advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you guys are forgetting how physical football was in those days. Sounness could handle himself and made his presence felt to intimidate so that he and the team could then play football afterwards.
Not all players were as thuggish as Souness, he seemed to enjoy it. Hard to believe Hoddle was from the same era.

Hoddle is the best English passer of the ball in my lifetime - Beckham got close for a while but then tailed off.

As for skill in the 70s, what about Liam Brady - a wand of a left foot and on those pitches too.
I nominate Terry Hibbitt as a great passer of the ball. Great pass for the second goal and he did that a lot to make the most of Macdonald’s pace.

(I was among the fans behind the goal mentioned by Macdonald)

Hoddle was a great passer of the ball but I preferred the likes of Brooking, Francis, Ball, Wilkins and a few others. I thought Hoddle, along with Stan Bowles, Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Duncan Mackenzie etc had great ability but lacked consistency. When I think back to games from the 70’s and 80’s I wonder how some of those players would have been on the pitches of today, with the different quality of the ball itself and the greater protection afforded such players from the hackers.

you’re starting to annoy me with your constant complaints about Salah, please stop

I was responding to a post, as I have told you; did you read the post I was replying to? Put me on ignore if you want one-sided debate only.

Not a diver, but...

It gets ‘interesting’ after a minute or so. I saw him almost break a player in two at Newcastle.

As a kid, I thought he was an incredible player. As an adult, I see him as an incredible player and a dirty one. He would have been a great player without it though and probably successful in any era; some players just need the fire to drive them to levels of greatness beyond their skill.

As a kid, I thought he was an incredible player. As an adult, I see him as an incredible player and a dirty one. He would have been a great player without it though and probably successful in any era; some players just need the fire to drive them to levels of greatness beyond their skill.
Deliberate dirty play is also cheating, imo. Great player, though.

I also have a bit of a hate of players waving their hand at the ref in a ‘give him a card gesture’ and also hockling on an opponent.

Deliberate dirty play is also cheating, imo. Great player, though.

I also have a bit of a hate of players waving their hand at the ref in a ‘give him a card gesture’ and also hockling on an opponent.
Definitely. I would like refs to start booking players who approach them. Currently, almost any incident results in four or five players surrounding the ref and demanding a VAR check. Other than the captain, perhaps, there is no reason for any approach.

Let’s hope his mates in the media, manure supporters who think he was mistreated by Newcastle fans and those who think he’s as good as Benitez get behind him in his quest.

He deserves another chance but at a decent club. Sheff Utd, Huddersfield, Wigan, Crystal Pal, Birmingham, Sunderland, Hull, Aston Villa, Sheff Wed and Newcastle...all gash, obvs.

Former Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce is said to be "very keen" on the short-term managerial role at Manchester United. The 60-year-old Englishman made more than 300 appearances for United as a player.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/59380102 ( probably will disappear later )
Source: Manc Evening News

Maybe if Eddie Howe has waited another couple of weeks, he could have got the Man U job, at least on a caretaker basis until a proper manager becomes available.

I nominate Terry Hibbitt as a great passer of the ball. Great pass for the second goal and he did that a lot to make the most of Macdonald’s pace.

(I was among the fans behind the goal mentioned by Macdonald)

Hoddle was a great passer of the ball but I preferred the likes of Brooking, Francis, Ball, Wilkins and a few others. I thought Hoddle, along with Stan Bowles, Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Duncan Mackenzie etc had great ability but lacked consistency. When I think back to games from the 70’s and 80’s I wonder how some of those players would have been on the pitches of today, with the different quality of the ball itself and the greater protection afforded such players from the hackers.
Some fabulous players there - Sir Trev is my all time hero:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back