently I’d not expect much from the HoL regarding “levelling up”.

There’s a word in Yiddish for BJ’s style - chutzpah.
The 19th Century Scots word "Hingum-tringum" meaning feeble and barely presentable, just about hanging together - seems apt.
Of course there are several, more modern, Scottish words to describe the Prime Minister, but I can't use them on this forum...

The real battle will be between the low tax Tories (Sunak, Lord Frost), backed by the Torygraph, and the populist Tories (Boris) who want to keep the Red Wall voters onside. Thus far, it looks like the former are winning, with the HS2 U-turn and the social care plans.

It’ll be interesting to see which way the Sun and the Daily Mail jump.

The Mail seems to have been subject to a purge of late. The editor of the past three years who dared to run front pages attacking corruption such as Paterson, cash for peerages etc has been sacked and Dacre is back in after being blocked from the Ofcom role by public opinion/mass campaigning (Good Law Project, StopFundingHate etc). Looks like Rothermere is taking back control and ensuring the paper stays true to its gutter-fascist routes. Britain Trump will be delighted as whilst he failed to buy the Ofcom role he’s got his party-faithful Der Stürmer back.

Murdoch will always be Murdoch.

There was some comment that Johnson’s grotesque Panto act has been a marvellous distraction from just this.

The real battle will be between the low tax Tories (Sunak, Lord Frost), backed by the Torygraph, and the populist Tories (Boris) who want to keep the Red Wall voters onside. Thus far, it looks like the former are winning, with the HS2 U-turn and the social care plans.

(Comparatively) generous blundering incompetence mixed with populist authoritarian nationalism vs ruthlessly efficient ideologically driven austerity mixed with managerial smarm and Thatcher (or even Rees-Mogg Snr.) worshipping vampirism.

Choices, choices.

It's a head scratcher, for sure.

I do wonder sometimes if BJ does things like this on purpose?

I can’t work him out. It is obviously a lot of the bumbling idiot thing is a smokescreen to deflect from a remarkably elitist mindset built upon privilege and laziness, but sometimes he goes so far he actually alienates his own supporters. I see his class warrior agenda in most things he does, so he doesn’t mask it that well, but a few minutes ago the Tory propagandist Tim Montgomerie was on Sky and far from defensive of Johnson. He appeared to be attacking from the right and complaining that a government with such a huge majority was failing to implement radical policy and make real conservative reforms (I assume that means tax cuts, small state etc, but he wasn’t clear). Predictably he failed to engage on the rank corruption and theft of this government, they all turn a blind eye to that. I only caught part of it as I was washing stuff up, feeding the cat etc, but the conclusion seemed to be if Labour replaced Starmer with Rachel Reeves Johnson would be in real trouble as he has no idea how to speak to women. Something like that anyway (the cat was talking way more sense at the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back