advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

I had an email from them about it, but also decided to give it a miss. A couple of weeks ago I was going to book tickets for the Archie Shepp and Jason Moran London Jazz Festival concert at the Barbican as tickets were available, but after a bad trip on the central line where we were standing and packed in like sardines and I was the only I could see wearing a mask I decided against as I am on immunosuppressants for my rheumatoid arthritis. That was just the middle of a Saturday afternoon when I thought it wouldn’t be busy.

Yeah, I'm still not going to gigs for similar reasons - shame, this one looks excellent. BTW I've been using Home - Pedal Me to get around town without having to suffer the tube or get stuck in a cab, it's the perfect covid-era transport!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've been streaming to Makaya Mccraven/s new record, Deciphering the Message, over the weekend. An interesting hybrid of samples and improvisation using materiel from late 50s/ early 60s Blue Note . And with Jeff Parker playing guitar which is always a good thing.

Some samples here
Makaya Mccraven - Deciphering The Message | Banquet Records

And sales link here
Deciphering The Message [VINYL]: AmazonSmile: CDs & Vinyl
Jeff Parker is definitely a very good thing :). I've only played Deciphering once so far and it sort of passed me by - will give it another spin later today.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've been streaming to Makaya Mccraven/s new record, Deciphering the Message, over the weekend. An interesting hybrid of samples and improvisation using materiel from late 50s/ early 60s Blue Note . And with Jeff Parker playing guitar which is always a good thing.

Some samples here

And sales link here

I’ve been enjoying it too. Maybe not earthshattering, but very good.

Some samples here

And sales link here

I've streamed it a couple of times now. I think it's... perhaps lightweight is the word. It goes on pleasantly enough but all merges into one.

Likewise, nothing terribly exciting or path breaking in that list, although I really like the Charles Lloyd.

I am happy there are more women musicians on there. I'd go to any of the musicians' gigs but I doubt I'll want to have the albums at home.

John C, you and I are terribly jaded.:)

Jazzwise albums of the year - loads I've never heard of! I need to do some serious jazz research....

https://www.jazzwise.com/features/article/the-20-best-jazz-albums-of-2021

This is always quite a conservative list. And it must be rubbish as Vijay Iyer's Uneasy isn't mentioned ( it should be top IMHO).

The Jazz Critics Poll on NPR always throws up a far more interesting list that generally keeps me going for listening and purchasing for the the first half of any year.

Last year:
The 2020 NPR Music Jazz Critics Poll : NPR

Likewise, nothing terribly exciting or path breaking in that list, although I really like the Charles Lloyd.

John C, you and I are terribly jaded.:)

Oh I do hope not! No worse fate than the elderly jazz fan curmudgeon. I’m still full of enthusiasm. Agree with KJB on Vijay Iyer with slight reservation on ECM recorded drum sound which in no way represents What you get with Sorey live. These lists are there to get indignant about anyway, in this case too much Stuart Nicholson influence.

Ken Micallef has a dig through some recent US jazz CDs, some very interesting stuff, some rather dull and predictable stuff, and certainly worth 25 minutes to watch.

The stand-out for me was this Marc Cary chap who seems to be able to play anything and does that ‘thing’ I love at the moment of just blurring every genre I like together. For me the best of the new jazz stuff kind of blends Miles funk/fusion, Krautrock, 70s soul/funk, hip-hop, dance/techno, minimslism etc and spits out something new. Cary doesn’t seem limited to this though, if you search YouTube you’ll find some amazing more conventional acoustic piano trio stuff, he really can play. I actually caved-in last night and spent Tone Poet money importing his album on (yellow) vinyl from Bandcamp.

advertisement

Back