advertisement

Tory corruption & sleaze (lobbying, second jobs, dodgy contracts etc)

ks.234

Half way to Infinity
The SNP have likened this latest scandal to the dark days of Tory Sleeze.

Back in those days though there was a long campaign involving a Duck House and a host of other choice images, and of course, the Prime Minister of the time was a Pro EU Tory

Nowadays, when we have a Tory Sleeze that has mutated and grown into such a many headed monster that it is not even ashamed. It’s not skulking around hiding behind privilege and power, it’s out in the open strutting it’s stuff. The same papers that did for major over secret, hidden, devious little scandals are strangely silent in the face of a hyda like scandal of mythic proportions.

The prevalence of such double standards shows how many of our headline writers are well dodgy.

Frankly, it’s a scandal

That'll make for good look around the World (press), "mother of parliaments" and all that. o_O

My p**s is reaching boiling point with this lot.
Sure he is guilty
Sure he has admitted it all
Sure he should be suspended
But, he is a Tory and he needs his snout in that trough

22 Tory MPs who were investigated or punished by Parliament's watchdog joined the vote to overhaul it

https://www.businessinsider.com/22-...atchdog-vote-to-overhaul-it-2021-11?r=US&IR=T

Hmmm, even paterson was allowed to vote against his own conviction and sentence.

It has been suggested by someone interviewed on R4's PM that this decision will throw into question the decisions made against those 22 MPs.

Maybe this finally will activate Labour into campaign mode.

In normal times, this would be a spectacular own goal that the opposition could make a great deal out of. How Labour deals with it remains to be seen. Emily Thornberry wasn't pulling her punches in her PM interview and nor was Jess Phillips in Parliament.

Starmer is absolutely correct:

“I am sick of people skirting around calling this out for what it is: corruption. Paterson was receiving money from a private company to ask questions on its behalf. Roberts was found to have made repeated and unwanted sexual advances toward a young staffer. Both of them should be gone – neither are fit to serve as MPs. Their continued presence in the Tory party is scandalous. It will further undermine public faith in politics at a time when we should be trying to restore decency and honesty”.

“But the rot starts at the top. We have a prime minister whose name is synonymous with sleaze, dodgy deals and hypocrisy. This is the man who allows his ministers to breach with impunity the codes that govern public life; who thinks it should be one rule for him and his chums, another for everyone else.

With his every action he signals to his MPs: do what you like. There are no consequences”.

22 Tory MPs who were investigated or punished by Parliament's watchdog joined the vote to overhaul it

https://www.businessinsider.com/22-...atchdog-vote-to-overhaul-it-2021-11?r=US&IR=T

Hmmm, even paterson was allowed to vote against his own conviction and sentence.

Maybe this finally will activate Labour into campaign mode.
For me the problem is the press. When there was a scandal under Major, Labour could launch a campaign with the press behind them against a common enemy. For Labour Major was the enemy because he was Tory scum, for the press because he was Pro EU.

This time around any Labour campaign will be on its own against the press.

Starmer is absolutely correct:

“I am sick of people skirting around calling this out for what it is: corruption. Paterson was receiving money from a private company to ask questions on its behalf. Roberts was found to have made repeated and unwanted sexual advances toward a young staffer. Both of them should be gone – neither are fit to serve as MPs. Their continued presence in the Tory party is scandalous. It will further undermine public faith in politics at a time when we should be trying to restore decency and honesty”.

“But the rot starts at the top. We have a prime minister whose name is synonymous with sleaze, dodgy deals and hypocrisy. This is the man who allows his ministers to breach with impunity the codes that govern public life; who thinks it should be one rule for him and his chums, another for everyone else.

With his every action he signals to his MPs: do what you like. There are no consequences”.
Yeah, but is he scum?

The new mantra is never admit guilt, in fact never admit any failing of any kind, never back down. On the contrary double down with lies and evasion but make it brazen. There are no consequences unless you have a conscience and a moral compass in which case: why are you here ?
edit by 'here' I mean the Govt not PFM

I have zero respect for the authority this government. Absolutely zero. They are clearly a criminal endeavour and I no longer respect their rule of law. Seriously f*** them and their now entirely illegitimate and corrupt power. They are lying, thieving banana-republic-grade scum.

PS Anyone who endorses this sleezy corrupt behaviour get the f*** off my website! I only want decent and honest folk here. Any decent Tories, and there are many out there, should be cutting their membership cards up tonight.

For me the problem is the press. When there was a scandal under Major, Labour could launch a campaign with the press behind them against a common enemy. For Labour Major was the enemy because he was Tory scum, for the press because he was Pro EU.

This time around any Labour campaign will be on its own against the press.
They’re back pushing for the fox to watch the chickens, the man who published this will soon regulate the British press:

zZdngdQ.jpg

The Tories and their chums is are now going after the standards commissioner herself:

“The vicious and orchestrated campaign of personal attacks against the parliamentary commissioner for standards - a public servant who cannot answer back - is completely unacceptable. The cross-party committee for standards, which includes independent lay members, not only agreed unanimously to the recommendations made in the case of Owen Paterson, but also proposed the sanction separately to the commissioner” .

Boris was exceptional today at PMQ. This poor man has lost his wife to suicide because of what he has done and should be let off. You really, really, couldn’t make this up. I feel for Spitting Image: they have nowhere to go when morality is abandoned.

The guilty man himself ( along with 19 others like him) got to vote on the jury to acquit themselves today. Where do they stop?

Johnson’s employer,the Barclays, have spoken through their house magazine, The Telegraph:

c05mS2m.jpg

The Standards Commissioner “is biased against the Tories and Brexiteers”. She will be removed and replaced by a Conservative MP.

The folk commenting on the FT.com (gift link) comments section are furious, here are some choice ones:

"250 conservative MP voted against the advice of the chair of the standards committee and against the advice of the conservative father of the house to allow and endorse corruption. It is now the policy of parliament and our government that if you are a corrupt conservative MP you face no punishment for corruption. I follow politics and I am in my 60’s and in my view this is the worst day in our parliaments history. The opposition should resign from all positions within the house and suspend attending the house for 30 days in protest. The prime minister and the 250 MP have turned our parliament into a toilet washed through with corruption"

"I too follow politics closely and have done for 58 years (I am in my 70s), and I also think this is the darkest day in Parliament that I can remember and the darkest day that I know about. Parliament, or rather the Tory Party, has actually endorsed corruption"

"Johnson, a man with no ethical compass and governed only by self-interest and his various animal appetites, doesn't just move the goalposts: he burns them to the ground. Then he calls in air strikes on all the companies that manufacture goal posts."

advertisement

Back