advertisement

Tory corruption & sleaze (lobbying, second jobs, dodgy contracts etc)

You mean Stalybridge is famous for something other than...

I hope you’re not suggesting that the Tory Party has been a crime syndicate since the dawn of man? Surely not?

I can't tell because the records don't go back that far. Maybe the early Tories destroyed the evidence, though. 8-] But they do seem to be trying to shift us back to an industrialised version of the futile... erm feudal system whilst telling us how well they treat us.

Hazlitt's essay 'A Modern Tory Delineated' is no less true now than when it was written about two hundred years ago:

'A Tory never objects to increasing the power of the Crown, or abridging the liberties of the people, or even calls into question the justice or wisdom of any of the measures of government.’

They've been trying to turn Blackpool into the UK equivalent of Las Vegas for as long as I can remember. The town has been in steady, and pretty relentless, decline since the 1970s when the bucket & spade brigade discovered package holidays to the Spanish costas. It used to be fun in a brash, carefree way; now it's mostly a run down dump, not unlike Clacton/Jaywick. I suspect the Vegas thing is born as much out of desperation to energise the area again, as it is out of greed. The risk, of course, is that you place massive gambling opportunities in front of poor people with no viable escape routes beyond the 'big win'.

We already have one - Stalybridge

Come on lads, we claimed the title years ago, can’t believe you’ve not heard of Cas Vegas (and neighbouring Pontecarlo).

Johnson now laughably claims he’ll ban Tory sleaze (BBC, (warning contains Laura K revising the situation)).

PS I bet the knives will be right out for Johnson within his own party now as no one gets to stand between a Tory MP and their trough. This could well be the thing that does for him...

What a heroic way for him to end his illustrious career. Going down in history as the man who got Brexit done (even though it's not the end, not even the beginning of the end etc as our poundshop Churchill would not like to be reminded) and tried to get rid of grift. Oh, the bloody irony.

The politics sketch
Paterson’s fair-weather friends keep well away from the standards debate
John Crace

Boris Johnson was among the Tory MPs who gave up defending the indefensible and absented themselves from the Commons

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-well-away-from-the-standards-debate#comments

"As a fraud, Jakey is the genuine article." John Crace.

Spot On, see below, warning, you may need a vomit bag...

Woah! Shouldn't this have had some kind of "Parental Advisory" mark on it?

As a cub, it wasn't exactly what I would call likeable.

It still isn't. :eek:

At the beginning of the MPs' expenses scandal, The Daily Telegraph reported that Rosindell "claimed more than £125,000 in second home expenses for a flat in London, while designating his childhood home 17 miles away – where his mother lived – as his main address" and between "2006 and 2008 claimed the maximum £400 a month for food".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Rosindell#Parliamentary_expenses

Why do MPs even get to claim for food? My employer doesn't reimburse me for my £3.50 Co-Op Meal Deal.

advertisement

Back