advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember once going on a walk along a mountain path in the south of Crete and suddenly, in the middle of nowhere, there was a wooden statue a bit like those ones in Naples, but large. I asked the locals about it and they said it was a local tradition, I guess going back to pagan times.

And of course there’s a wonderful one in the Guggenheim in Venice

B19907-C2-973-A-45-AC-A8-A0-C25-FB562-EC80.jpg

On a less priapic theme that in turn reminds me of a stay in Mortagne-au-Perche. I had read that there was a famous giant sculpture of a wild boar in the woods overlooking the valley. I asked the staff at the hotel where it was, but was struggling to remember the right word. I got some blank and downright perplexed looks. Later I realised this was because I had asked about a macaron rather than a marcassin. Mind you, the chance to see a statue of a giant macaron overlooking the valley would be enough to get me wandering through the forest.

Just bought a pile of stuff from this company

The General Wine Company Shipper Merchant West Sussex Hampshire Surrey

Basically I know the owner's wife, and one thing lead to another, I sent them a list of wines I've been enjoying recently and asked them if they've got anything they think I may like, I think I said max £30 a bottle, and they came up with a list of eight wines for less than £120. These

Capture.jpg

Anyway I'll post if there's anything interesting in the batch.

91558794-30-BC-4416-8824-CD24813-E14-BC.jpg

Azienda Agricola Fraciolli Lombardi, disgusting, by turns too sweet or too sour, you see it here ready to go into the chicken with fennel and saffron.

Just bought a pile of stuff from this company

The General Wine Company Shipper Merchant West Sussex Hampshire Surrey

Basically I know the owner's wife, and one thing lead to another, I sent them a list of wines I've been enjoying recently and asked them if they've got anything they think I may like, I think I said max £30 a bottle, and they came up with a list of eight wines for less than £120. These

Capture.jpg

Anyway I'll post if there's anything interesting in the batch.

2-A77636-B-2-B0-C-4942-9-F35-E2-C50-DB9-B362.jpg

Domaine Mur Mur Ium Ventoux Extrem 2014! Totally delicious, fruit and gravitas. The only problem is the price - I think it’s very correctly priced at £22.99, it’s not a bargain but it is something where you will feel no regrets. But - just. Only just.

The back label says mur mur is also known as murmure des abeilles, grenache and Syrah, new oak barrels for 15 months - no horrid oak is tasteable. Try it if you see it.

Last edited:
All this talk about pinot noir on the other wine thread has reminded me that my Crystallum Cinema is really nice now so opening another. They are 2015 and not sure how long they last...seems a good excuse to me.

All this talk about pinot noir on the other wine thread has reminded me that my Crystallum Cinema is really nice now so opening another. They are 2015 and not sure how long they last...seems a good excuse to me.
Finding it very confusing to have two threads. Especially now that they are also discussing wine. I did wonder given that they are typically discussing Stiff drinks, whether the phallic images earlier in the thread were better posted there........ Enjoy your pinot noir.

Blimey, I turn my back for a couple of weeks and suddenly folk are posting on upstart new threads. Christmas Wine, accept no substitute...

This is fab stuff from The Young and Talented Matias Riccitelli. I bought it in January when Majestic were offering it at £18/bottle. They still are, but it is your job to find a store that has stock - they are not going to help. (Hint - I don’t think there is one.)

This could be the best Malbec I have tasted (so far). It reminds me a bit of the Brumont Bouscassé Vielles Vignes (100% tannat) which is high praise as that is the direction in which my tastebuds seem to be drifting in my dotage. In fact I think one of my Montus La Tyre’s will be my Twelfth Night bottle (in celebration to mark the end of the Ghastly Season.)

Five of these left. Should have bought more. I’m an idiot, but you knew that.

51693546643_e097c08704.jpg

This was gifted (well two bottles were) a couple of years ago by a restaurateur friend.

20211121-193446.jpg

quite pleasant. Not sure I'd pay what he charges in the restaurant though.

Blimey, I turn my back for a couple of weeks and suddenly folk are posting on upstart new threads. Christmas Wine, accept no substitute...

This is fab stuff from The Young and Talented Matias Riccitelli. I bought it in January when Majestic were offering it at £18/bottle. They still are, but it is your job to find a store that has stock - they are not going to help. (Hint - I don’t think there is one.)

This could be the best Malbec I have tasted (so far). It reminds me a bit of the Brumont Bouscassé Vielles Vignes (100% tannat) which is high praise as that is the direction in which my tastebuds seem to be drifting in my dotage. In fact I think one of my Montus La Tyre’s will be my Twelfth Night bottle (in celebration to mark the end of the Ghastly Season.)

Five of these left. Should have bought more. I’m an idiot, but you knew that.

51693546643_e097c08704.jpg

Im very keen to try this because I like the label, and I can get it for about £20 - a later vintage but still. But I don’t want to commit to buying 6 before tasting 1. What to do?

Im very keen to try this because I like the label, and I can get it for about £20 - a later vintage but still. But I don’t want to commit to buying 6 before tasting 1. What to do?
Me too,but I don't want a fruit bomb.Please try it.
Actually I might get it a mixed case from Majestic
it's ~£18.Its easy to check which stores have it.

If it is definitely the same wine I would grab them with both hands. I can’t find them at less than £28 now. At £20 I’d split half a dozen with you, in whatever proportion you fancy.

I might get it a mixed case from Majestic
it's ~£18.Its easy to check which stores have it.
If you can find it in a Majestic store I will raise my trilby to you. And ask you which one.

I can’t see any reference to the vintage - have they hidden it somewhere? Whatever it is, that looks like a good buy. The labelling is subtly different - the bottle they show is the same as the original one that I had. But as I said there, I’m pretty sure they are the same. If you want to order half a dozen I’ll take three, or five if you don’t like it. How’s that? In fact, I’ll extend the same offer to the matching label Cabernet Franc at the same price. I’d like to try that, and it would cut down on the postage cost per bottle.

I’m curious about the merchant, though - search for ‘Ministry Of Drinks’ and compare addresses and prices for the same bottles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back