advertisement

Tory corruption & sleaze (lobbying, second jobs, dodgy contracts etc)

Yes, it’s a lot of money. However, if your monthly commitments are say 10K you’re not going to give up your current gig to take home 4.5.

Good point, well made, but if your monthly commitments amount to 10k, should you not be questioning your outgoings?

Or then again if you are on that sort of cash, there is a real possibility that you aren't suited to being a politician. Leave it to those who can take the financial hit.

S

I think Cox will be gone within the week and the slithery 'it's up to the voters to decide' rhetoric will soon be chomping at posteriors.

It is interesting and quite satisfying to see the most rabid of the UK’s right-wing press who helped place this vile government in place turning on them now. I don’t ever see much beyond the front pages, but I’ve noticed a real change there, e.g. just googling around now the Daily Mail, the nastiest, most racist and most pro-Tory gutter tabloid of them all is ripping right into Cox, as it did Paterson. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them turn on a Tory government before, though I don’t remember how they responded to the Major government’s sleaze and hypocrisy. They were certainly perfectly happy with May’s murderous Windrush debacle and her fascist ‘go home’ vans etc. Could this actually be a turning point?

It is interesting and quite satisfying to see the most rabid of the UK’s right-wing press who helped place this vile government in place turning on them now.

I'm not convinced Tony. The DM specifically avoided blaming the Tories for last week's 'mistake'., instead describing it as 'MP's'. I reckon the best we can expect is that they are upping the pressure for Johnson to be replaced by someone equally evil, but rather more competent, before the next election..

Either that, they really are agents of the 'Deep State'..working to get that Fascist Starmerinto play.. :):)...not.

It is interesting and quite satisfying to see the most rabid of the UK’s right-wing press who helped place this vile government in place turning on them now. I don’t ever see much beyond the front pages, but I’ve noticed a real change there, e.g. just googling around now the Daily Mail, the nastiest, most racist and most pro-Tory gutter tabloid of them all is ripping right into Cox, as it did Paterson. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them turn on a Tory government before, though I don’t remember how they responded to the Major government’s sleaze and hypocrisy. They were certainly perfectly happy with May’s murderous Windrush debacle and her fascist ‘go home’ vans etc. Could this actually be a turning point?

Paul Dacre is not the editor any more. Perhaps things are changing?

He is and has been editor in chief of the the entire news group for some years now. Organ grinder par excellence, still a malign influence in the British press, just less visible to the man in the street.
I also think @Mullardman is right- Dacre is just throwing scraps of meat to the hyenas. He’s probably had enough of Johnson by now but still an avid supporter of the #TurdReich.

The SNP have likened this latest scandal to the dark days of Tory Sleeze.
Back in those days though there was a long campaign involving a Duck House

The expenses scandal caught out more Labour MPS than Tory MPS. 55% of Labour MPs had to repay something. 50% Tory, 44% Lib Dem.

Last edited:
The expenses scandal caught out more Labour MPS than Tory MPS. 55% of Labour MPs had to repay something. 50% Tory, 44% Lib Dem.
The OP was referring to the halcyon era of Tory Sleaze in the early to mid 90s with Hamilton, Mellor and of course Jonathan Aitkin who was happy for his teenage daughter to lie for him in the witness box before he was caught out and jailed. The expenses scandal was 2010 ish.

The OP was referring to the halcyon era of Tory Sleaze in the early to mid 90s with Hamilton, Mellor and of course Jonathan Aitkin who was happy for his teenage daughter to lie for him in the witness box before he was caught out and jailed. The expenses scandal was 2010 ish.

Yes and we know which wing of Major's party was involved.

That really doesn't surprise me, corruption, greed and avarice has nothing to do with politics, reminds me of a couple of 90's singles ' It's all about the money, dum,dum, Diddy, dum, dum' and 'In it for the Money' , though it's fair to say I have a very low opinion of politicians in general and who can blame me just look at the state of politics and the politicians in NI over the past 30 years, how many of them would chose represent the public or work in government if the salary was the national average.

He is and has been editor in chief of the the entire news group for some years now. Organ grinder par excellence, still a malign influence in the British press, just less visible to the man in the street.
I also think @Mullardman is right- Dacre is just throwing scraps of meat to the hyenas. He’s probably had enough of Johnson by now but still an avid supporter of the #TurdReich.

