advertisement

New Tidal tiers

Yes I saw that too. Good news for the artists. That’s why I prefer to use Tidal rather than Spotify. (plus the superior sound quality)

This is good imo. The more you listen to an artist the more they get of your subscription. Hope Qobuz follow. I’d also be happy with a button to make a donation directly.

Interestingly, if you log into your account, you will see an option to downgrade from the new Tidal Plus to standard Tidal HiFi, and save yourself £10 a per month. Great news if like me you have a Naim streamer which cannot play MQA.

Interestingly, if you log into your account, you will see an option to downgrade from the new Tidal Plus to standard Tidal HiFi, and save yourself £10 a per month. Great news if like me you have a Naim streamer which cannot play MQA.
So "Tidal Plus" = a £10/month surcharge for the dubious benefits (sic) of MQA?

I'll stick with the MQA-free zone that is Qobuz, thank you...

Del motto
Apparently they save your data even if you leave in a huff. I’ve left twice fingering quality but they welcomed me back with no loss/hard feelings :)

Hmm I think this is a good move by Tidal - Apple had already priced them out. I am considering them again at £10/month - I buy CDs of music I really like so dont feel guilty!

Top tier is still €13.99 in Portugal. No Qobuz here.unfortunately all my communications from them are in Portuguese.

So does this mean that the current £19.99 a month can be downgraded for people using Linn streamers (non MQA) and still keep the current quality level (e.g. standard 16-bit and 44.1 kHz) for £9.99 a month?

So does this mean that the current £19.99 a month can be downgraded for people using Linn streamers (non MQA) and still keep the current quality level (e.g. standard 16-bit and 44.1 kHz) for £9.99 a month?

That may well be the case, but what is not clear is exactly what file is accessed if you have a HiFi Tier subscription. Is it a separate 16/44.1 file or a 'version' of the MQA file?

I've just received an e-mail from Tidal upgrading me to Tidal HiFi Plus. They're introducing new tiers, along with artist centric stuff. Apparently, this will mean a portion of my subscription will go to the artists I listen to most. Interesting

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide....artist-payments-for-new-19-99-hifi-plus-tier/

That’s an encouraging first step, but roll on the day when money is properly allocated to who you listen to, rather than a pilot scheme for a small proportion of it.

The recommendation from the Naim forum (including from Naim staff) is to opt for the cheaper hi fi subscription as Naim’s kit doesn’t support the formats now offered in the Tidal top tier.

This is what Tidal say is HIFi when you downgrade, so what exactly is it, standard 16-bit and 44.1 kHz or something different?

• HiFi - $9.99 USD a month with standard sound quality (1411 Kbps)

advertisement

Back