advertisement

What Christmas tree?

My Mum uses what's basically an old dead branch sprayed white, with a modest amount of lights and decorations; actually looks really nice

must look a bit like Charlie Browns.

We've always bought cheap ones that either fall apart or look tacky when they're up.
We've got one of those snowing ones but it takes up loads of room and the little polystyrene balls end up everywhere.
I don't want a real one because the needles falling off do my head in.

Any suggestions for a good quality tree?

Make your own artificial one: I did.

Any chance of a picture?

I did post a pic on photo forum pic of week, in past - but I can't now find it. My Tablet is problematic, and I have not set tree up yet. So, sorry, no photo.

If it helps, I built mine some 15 years ago, from dead tree branches, cut up then araldited in place, on a split wood 'X' base made from same tree branches. It is decorated with artificial green stuff....looks fabulous when adorned with all the usual and unusual decos. Still going strong on its 16th year.

Best to use your imagination, and steer clear of imitating commercial trees.

Regards,

eguth

I did post a pic on photo forum pic of week, in past - but I can't now find it. My Tablet is problematic, and I have not set tree up yet. So, sorry, no photo.

If it helps, I built mine some 15 years ago, from dead tree branches, cut up then araldited in place, on a split wood 'X' base made from same tree branches. It is decorated with artificial green stuff....looks fabulous when adorned with all the usual and unusual decos. Still going strong on its 16th year.

Best to use your imagination, and steer clear of imitating commercial trees.

Regards,

eguth

_DSF2009 by Round Person, on Flickr

Found this on old Flickr a/c. Sorry about dark image.

A bit small I think. I realise you could scale it up, but It seems like a lot of hassle, and we'd have nowhere to store it.

Someone needs to invent a realistic looking, telescopic tree.

I am not an inventor. ~~It does occur to me that it is easy to purchase two (2) different diameter dowels.

Mark up the central thick branch with numbers and holes, and drill each hole about, say, 1/2" deep, at an appropriat angle. Araldite a piece of dowel in each hole, leaving it, say 3/4" proud to allow for a final trim as necessary after branches are fitted.

Leave enough room between branches to allow for the thicker dowel to be used to create the 'telescope' for the trunk. Drill appropriate holes at appropriate trunk intervals to allow for dismantling of the 'telescope'. Araldite dowel into the LOWER half of cut main branch, again leaving about 3/4"-1" proud- pointing upwards.

After you select branches, all you need to do is trim dowel to fit entry holes in dowels. DO NOT use araldite in the holes in branches...you want branches to be easily removeable.

I suspect that the finished tree could be assembled in minute, and dissassembled in a similar time, after removal of decorations. Green fake spruce spiky leaves can be left tied to branches...what I do. ~Even a good size tree, after dissasembly, would fit into a plastic rubbish bag- or tied into a bundle to be stored under Sanrta's bedroom bed.

Just a thought. You could probably come up with a better design.

Think outside the box!

Last edited:

advertisement

Back