advertisement

Why not more experience stores? Rega?!

It is not in the nature of the company to exhibit our products in this way, we support independent retailers with multi brand portfolios to actively encourage comparative demonstrations at various price performance levels, installation (where appropriate) and after sales support on a localised level. Many brands have tried the solus / experience stores and without exception they have failed (Linn, Meridian, B and O, Panasonic, Sony, Bose and I believe Devialet) as the cost is prohibitive and the returns appear too little to support the operation. Funnily, over the years we have actively discouraged some of our retailers from pursuing such a sales model as a solus Rega store.

Any insight much appreciated.

This seems to be fairly close to what is on offer at audio shows. Setting aside covid, the smaller scale audio shows seem fairly healthy at the moment and many of the smaller manufacturers without a significant show room presence seem to assign them a significant part of their marketing budget.

Multiple manufacturers have tried this in the UK over the years, Panasonic, Sony and B&O the ones that first spring to mind. I think with the increasing number of “lifestyle” products these days it’s a great way to draw in more new customers especially those who wouldn’t likely appear in a hifi store!

Didn't Linn have a portable cabin that they used to assemble as shows for a while?

31ca4b3bb5c4b96f18e0079bd0a139ac.jpg

Do Bose still do their own outlets, friend used to work in one in southsea few years back, not sure if still exists.

I think I would prefer a trip to the dentist than a trip to any "experience" store. Please excuse my language but the experience store concept is marketing bollox

It is not in the nature of the company to exhibit our products in this way, we support independent retailers with multi brand portfolios to actively encourage comparative demonstrations at various price performance levels, installation (where appropriate) and after sales support on a localised level. Many brands have tried the solus / experience stores and without exception they have failed (Linn, Meridian, B and O, Panasonic, Sony, Bose and I believe Devialet) as the cost is prohibitive and the returns appear too little to support the operation. Funnily, over the years we have actively discouraged some of our retailers from pursuing such a sales model as a solus Rega store.

Yep. The idea of the "experience" store implies a kind of hubris or conceit that the customer need only, er, experience us.

It's a compliment to say that Rega are the last I'd expect to entertain that.

But Rega could have a full-size animatronic of Roy standing by the door, so every time some trendoid entered Roy could just roll his eyes and sigh. :)

advertisement

Back