advertisement

Melco server/software why do apps sound different?

Frizzy

Liberal anarchist
I use a melco 6tb server, after maxing out rips quality with upgraded usb, Lps, and electrical and physical isolation I’ve been comparing apps that are compatible.
Richard at lotus commented that Roon was useful for organising multiple sources but compromised sound quality. Interesting as I’ve heard for best sound, the recommended way is to control melco via front panel.
Since then I’ve tried using several apps to control server and found they can sound very different, I use Linn kazoo now but even diff Linn apps sound different from each other or melco’ s own app.
Seeing as app is on my iPad and not on server why the very noticeable differences in sound quality?

I notice differences too in my system. My regular app is Linn Kazoo, I use bubble on my android pad.
Linn and Lumin sound similar in my system using an ipad, Melco and bubble apps both have a different sound.
Interesting many years ago when I bought my first Melco my dealer said stick with the app you like the sound of.
@Frizzy - we could be opening a can of worms here!!
Maybe it is about how the apps send the stream to be processed- but really have no idea as my skill is trumpet playing!!

I’m glad others have noticed this too. Thought it must have been my imagination at first but in my system LUMIN is subtly better but better nonetheless than Kazoo. Go figure….

I run a 4TB Innuos Zen which feeds zeros and ones to my LUMIN D1 (connected to my Aesthetix Pandora DAC vai coax). Using Roon, or LMS or the LUMIN app seems to make no difference whatsoever. Even playing the Zen via USB through the Aesthetix using the new Innous App made little or no difference whatsover. These zeros and ones don't appear fussy at my house.

I run a 4TB Innuos Zen which feeds zeros and ones to my LUMIN D1 (connected to my Aesthetix Pandora DAC vai coax). Using Roon, or LMS or the LUMIN app seems to make no difference whatsoever. Even playing the Zen via USB through the Aesthetix using the new Innous App made little or no difference whatsover. These zeros and ones don't appear fussy at my house.
By contrast I found that the new InnuOS Sense 2.0 App provided a nice uplift in sound - infact I was so impressed that I upgraded my Zen Mk2 to a Zenith Mk3 and have now got the former purely functioning as a NAS.Integration with Qobuz is also superb.

Very odd, melco s own app sounds bit veiled compared to kazoo, linns latest app sounds much cleaner and leaner but makes it sound thin tonally.
I don’t get how a app on iPad changes output , does it affect firmware?

If I'm understanding this correctly, Melco servers are basically UPnP servers (twonky by default, optionally MinimServer). To the best of my understanding, a UPnP controller app simply sends messages to the renderer, telling it what songs to stream from the server. It looks like the Melco doubles as a renderer (you connect it directly to the hi-fi). So the app is just sending messages to the Melco to play this or that song. Any transcoding or DSP that might be happening and which could affect the sound is only on the server. Absolutely no audio data goes to or from the control app.

I am loath to crap on threads and ultimately I think you should just go with whatever you enjoy the most, however unless I'm misunderstanding the setup, I don't think this even falls under "bits are bits" (a lame warcry if there ever was one). I would be happy to be corrected about the signal chain, though.

If I'm understanding this correctly, Melco servers are basically UPnP servers (twonky by default, optionally MinimServer). To the best of my understanding, a UPnP controller app simply sends messages to the renderer, telling it what songs to stream from the server. It looks like the Melco doubles as a renderer (you connect it directly to the hi-fi). So the app is just sending messages to the Melco to play this or that song. Any transcoding or DSP that might be happening and which could affect the sound is only on the server. Absolutely no audio data goes to or from the control app.

I am loath to crap on threads and ultimately I think you should just go with whatever you enjoy the most, however unless I'm misunderstanding the setup, I don't think this even falls under "bits are bits" (a lame warcry if there ever was one). I would be happy to be corrected about the signal chain, though.

Doesn’t make sense to me either, that’s why I asked , but it’s easy to hear. I understand server role, this is just weird as you say it’s beyond the bits are bits argument. I understand roon making a difference as loaded on server, but there is online advice from melco saying highest quality is via front console after changing control app settings is disabled; as you say it’s only a control app issue so why the difference that melco their distributors and my dealer themselves acknowledge.
Makes no sense at all to me, but it’s a thing worth knowing.

You are correct. A UPnP controller doesn't touch the audio data. The claim here is a bit like saying the sound of a CD depends on who is holding the remote control.

Still don’t explain company and dealer advice, or opinions of users, I am not alone.
Think I will email melco and distributor and ask.

You are correct. A UPnP controller doesn't touch the audio data. The claim here is a bit like saying the sound of a CD depends on who is holding the remote control.

Yup that about sums its up. Have glass of wine, relax, you are imagining it.

Yup that about sums its up. Have glass of wine, relax, you are imagining it.

Thanks, it's your opinion about what I am hearing in my system in my house that I should accept? I don't think so.
No drink in this house.......a lot in yours????

Oh yes I enjoy a pint! I played some music last night I used my phone to select some of it and my laptop to select other music. Thankfully and logically it did not change the sound at all. It’s a remote control after all. Why not set about proving your experiences?

cans of worms were opened, no putting them back now lol

advertisement

Back