advertisement

Porsche Lovers - where are you?

GT4 owner here. That counts for nothing when trying to get hold of a GT4 RS. “They’re for loyalty customers only” according to my local OPC, who think they will be allocated three of these next year. £108k will soon become £200k+ when the profiteers flip their cars on Autotrader…..not that I’m bitter or anything :)

https://www.burevalleyclassics.co.uk/ These generally have a good selection, the yellow one is a touch above budget but really good spec

Nice but more than I'd pay for a 997.1 - I'd want to keep £6-8k in the war chest, especially as 'S's are more prone to the cylinder issues.

Annoyingly, one could have got a 997.2 Carrera 12 months ago for about £2k more. Not any more.

997s are excellent value now.

Have wanted to own a 911 for a while. This quote sent me down quite a rabbit hole of seeing what was available on auto trader. I’m just not sure it’s a good time to buy a petrol sports car though. Presumably at some stage petrol cars are going to have punitive taxes to get them off the road?

Have wanted to own a 911 for a while. This quote sent me down quite a rabbit hole of seeing what was available on auto trader. I’m just not sure it’s a good time to buy a petrol sports car though. Presumably at some stage petrol cars are going to have punitive taxes to get them off the road?
That & other things pushed me to get mine this year. It was a now or never moment for me. We’re only here once and I’m getting on with things I always said I’d do but have put off for some reason (excuses really) or another.

Last edited:
Nice but more than I'd pay for a 997.1 - I'd want to keep £6-8k in the war chest, especially as 'S's are more prone to the cylinder issues.

Annoyingly, one could have got a 997.2 Carrera 12 months ago for about £2k more. Not any more.

What a difference a year has made to car values in general. I remember seeing a couple of 997 GT3s for £65 & £70k, now they’re into £90k. Even at £65k they were way out of budget though!

Yep, although at least that yellow one is a 2005 so is £340 tax versus £670 for one registered after March 2006.

If you want a reality check, look at how much 997's cost in other countries. They're a lovely shape no matter what the engine lottery factor is...

What a difference a year has made to car values in general. I remember seeing a couple of 997 GT3s for £65 & £70k, now they’re into £90k. Even at £65k they were way out of budget though!

Yeah, don't talk to me about that !!!
I was sniffing around them early 2020.

All I know is WBAC offers on Porsche's are down alot since August peak.

If I may intercede...

Where are you Porsche lovers going to use these machines to their full potential without inconveniencing (at least) other legitimate road users?
If you are not intending to use the full potential of these vehicles.. why are you buyng them?

I really do not intend to be a 'spoilsport' and I'm not really just sniping at Porsche.. but in a world where the national speed limit is 70 mph..what is the point?

If I may intercede...

Where are you Porsche lovers going to use these machines to their full potential without inconveniencing (at least) other legitimate road users?
If you are not intending to use the full potential of these vehicles.. why are you buyng them?

I really do not intend to be a 'spoilsport' and I'm not really just sniping at Porsche.. but in a world where the national speed limit is 70 mph..what is the point?

Well, the "feel" and sound of the flat-six, especially if it is air-cooled, is very pleasant. The acceleration is exciting, and makes overtaking safer. You can also quickly overtake those slow cars in the fast lane by flicking the wheel and stamping on the throttle for a couple of seconds, and passing on the inside before they know you're there. On a twisty open road you can "dance" them through the curves and fly them down the straights. You have the feeling of having a really well-built machine, which incidentally does not use much petrol and is convenient also for going shopping. The road-holding, once you've learned to drive them, is fantastic.
But I speak from the perspective of a 1987 Carrera, which I bought 20 years ago for about 11,000 Euro and is now worth about 50,000. No power steering, no air conditioning, no catalytic converter. The newer ones may be different.

Yeah, don't talk to me about that !!!
I was sniffing around them early 2020.

All I know is WBAC offers on Porsche's are down alot since August peak.

I’ve just had to Google what they actually do with the cars they buy.

I’m not surprised they’re offering less as I’m guessing most ‘fun’ cars are sold in the summer (guilty - but it was my birthday too :)), so I wouldn’t expect much trade going on leading into winter.

Maybe increased values this summer could’ve just been a one off with all that’s been going since March 2020?

You mentioned "speed limit." Yes, that can be a problem, but one becomes quite clever at not getting caught, knowing where the police set up their radar things. And if you do see one when it is too late, if you stay in the fast lane and keep another car between you and the "camera" they can't get you. The overhead cameras are, admittedly, harder to avoid and very annoying. But they are only on certain roads.

If I may intercede...

I doubt you can use the full potential of any car built today or the last 10-15 years. You can break the speed limit in a 20 mph zone on a bike if you’re fit enough! :)

70 mph..what is the point?

you don't need to exceed this to enjoy. Plenty of interesting and beautiful roads to drive legally without inconveniencing anyone.

Acceleration, noise - being a driving god.

Can take it to a track day.

But I am happy to repeatedly drive past your house at 3am in sports plus mode

If I may intercede...

If you are not intending to use the full potential of these vehicles.. why are you buying them?

Porsches do handle well so it's not all about top speed.

What amazes me is all the mental horsepower SUV's out there. Also, apparently you can spend north of £70k on a hot hatch now!!

VGK9cmy.jpeg

advertisement

Back