advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

On the subject of VFET amps, I am considering a nice vintage Sony VFET integrated for £425 just to hear for myself what the hype is all about. It would fit well in the livingroom as a shiny showpiece.

SonyTA-4650-1170x600.jpg
Just run the power amp then. The TA-N5550 is very sweet sounding. Some diodes also need replacement. I had a Wega one step up, and wasn't too impressed, the 5550 is better for some reason, but was a bit bass weak.

On the subject of VFET amps, I am considering a nice vintage Sony VFET integrated for £425 just to hear for myself what the hype is all about. It would fit well in the livingroom as a shiny showpiece.

SonyTA-4650-1170x600.jpg

I have a Pass SIT 2 which is a really good amplifier but there are plenty of other really good non SIT amplifiers, as usual implementation is all.

Looks like I’ve been kicked out of the FB group for sarcastic posts!
Truth hurts.
Seems I’m not evicted. Just some posts deleted. However, no answers to my civil questions.

Last edited:
Looks like I’ve been kicked out of the FB group for sarcastic posts!
Truth hurts.
With destructive sarcasm, as exemplified here for months, nothing has ever been achieved. Quite the opposite. Here JohnW was driven away with it sustainably. That he does not put up with this in "his" group is more than understandable.
What have you achieved with your regular hate-speach here in the end? Nothing. Great performance....

With destructive sarcasm, as exemplified here for months, nothing has ever been achieved. Quite the opposite. Here JohnW was driven away with it sustainably. That he does not put up with this in "his" group is more than understandable.
What have you achieved with your regular hate-speach here in the end? Nothing. Great performance....

May I ask what have you achieved with being passive and non combative towards this John? do you have what you paid for yet? Curious?

And nothing has been achieved by you accepting the situation. Are you sitting in front of your products listening to music? No, didn’t think so. We have been stitched up good and proper. Time to accept it. He has changed his story more times than I can remember. PMSL with your hate speech!
For your information, for many years I said nothing. I started to ask if I’d get it before retirement. I messaged him directly with decent and courteous questions. Never got answers. Wonder why? I’m only £700 or so down. People are many thousands down. You expect that we shouldn’t express our feelings?! The truth hurts. Accept it. I have. However, I’m not going to stop questioning him.

Last edited:
May I ask what have you achieved with being passive and non combative towards this John? do you have what you paid for yet? Curious?
Quote: "What have you achieved with your regular hate-speach here in the end? Nothing. Great performance...."
But I readily concede to you not wanting to face this question. Could you come namely to the same result, as my assumption.

Can I just remind people that TonyL has left this thread open to discuss the progress, or not, of the Westlake products; not to slag each other off, which is against the AUP anyway.

FYI, no one has achieved anything. Least of all John. Do you really expect people who lost not inconsiderable amounts to say nothing? Do you actually believe that those that do are preventing him completing the project? “Ooh people are questioning me taking over £100K, I’ll show them. I won’t deliver”

This isn’t “hate speech”, this is just reality. What has he achieved by hiding away from scrutiny after taking everyone’s money? He has still delivered absolutely nothing to anyone. He has cashed-in on ideas pfm members paid him a fortune to develop and done a runner. I personally guarantee this thread will follow him around until he does right by the people he has ripped-off. There is no escape from it. This thread is John Westlake’s online CV.

He is not banned from pfm and can freely state his case here should he wish. That he does not speaks volumes. If there is anything untrue here he is welcome to sue me. I would like nothing more than to see him in court. Bring it on!

Fred, I was one of the few on here who constantly questioned John Westlake about the lack of progress on the project. I managed to get myself barred from his facebook page within a few days for having the audacity to point a finger at him. What did I achieve through that? I suspect I am one of a very very few people on here who have managed to get all of their investment back and I didn't mange to do that by sitting quietly in a corner saying nothing.

I was contacted by someone who claimed to know John very well, I suspect it was Jarek but I have no proof, and he gave me information which led me to believe John Westlake wasn't going to deliver MDAC2 anytime soon (this was about 2 years ago, I'd need to check the dates on the emails), mainly due to his financial position.

Armed with that information, I read every single MDAC thread on PFM and created a dossier of dates and promises which John Westlake had made - this took me weeks and weeks of my time and I ended up with a 34 page document. I sent it to John Westlake, along with screen grabs of the original MDAC Westlake pages he'd set up at the start of the project before they were changed and stating my position and what I planned to do next - I was going to pursue him through the European small claims court.

