advertisement

It's official. Public schools breed fascists

Not if they had to come home and you would have to parent them. Much better to let school nursie do it.

Oh, you mean other people's children expelled?

It’s quite simple, there is a set of rules to observe. My school kicked a couple out and rightly so.

Which only goes to prove that the Private School model is not an answer to modern educational issues

I've often thought that it would be a nice little earner to open a very very expensive private school for all the disruptive and disturbed children who are refused a place in regular private schools.

I've often thought that it would be a nice little earner to open a very very expensive private school for all the disruptive and disturbed children who are refused a place in regular private schools.
To be blunt I don’t understand how any half competent teacher can’t manage a disruptive pupil in a small class and with parental support.

Where did they go? Who educated them after the Private school failed to do so?

No idea, could have been another public school, who knows. They consistently couldn’t stick to the rules, so were out. No doubt there would have been lengthy discussions but ultimately if there is no change in behaviour the consequence is straightforward.

No idea, could have been another public school, who knows. They consistently couldn’t stick to the rules, so were out. No doubt there would have been lengthy discussions but ultimately if there is no change in behaviour the consequence is straightforward.
Which all just underlines my point that Private Schools are not a model for standards in education more generally

Which all just underlines my point that Private Schools are not a model for standards in education more generally

They provide a service, simple as that. Same as private healthcare, dentists etc etc.
I’d have thought one of the main reasons these days for people sending their kids to public school is to avoid kids and parents who just don’t GAF.

They provide a service, simple as that. Same as private healthcare, dentists etc etc.
I’d have thought one of the main reasons these days for people sending their kids to public school is to avoid kids and parents who just don’t GAF.
The question of disruptive kids in Private schools is a bit of a distraction from the main point of the thread, though having said that, I’d have thought that if Private Schools are sympathetic to fascism, their little Hitlers should be celebrated rather than expelled?

I’m not sure what I think of them beyond firmly believing that (like religion) they should not be tax-exempt. I’m fundamentally anti-authoritarian and believe people should have the right to do what the hell they like with their money.

There is clearly an issue with an endless avalanche of shit flowing from Eton via the vile class warrior Bullingdon Club to the Conservative front bench, but I don’t think that negates the fundamental concept of educational choice.

I would argue that institutions like Eton exist largely to perpetuate the class structure that results in people like the current government running the show.

People don't send their kids to Eton because it has a high grade average - it's membership of a club. And one that's damaging to society.

I don't understand why anyone who believes in social mobility or society being a meritocracy would be in favour of public schools.

I don't understand why anyone who believes in social mobility or society being a meritocracy would be in favour of public schools.

Yes, it is a dilemma. As I say I am very anti-authoritarian, very much a loner/outsider, so I don’t like removing choice from people. I also consider I was failed by the state school system, so see much room for improvement. I genuinely learned nothing from it. Everything I know or can do is self taught. I absolutely detested school. I’d likely have hated private education even more as I have zero respect for authority and tend to pay little if any attention to it. I never made any connection between forced attendance of school and it being of any benefit to me so I had an awkward and disruptive time.

I was a ‘difficult’ pupil, but in a dumb insolence rather than violently disruptive way. I can only remember one kid being expelled, after he threatened a teacher with a knife on a school trip. (This was, and still is, a selective, non-fee paying grammar school).

I’ve sometimes wondered how I would have fared in a comprehensive school. Probably would have had the shit kicked out of me on a daily basis.

That’s an optional extra at any decent Public School
Yebbut at least the public school gives you access to a network of powerful rich people, whereas the comprehensive doesn’t.

There’s an ‘outstanding’ comprehensive just up the road from us, built just too late for our two daughters to benefit, but which has sent property prices through the roof.

To be blunt I don’t understand how any half competent teacher can’t manage a disruptive pupil in a small class and with parental support.

I think the "with parental support" bit is the challenge. The single biggest problem we had with the UK school our daughter was in was a small number of persistent offenders wrecking the experience for all other pupils, be it bullying or interrupting lessons. The school appeared to be absolutely powerless, and when we went to speak with the deputy head he admitted that there was really nothing that could be done.

I completely support the idea of inclusive education, but it can't be allowed to devolve to the level of allowing < 5% of pupils to wreck the learning of the other 95%.

The other big problem we had with the UK school was that they had pretty much decided what our daughter would be capable within 6 months of her joining and we were being strongly steered away from any academically challenging options.

I was a ‘difficult’ pupil, but in a dumb insolence rather than violently disruptive way. I can only remember one kid being expelled, after he threatened a teacher with a knife on a school trip. (This was, and still is, a selective, non-fee paying grammar school).

I’ve sometimes wondered how I would have fared in a comprehensive school. Probably would have had the shit kicked out of me on a daily basis.

Thanks to what can only have been a terrible administrative error I got a place at a grammar school. I don't mind admitting it was rather nice knowing that the kids that had been kicking the shit out of me wouldn't be joining me.

Thanks to what can only have been a terrible administrative error I got a place at a grammar school. I don't mind admitting it was rather nice knowing that the kids that had been kicking the shit out of me wouldn't be joining me.
Two of my nephews went to the comprehensive I would have gone to, had I been born two years later than I was. They were both very bright and would have passed the entrance exam for my old school easily, but for ‘political’ reasons, their parents sent them to the comprehensive, where they had a difficult time. My brother went there some years previously, but he was tough as old boots and took no crap from anyone.

I passed the 11 plus and went to the local grammar school where I suffered 7 years of abuse and bullying by sadistic and paedophile staff and thugs and bullies in the classroom.
I hated every second of it and left sixth form an abject failure.
My three kids on the other hand went to the local comp, loved every minute of it, flourished academically, have 7 degrees between them and still, in their thirties, maintain networks of friends they established there.

I think the "with parental support" bit is the challenge. The single biggest problem we had with the UK school our daughter was in was a small number of persistent offenders wrecking the experience for all other pupils, be it bullying or interrupting lessons. The school appeared to be absolutely powerless, and when we went to speak with the deputy head he admitted that there was really nothing that could be done.

I completely support the idea of inclusive education, but it can't be allowed to devolve to the level of allowing < 5% of pupils to wreck the learning of the other 95%.

The other big problem we had with the UK school was that they had pretty much decided what our daughter would be capable within 6 months of her joining and we were being strongly steered away from any academically challenging options.
Yes, disruptive pupils are a real issue. One problem is that we have a system where they’re concentrated into fewer and fewer schools.

A complete overhaul is required which must start with a genuine recognition of the real problems in education and has to end in much smaller class sizes

advertisement

Back