I thought he stepped down from the Mail?

According to Google, the editor of the Mail is Geordie Greig

Edit, ah I misread your post, Dacre is editor in chief of the entire news group.

I thought he stepped down from the Mail?

According to Google, the editor of the Mail is Geordie Greig
He’s Geordie’s boss. The hand that rocks the cradle. On a separate note, the sewer Johnson is operating bares little comparison in terms of scale with the MP’s expenses scandal or Neil Hamilton’s brown envelopes from the Phoney Pharaoh .

That was fiddling, this is running to £billions in corrupt public contracts, back door donations of £millions in return for seats in the HoL, putting the same crooks in a position of influence over British Govt legislation. Now they’re taking control of the media- blackmailing the BBC and appointing Dacre to watch over the press, attacking independent scrutiny by going after the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner and taking away the right of public protest. What could possibly go wrong?

He’s Geordie’s boss. The hand that rocks the cradle. On a separate note, the sewer Johnson is operating bares little comparison in terms of scale with the MP’s expenses scandal or Neil Hamilton’s brown envelopes from the Phoney Pharaoh .

That was fiddling, this is running to £billions in corrupt public contracts, back door donations of £millions in return for seats in the HoL, putting the same crooks in a position of influence over British Govt legislation. Now they’re taking control of the media- blackmailing the BBC and appointing Dacre to watch over the press, attacking independent scrutiny by going after the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner and taking away the right of public protest. What could possibly go wrong?
There does appear to be a bit of a pattern here. Remarkable.

How brass necked is this? Not only is he a member of the party that prorogued Parliament not too long ago, this bloke voted for getting Paterson off only days ago then has the gall to pull up others claiming they risk undermining Parliament.

Defence Secretary disappointed in MPs' conduct on Gibraltar trip

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace will write to Labour and the SNP to express disappointment over the alleged poor behaviour of some of their MPs on a visit to troops in Gibraltar.
Mr Wallace said the alleged conduct "risks undermining respect for Parliament".

Source: BBC

My Tory MP Sally-Ann Hart's response to my letter regarding her disgraceful performance on the Owen Patterson corruption vote. Note that it comes from one of her understrappers, not her. I like to think she was overwhelmed and couldn't manage all the responses herself. It doesn't directly address any of the points I raised :(

HOWARD-SMITH, George <[email protected]>
16:17 (50 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Dear Mr M

Thank you for your email to Sally-Ann. Please see her response to you on this issue below.

"Thank you for contacting me on the matters surrounding Owen Paterson and on reform to the Standards Committee.

Owen Patterson has decided to resign, with immediate effect, as an MP. This is not because he is being made to step down but because, with this issue arising after the suicide of his wife, he has decided that politics – in his own words - is a ‘cruel world’ and one that he and his family no longer wish to be part of. Whilst I have never actually spoken to Mr Paterson, I feel compassion towards him and his family; for he and his family to live through the suicide of his wife and their mother is truly horrendous and for people, including some MPs, to mock their experience is quite frankly unacceptable.

As a fairly new MP who is aware of, but has not been subject to a review under, the parliamentary standards or discipline procedure for MPs (and hope that I never do), I looked in detail at the review process last week before the vote. I was surprised that there was no provision for independent judicial oversight – and I firmly believe it is deficient in this respect. A provision allowing an appeal, if felt necessary, should be a right for all who feel aggrieved with a determination. The current process does not meet the requirement for natural justice.

In Owen Patterson’s case, he was found to have breached the Code of Conduct without being able to call any witnesses or, once the decision was determined, any right to appeal. Reading the Standards Committee’s report, it appears to me that he has breached the Code, but to have his behaviour - his case – considered by a cross-party group of MPs, without any right of appeal or independent oversight, is not right given the partisan nature of party politics inherent in Parliament (on all sides of the House of Commons).

Owen Paterson was due to be suspended for 30 days. If any MP is suspended for more than 10 days, this can trigger a by-election and might result in a loss of office – his job. Given that any employee in such a situation would have had the right to have their case heard and make an appeal, I fail to see why MPs should not have the same natural justice applied to parliamentary determinations. Employees have recourse to industrial tribunals if they feel that they have been unfairly treated or dismissed. Although MPs are not employees, they should have similar rights to employees, especially when their job is at stake. Furthermore, I do not think that MPs should be judging each other and determining another MP’s guilt – an independent and impartial tribunal type process should be used instead.