A couple of days later a post appeared on PFM asking if anyone wanted to 'sell' their position on the MDAC2 queue as someone was wanting to buy in. I made contact and was then sent a facebook link and exchanged a couple of messages with someone who claimed to be a friend of a friend of John Westlake. A few hours later I had the full value of my investment paid in to my bank account.

Maybe it was a coincidence, I'll let you decide for yourself.

Well. I tried more than once to leave the project. My last effort was when John agreed to rebuild a Quad integrated QII as a power amp with his improvements. Again the set deadline was not met, and not met and not met. ... So even that was beyond his ability to deliver. Then I found that he had deleted (left) some of our past conversations by PM. TonyL said they could not be recreated. Naturally, I backed up the remaining PM conversations.

Having considered the above two posts and mention of .... 'financial position' and 'deleting PMs'. I'm becoming more concerned.

On FB a date to end this Saga has been proposed;1st March 2022. JW has not responded yet. A line in the sand of time, deliver or refund.

Let's hope JW sees sense and agrees.

John simply "left" the conversations in question. Unless I had quoted him, none of his answers were left in the conversation. That is at least how I interpret the situation.

Last edited:
Fred, I was one of the few on here who constantly questioned John Westlake about the lack of progress on the project. I managed to get myself barred from his facebook page within a few days for having the audacity to point a finger at him. What did I achieve through that? I suspect I am one of a very very few people on here who have managed to get all of their investment back and I didn't mange to do that by sitting quietly in a corner saying nothing.

I was contacted by someone who claimed to know John very well, I suspect it was Jarek but I have no proof, and he gave me information which led me to believe John Westlake wasn't going to deliver MDAC2 anytime soon (this was about 2 years ago, I'd need to check the dates on the emails), mainly due to his financial position.

Armed with that information, I read every single MDAC thread on PFM and created a dossier of dates and promises which John Westlake had made - this took me weeks and weeks of my time and I ended up with a 34 page document. I sent it to John Westlake, along with screen grabs of the original MDAC Westlake pages he'd set up at the start of the project before they were changed and stating my position and what I planned to do next - I was going to pursue him through the European small claims court.

A couple of days later a post appeared on PFM asking if anyone wanted to 'sell' their position on the MDAC2 queue as someone was wanting to buy in. I made contact and was then sent a facebook link and exchanged a couple of messages with someone who claimed to be a friend of a friend of John Westlake. A few hours later I had the full value of my investment paid in to my bank account.

Maybe it was a coincidence, I'll let you decide for yourself.

Jarek here. My friend send me this forum link saying my name is getting mentioned here quite often. I just want to clarify few things.
This e-mail you say you have received is definetly not from me. After 4 or 5 years I left John for my own personal reasons and I have no interest in e-mailing others about what is going or not going to happen.
What I will say about John and his commitments here is that I don't belive he would consiously wanted to steal your money and then go on holiday. That would be very unlike him and there is a lot of bullshit on this forum people (some of which are apparently not even invested and are in for the drama) seem to make up.
However I undersand your frustations and I know John (and me to be fair) delivered nothing. Mostly caused unhleathy perfectionalism. The concept of the DAC changed more times that I can count, and you all know that as well. Always based on new findings.
However, unlike the claimed e-mail, I belive John is capable of delivering a great DAC, that is if he stops trying to make everything perfect. I didn't read much of the forum thread, but the latest chase for an ultra low phase noise crystal is one example.
I understand that it is critical for the DAC array performance (atleast for the DAC arrays we made when I was still working with John, I dont know what he is workin on now), but from my own experiments I know you can design a DAC array, that is much less sensitive to jitter.
Maybe it would not sound as good, but it would still sound amazing and you could be shipping it...you cannot make perfect products if you don't have decent product that are selling, that is my personal opinion.
The commercial projects were jobs which had nothing to do with your investment money or know-how developed for FDAC/MDAC2, as far as I know.
They were off the shelf chips and jobs mostly I was wokring on, while John was concentrating on FDAC/MDAC and VFETS.
I've not been in contact with John for years and I will not say more about this. Just wanted to clarify for selfish reasons. I don't want to be associated with any of this, as I started working with John after the crouwdfunding was made and left working with him about 2 years ago now. I have different life now and don't wish to get back into this mess. Thanks for understanding.

advertisement

Back