advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

As stated in the article it will never get through Google or Apple’s App Store AUP. Even if it did it would be hacked in the most comedic ways imaginable within minutes.
Already has been! Taken immediately off-line. Oh dear how sad; where will we go for the alternative truths now?

Ah! Looks like Biden is going to do something about eliminating the filibuster - surely the most stupid, illogical rule in the USA's democratic system.

Interesting article in today's Irish Times:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/...ts-the-us-in-a-very-dangerous-place-1.4709513

In case it's generally unavailable, its final paragraphs give you the flavour:

Insanity is in the air. In Congress, leading Republicans who ran for their lives when the mob broke in on January 6th have now twisted that incident like a pretzel, with many concluding the entire event was peaceful and the rope strung up to hang Mike Pence was actually gallows humour.

What has happened to the US? Fundamentally, the Republican Party has lost its mind, desperate to re-engage with the man who lost the White House, the Senate, the House, in 2020 yet who is like a pied piper leading a nation down a road to perdition. The long answer is that the US is facing its greatest challenge since the war over slavery. This time there appears to be little hope of a leader such as Lincoln who can rise to the occasion. Meanwhile, my friend is considering bullet-proof vests for him and his wife. “These are the times that try men’s souls,” as Thomas Paine remarked when the American revolution looked doomed. We are reaching that tipping point again.

Voter fraud in Nevada! :D

Spoiler alert - this is not a good way to honor your deceased wife's memory.

Also, doesn't take a Hercule Poirot to figure out who "she" voted for!

My frustration is that the GOP milked this garbage report for weeks while the "oh, never mind" ending was over in moments. And, of course, there was zero acknowledgment from those who perpetrated the lie.

Interesting article in today's Irish Times:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/...ts-the-us-in-a-very-dangerous-place-1.4709513

In case it's generally unavailable, its final paragraphs give you the flavour:

Insanity is in the air. In Congress, leading Republicans who ran for their lives when the mob broke in on January 6th have now twisted that incident like a pretzel, with many concluding the entire event was peaceful and the rope strung up to hang Mike Pence was actually gallows humour.

What has happened to the US? Fundamentally, the Republican Party has lost its mind, desperate to re-engage with the man who lost the White House, the Senate, the House, in 2020 yet who is like a pied piper leading a nation down a road to perdition. The long answer is that the US is facing its greatest challenge since the war over slavery. This time there appears to be little hope of a leader such as Lincoln who can rise to the occasion. Meanwhile, my friend is considering bullet-proof vests for him and his wife. “These are the times that try men’s souls,” as Thomas Paine remarked when the American revolution looked doomed. We are reaching that tipping point again.

The other possibility is that the infrastructure bill and budget reconciliation pass by year end. People will then see their lives improving, and Dems will win re-election with an increased majority over 2020.

The growing fight over the filibuster could come to a head next month. I don't see the Dems allowing the GOP to trash the US economy by voting against raising the debt limit (i.e., voting against paying past bills). If they vote to stop the filibuster to raise the debt limit, then i hope they will break it twice to pass voter reform (to stop GOP-controlled states from rigid their own elections).

like i said before, tough times are ahead for us all because the consequences of a US implosion will be felt by the whole world
Meanwhile, China waits patiently to be the next super power. Oh wait, it already is ...

Xi is 68. Will he risk it all on military action on Taiwan in the next 7 years ? Or just shuffle onwards into old age ?
I suspect he'll do it if he sees a reasonable chance of success. He will want to go down in history as the man who finally united the Motherland. Given the potential turmoil in the USA, especially with the election of Trump or a Trumpian, he will expect the US's attention to be turned inwards in making America great again, again. I expect an increased effort to develop the capacity to put a sufficient number of boots on the ground, currently the only thing lacking. I think 5 years has been given as a realistic time frame for this to be possible.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/china-military-amphibious/

Hopefully a wake-up call for the Democrats, that they need to take off the gloves. As an article in the Washington Post said yesterday, the real ruler of the USA, Rupert Murdoch, has been pumping out culture war poison via the Republican equivalent of Pravda, whereas Democrats have no equivalent channel. They really need to get their message out. There is a certain proportion of the US population that they can never reach, so they need to hone their message to reach the ones that they can. And they need to pass some useful legislation that will benefit ordinary Americans, otherwise they're toast next year and in 2024, and the USA can look forward to becoming a larger version of Orban's Hungary.

Hopefully a wake-up call for the Democrats, that they need to take off the gloves. As an article in the Washington Post said yesterday, the real ruler of the USA, Rupert Murdoch, has been pumping out culture war poison via the Republican equivalent of Pravda, whereas Democrats have no equivalent channel. They really need to get their message out. There is a certain proportion of the US population that they can never reach, so they need to hone their message to reach the ones that they can. And they need to pass some useful legislation that will benefit ordinary Americans, otherwise they're toast next year and in 2024, and the USA can look forward to becoming a larger version of Orban's Hungary.
If Trump didn't wake the Democrats up it's hard to imagine what will. I too fear that all is lost and the USA is heading for a dark place. The implications for the rest of the world aren't great either.

If Trump didn't wake the Democrats up it's hard to imagine what will. I too fear that all is lost and the USA is heading for a dark place. The implications for the rest of the world aren't great either.
I think they were banking on Trump quietly going back into obscurity and shonky real estate dealings (just look at the title of this thread). Not a chance - the word Trump hates most is "loser", and he's determined, by fair means or foul, not to be one. And his revenge will be terrible.

I think the democrats are awake, but they are in an impossible position. They have slim majorities in each house, particularly the senate. Republicans vote as a block to oppose any legislation the democrats propose, no matter how popular with Americans (prescription drug price negotiation for example). This means that the lobbyists have only to bribe a handful of democrats and they break the majority and stop legislation.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...mocrats-blocking-lower-medication-prices-bill

The wealthy are using America's freedom of speech, freedom of press, and loose campaign finance laws to subvert democracy and enrich themselves and they appear to be willing to watch the nation crash and burn, provided it's good for their bank accounts.

Last edited:
The wealthy are using America's freedom of speech, freedom of press, and loose campaign finance laws to subvert democracy and enrich themselves and they appear to be willing to watch the nation crash and burn, provided it's good for their bank accounts.

As Nikita Khruschev put it, when it comes time to hang the last capitalist, the capitalist will sell him the rope.

I think Sean has it about right.

The other interesting thing I saw the other day was on the launch of Trump’s latest social media platform TMTG or whatever it’s called. In the documents associated with the option to invest (ha!) the small print says the whole venture can be abandoned if the “principal actor” (or similar phrase) is either:

1) elected to a federal office.
2) convicted of a felony.

which I think sums up the situation. Either there is some repercussions for what he has done or he runs again. I don’t think he would win again unless the GOP plans to cheat are successful. We know republicans cannot win presidential elections without major extenuating circumstances (e.g. all the Hilary is worse than Hitler idiots) so I think it does come down to that.

I do think it’s possible to defeat Trump and the GOP’s anti democratic attempts at minority rule, but it requires concerted action and commitment from lots of people.

I am mildly annoyed by the people who get all foolish democrats are sleep walking into another trump victory. It reminds me of how everyone used to say England could never do well at a major football (or cricket) tournament because they are England, right up until they did do well.

advertisement

Back