advertisement

A wooden horn speaker for your phone.

AndyU

pfm Member
Well, if you are looking for something for Christmas, how about this wooden horn speaker that you park your phone in.

https://www.vaiawood.eu/prodotto/vaia-cube/

Looks great, no batteries to find, no instruction manual to lose, no DSP, no electronics, natural wood, carbon neutral, what more could anyone want?!

thanks for making my day.Now what type of wood is used I am sure that sort of thing matters? things like that always do

thanks for making my day.Now what type of wood is used I am sure that sort of thing matters? things like that always do
Well, seeing as how I need to practice my Italian, here’s a translation of some of their advert …

“VAIA is also a passive soundbox which produces warm and deep sounds. It’s spontaneous amplification ability is due to red pine, which is famous because it is used by luthiers to make stringed instruments. All you need to do is rest your smartphone on it. Production is exclusively by local craftsmen to increase the aesthetic value of the product. We work exclusively with woodworkers who use wood from fallen trees and who guarantee high quality standards. Wood is a durable material which can be used without consuming electrical energy. The life-cycle of this product is potentially eternal because it can be returned to nature with zero impact or be recycled for other uses in the future.”

I think I have to get one.

What's the thinking behind the crack in the wooden cube? I get the horn part, but the crack looks.... well, like it just happened to split in a funny way....??

What's the thinking behind the crack in the wooden cube? I get the horn part, but the crack looks.... well, like it just happened to split in a funny way....??
Dunno, but if you look at this video (skip the motormouth Italian) you can briefly see through the crack to the horn, so I suspect the crack is decorative. The little hole on the bottom at the back is so you can thread a recharging cable through.

Here’s some of the story behind the project - in November 2018 there were violent storms in the dolomites which caused terrible destruction of the forests there, and the VAIA project uses wood from those fallen trees for the “imperfetto” version, and for each cube will replant a tree.

Well, seeing as how I need to practice my Italian, here’s a translation of some of their advert …

“VAIA is also a passive soundbox which produces warm and deep sounds. It’s spontaneous amplification ability is due to red pine, which is famous because it is used by luthiers to make stringed instruments. All you need to do is rest your smartphone on it. Production is exclusively by local craftsmen to increase the aesthetic value of the product. We work exclusively with woodworkers who use wood from fallen trees and who guarantee high quality standards. Wood is a durable material which can be used without consuming electrical energy. The life-cycle of this product is potentially eternal because it can be returned to nature with zero impact or be recycled for other uses in the future.”

I think I have to get one.

My iPhone gave me:

I put my phone in mouth of a wooden beaker I used to keep pens in, nicely adds body and tone. Made of beech I think, cheap, portable, works.

Thanks. Would you be kind enough to let us know the final cost to you?
arrived today - no additional charges and rather nice packaging. I think it might make a handy phone stand and sound boost for Zoom and handsfree/conference calls on the mobile which I do a lot so I might keep it. Increases volume some but does little/nothing to improve sound quality, played from Bandcamp and it still sounded like a shitty phone speaker but louder- they should do a portable version for sod-casting though, the Kid would love that.

y4m8VzLH4wKCvAUlhbt81Q8JFMY4kJS5Jgbs_Yg_5x1hBtr1ZnKMC-4lPg562QjE333dHI4ZqbCuloITD1Zc9AWJsqo_NcOeiZWON_9aWhCrnvU6umC8zbuDujL4UqxJ8HioX0q98yBYv--D3Wovf0u4WBbnvDc774fG0Tu4n3x60pKYrdDrEoIfXtRruf5_cTV

Until recently I was also using a wooden beaker to drop the phone in, with a definite improvement to the sound but ultimately still poo.

I was gifted a JBL Clip3 with another purchase that is surprisingly good, massively better sound that you can actually listen to when pottering around somewhere where the hifis don't reach.

arrived today - no additional charges and rather nice packaging. I think it might make a handy phone stand and sound boost for Zoom and handsfree/conference calls on the mobile which I do a lot so I might keep it. Increases volume some but does little/nothing to improve sound quality, played from Bandcamp and it still sounded like a shitty phone speaker but louder- they should do a portable version for sod-casting though, the Kid would love that.

y4m8VzLH4wKCvAUlhbt81Q8JFMY4kJS5Jgbs_Yg_5x1hBtr1ZnKMC-4lPg562QjE333dHI4ZqbCuloITD1Zc9AWJsqo_NcOeiZWON_9aWhCrnvU6umC8zbuDujL4UqxJ8HioX0q98yBYv--D3Wovf0u4WBbnvDc774fG0Tu4n3x60pKYrdDrEoIfXtRruf5_cTV
Thanks very much for this. I'm out...

advertisement

Back