advertisement

Why not more experience stores? Rega?!

benjaminreed1

Benjamin Reed
I was walking around and saw a Devialet experience store. The premise being you listen and have a good brand experience, then may buy in the future via a dealer or internet. (I don't own this brand btw because of the recycling issues).

Brands like Dyson, Tesla, Samsung all do the same experience thing.

I used to go into Billy Vee and a few other dealers but increasingly I find them not inclusive enough, a bit too behind closed doors, unwelcoming, if you know what I mean. (this might just be me!)

Also, with the difficulty of getting to dealerships and the issues with shows, I wonder why brands like Rega don't have experience stores?

Any insight much appreciated.

Sony used to do the same; but I haven't seen one for ages and suspect most if not all have closed down.

From a practical perspective, it's a very expensive proposition for a manufacturer. I'm also not sure why it would be easier to get to than a dealer.

And finally, something in me cringes at the idea of an "experience".

Not sure about 'Experience Stores' but it sure would be good if they get RS to stock the brand. It's about the only Hifi Retailer that is still in many places and easily accessible.

I've always found the chaps in Billy Vee to be very helpful, but the shop could do with a refresh and be a little more welcoming.

As for Rega, I like the idea of an experience store, and it's something I'd certainly visit, but they have built a successful business model around their many dealers that deliberately avoids much in the way of marketing or advertising spend, so as long as it continues to serve their purposes why mess with that winning formula?

Quite a few Focal powered by Naim stores have opened around the world in the last couple of years...

1504ac2cb76f160524b1adc12640483880e54a78.jpeg

(Not sure about that one.)

The problem with this idea, to my mind, is that it has to be brand-specific. An 'experience store' offering a selection of brands is, er, a hifi dealer. So if you've already decided Devialet is a contender, then go listen to some Devialet. But if you then want to know how that experience stacks up against other stuff available for similar money, the experience store is of no use to you. I'm suspicious of any company that would use this model, to be frank, because it is intentionally limiting choice and trying to dominate a market.

I went into Billy Vee about thirty years ago. They were unwelcoming back then.

I live walking distance from Billy Vee and weirdly it's never occurred to me look inside. I guess I'm more interested in vintage/classic gear than the latest Naim/Linn/Rega box.

Just looking at their website. 'New Products - Hot from the wizards sleeve' is an, er, unfortunate phrase.

https://www.billyvee.co.uk/p0/whats-new/352.htm

I live walking distance from Billy Vee and weirdly it's never occurred to me look inside. I guess I'm more interested in vintage/classic gear than the latest Naim/Linn/Rega box.

Just looking at their website. 'New Products - Hot from the wizards sleeve' is an, er, unfortunate phrase.

https://www.billyvee.co.uk/p0/whats-new/352.htm
Actually, on reflection it was more like forty years ago, so I doubt it’s the same bods working there now.

I wanted to hear a comparison between a Michell Focus One and a Rega Planar. The bloke said it wasn’t worth doing, because the Rega was ‘obviously better’. This was my first experience of being told I couldn’t trust my own ears, but hardly the last.

I live walking distance from Billy Vee and weirdly it's never occurred to me look inside.

The environment there doesn't encourage browsing, you really need to have a reason to go in unless you want to feel like right plum, which I suppose is the antithesis of the 'experience'. But then I've always had good customer service from them (for example, I bought an AT stylus there and the suspension collapsed after a few months, they didn't hesitate to exchange).

And finally, something in me cringes at the idea of an "experience".
Me too. I’ve just come off the phone after calling my bank. The never-ending stream of recorded information included advice that on their website I could look forward to ‘an assisted online experience.’ I was very excited, and had got as far as selecting my best smoking jacket, putting a bottle of champagne on ice and bachelor pad music on the Dansette before I realised that all they meant was Live Chat.

The environment there doesn't encourage browsing, you really need to have a reason to go in unless you want to feel like right plum

I agree! The awkward silence and look as you push the front door open, and there is a demo going on.

I always feel obliged to buy in a dealership because I think their time is too valuable to just let me sit around and swap stuff about.

Maybe experience is the wrong word, and dealers need to just open up and be more inclusive, especially for Hifi newbies.

I was in Billy Vee in 1997...they had Dire Straits on a fully loaded LP12.

Irrelevant to the man on the street as Rega have no Streaming , Home Cinema , Headphones , Subwoofers etc
Naim/Focal stores can offer consumers a complete range from £1k atom to £300k stereo/home cinema

I rather doubt anybody considering spending £300k on audio would do so on the basis of an experience store, though.

advertisement

Back