Owen Paterson’s case identified a need for reform of the system but trying to implement the reform at the same time as dealing with his case was clearly poorly timed and many in the general public understandably took the view that Conservative MPs were ‘trying to protect one of their own’. I sympathise with that view.

In Parliament, events often escalate very quickly, with little notice, sometimes requiring decisions to be taken in short timescales. Many MPs decided that reform was needed and that Owen Patterson’s case, with consideration of the mitigating circumstances that he and his family have been through, needed the ability to appeal the decision made. Upon reflection, more time should have been given to this issue, to allow all MPs the chance to consider the unintended consequences of making such a decision.

You will be aware that Owen Paterson was found to have been lobbying on behalf of businesses he was retained by, contrary to the rules. For clarity’s sake, I do not, nor will not, take on any paid external consultancies to supplement my salary as an MP. Personally, I do not believe that it is right for an MP to do so, despite it being permitted.

Being an MP is an enormous privilege and representing the people of Hastings and Rye in Westminster is an honour. This honour and privilege rightly comes with scrutiny. However, it also comes with huge sacrifices and pressure. I feel very strongly that MPs should be held to the highest standards, but should their behaviour be subject to scrutiny, they should be afforded the benefits of natural justice, including the right to appeal. I also feel very strongly that MPs who have been found to have breached the rules should face the strongest sanctions once a fair process has taken place. I hope that reform makes this possible so that we get a system which is fair and equitable to those subject to it and more transparent to the public."

Kind regards,
George

George Howard-Smith

Constituency Caseworker to Sally-Ann Hart MP
Member of Parliament for Hastings and Rye
Swallow House, Theaklen Drive, St Leonards-on-Sea, TN38 9AY
[email protected] | 01424 71675
What a mealie mouthed and barely concealed contemptuous crock off shit response from a representative of your MP.

Here is the one I received from mine (Joe Churchill):

Thank you for contacting me about the House of Commons Committee on Standards. I understand the strength of feeling from constituents regarding this vote and I would like to apologise for this mistake, although I do believe the system needs a right for appeal, the motion we voted on was not the correct way to achieve this.

I firmly believe it is essential that all in Parliament uphold the highest standards in public life. There must be tough and robust checks on Members to ensure they adhere to these standards. It is therefore important that there must be an effective process to scrutinise Members and, if necessary, to discipline those who deviate from these principles.

While I maintain that the work of the Committee on Standards is vital, there is strong feeling on both sides of the House that all Members of Parliament should have the right to appeal and a fair hearing. I therefore welcome that the Government will be looking to work on a cross-party basis to achieve improvements in our system for future cases. The Government has been clear that this should not be based on a single case or applied retrospectively.

Ministers will bring forward more detailed plans once there have been cross-party discussions. I believe it is right for people in public office to accept the consequences of wrongdoing, which in the case of Mr Paterson is in the form of his resignation from the House of Commons.

We are elected to represent and serve the people of our constituencies and constituents expect us to uphold the laws that we make.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Such people would then be very ill advised to put themselves up for a job that wouldn't pay for their lifestyle. MPs are not required to live in London and can claim accommodation expenses when staying near Parliament is necessary. And I don't recall there ever being a vacancy for an constituency because the salary wasn't sufficiently high to attract at least one candidate.
If you are Cox you own a house in London which you rent out and then pocket the accommodation expenses as revealed in this morning’s Times.

Good point, well made, but if your monthly commitments amount to 10k, should you not be questioning your outgoings?

Or then again if you are on that sort of cash, there is a real possibility that you aren't suited to being a politician. Leave it to those who can take the financial hit.

S

You make my point for me. It gives us MP’s who don’t currently earn 80K or are loaded to the point of 80K being pocket money. The vast swathe of professional people / business owners we should be attracting can’t afford the pay cut. I’d pay them more money but severely limit the amount of secondary earning allowed. Oh, and have fewer of them to be cost neutral.

advertisement

Back