advertisement

London Grammar - Alexandra Palace

GT

pfm Member
Anyone else go to see them at the weekend?

IMG_2099-e1636927688902.jpeg

IMG_2101-e1636927671926.jpeg

20211113_215353-e1636927710328.jpeg

IMG_2104-e1636927726738.jpeg

The concert was very good. Eloise, the support act was good too but her performance was ruined by extremely poor mixing. She was completely drown out by the bass player and drums. Can't understand how they got the most basic set up wrong. Same to a similar extent with London Grammar with huge bass dominance, although their set up was much better. Most of the sound was provided by two large ceiling hung speaker arrays to the left and right of the stage. Voices and acoustic instruments were ok but the bass was absolutely dreadful. It was one note and sounded like an earthquake every time the lower registers were reached. It may have sounded ok on the stage but in the auditorium the sound was not good. London Grammar were, unlike the sound system, on top form. I was expecting them to just play their California Soil album right through in the order on the album as per their YouTube concert, however I was blown away when they played "Hey Now", their third song and one of my favourite LG songs! They played songs from their 3 albums, but probably more from California Soil which the concert was to highlight. Hannah Reid's stunning voice was bang on. She sounds live just she does on their albums...

Just a word of warning about the venue: Over 10,000 rammed into one large floor standing area which was precarious leaving as everyone was funnelled through one exit. There was a group of us and we got there early getting a good spot near the front and middle of the stage. About 10 minutes before the start there was a push from people behind to get closer so it was very rammed and quite claustrophobic, as well as being very hot. It did aid the atmosphere somewhat but I did ask myself afterwards, am I getting too old for this sort of event? :(

I’d like to see and hear Hannah. :)
Sound quality is often a big issue at pop/rock concerts.
Dreadful and stressing bass sounds are unnecessary and I for one always use earplugs which improves things a little.
But why so many watts in the first place?

Reactions: GT
I’d like to see and hear Hannah. :)
Sound quality is often a big issue at pop/rock concerts.
Dreadful and stressing bass sounds are unnecessary and I for one always use earplugs which improves things a little.
But why so many watts in the first place?

Yes, my daughter who is a musician wore her earplugs at the concert. I should have taken mine. Hannah was outstanding. Her voice... Such a talent.

I've been to quite a number of gigs at the Ally Pally, the sound has been generally poor, vocals always drowned out by the band. I'll only go now if it's the only chance I'll get to see someone. I much prefer Shepherds Bush Empire or Brixton Academy.

Cheers BB

I've been to quite a number of gigs at the Ally Pally, the sound has been generally poor, vocals always drowned out by the band. I'll only go now if it's the only chance I'll get to see someone. I much prefer Shepherds Bush Empire or Brixton Academy.

Sound quality at Brixton academy is notoriously ropey too yet it manages to be a wonderful venue considering its capacity.

Cheers BB

I've seem them live before. Incredible group. They make such emotive music.

I'm fairly new to LG, and will hopefully see them at somepoint. Love their relaxed and soulful approach. There is a live version of 'oh woman oh man' which i'd like to share, its what cemented it for me... The context really helps to lift them, set a certain tone.

advertisement

Back