advertisement

Bargain Box Sets

Apologies this thread is so long it is sometimes hard to keep up with the albums already offered by others . Still a repeat of a good one is worth it .

I recommend highly The Complete Works of Fela Kuti which Amazon has listed at 70 quid. While it may seem relatively expensive, it contains 27 disks covering 46 albums. The box is also available in 3 separate vols. but collectively they are more pricey.

Sonically quite a treat too, except for some albums which had poorer recordings.

You sir are awesome. I think i've seen both a red and black cover version of this??

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I bought that Fela Kuti box a long time ago, maybe more than 10 years. Of course the music is superb but the discs are, as I recall, quite annoying. Many have 2 albums per disc which does make sense in some ways admittedly, but I never liked having 2 random albums on a single disc. In the end I ripped them all to play on my squeezebox and manipulated the tags so that it lists as the albums were originally released.

The Staple Singers.

If you like soul (or even just have one) this is simply fabulous.

For What It's Worth: The Complete Epic Recordings 1964-1968: Amazon.co.uk: CDs & Vinyl

More gospel tinged than their later more familiar Stax material but everything you like about the Staple Singers is here... and then some. Includes the incomparable Freedom Highway - a contender for best ever live album IMO and quite hard to get otherwise without paying a lot of money.*

Sound quality is top notch too. Three of the six albums in the box are making their debut appearance on CD so these are presumably fresh remasters. The others sound equally good but my eyesight is not good enough anymore to fight my way through the 6 point type in the booklet to find out!

* there was a 2015 re-issue - Complete Freedom Highway - that removes much of the original edit but it too is out of print and expensive. There is also an old CD compilation confusingly called Freedom Highway that appears to bear no relation to the original (just two tracks in common). Watch for that one.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I nearly made the error of just hitting the buy button then noticed I bought it in 2018 . So it is a great collection and we'll worth buying

There may well be many on here who have Qobuz accounts who are well aware of this but they are currently offering some quite large discounts on various artists and albums for a digital download. You do need to create an account if you do not have one and do not have to subscribe . There are lots of different artists and musical styles including classical and Jazz and others. There are also some Hi Res downloads included some at quite low prices . Worth a little browse to see what's on offer if you have some spare time .

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/shop?qb...MI4b7Kqq6z9AIVme3tCh3fRAYQEAAYASACEgLhzfD_BwE

No idea, I think they have been issued several times over the years. They certainly sound good though.

I like quite a few Man (and spin-off, Neutrons) albums but this is exceptional IMHO.

71EfiLRF70L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Stephen

This is a free download of a mix by Habibi Funk Label on the UK bandcamp website . This is music I never knew existed but heard a few tracks on Cerys Mathews shows on Sunday on 6 Music . Lots of quite different styles but they seem to be of a type . This is a link to three mix sets they have made each about 35 mins long or more and are worth downloading to listen to . I have bought a number of full album downloads as well based on which artists I liked. Enjoy it is something quite different .

https://habibifunkrecords.bandcamp.com/album/habibi-funk-mix-1-7

advertisement

Back