advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha, that’s a beauty!

Help me out here... how much has each of Manchester City’s Champions League titles cost them?

We just play about with the Champions League as a sideline while we're busy hoovering up Premier League titles.

3 titles in 4 years - domestic dominance. ;)

Against one in thirty years, I think. Back in the day, of course, that would mean only one qualification for the European Cup which is really the way it should be. You're not really a champion of Europe if you're not even a champion of your own country, surely.

Obviously, Liverpool and manure have been big spenders for years, trying to buy the league. I had thought Man City and Chelsea only in recent times.....but not so...;)

In 1930, Chelsea tried to buy the league title and paid £25,000 for Hughie Gallacher from Noocarsel to score some goals. That’s over £1.6m today. A large sum. Hughie duly scored loads of goals but the rest of the team wasn’t upto it so they won nowt, thankfully losing a great cup semi final to Noocarsel along the way. They flogged Hughie in 1934 to Derby for a couple of grand. Quite a loss back then.

Back in the day, of course, that would mean only one qualification for the European Cup which is really the way it should be.

I guess even Manchester City might have a chance the old way...

In 1978, Liverpool had a first round bye as reigning champions, before triumphing over the champions of East Germany, Portugal, West Germany, and Belgium. Seven games, Champions of Europe...

(Good to see Kenny laughing his socks off at Old Trafford on Sunday.)

Against one in thirty years, I think. Back in the day, of course, that would mean only one qualification for the European Cup which is really the way it should be. You're not really a champion of Europe if you're not even a champion of your own country, surely.
Absolutely.

I guess even Manchester City might have a chance the old way...

In 1978, Liverpool had a first round bye as reigning champions, before triumphing over the champions of East Germany, Portugal, West Germany, and Belgium. Seven games, Champions of Europe...

(Good to see Kenny laughing his socks off at Old Trafford on Sunday.)

Indeed it was.
I would definitely highlight the CL as evidence of money dominating the game. The competition is a mere caricature of the European cup, purely for the greed of Uefa and the multiple teams from each league involved. It has made a mockery of the UEFA cup too, turning into a laughing stock, and simply does not identify the best team in Europe, though of course any team winning it is a top side.
I don't say this as someone who doesn't want to win the competition, of course I do, but the competition has never offered me the same buzz as winning the league. Only part of this is for the reason CIty fans boo the anthem, and much of it is because the intense rivalry still felt by City fans is to United, Liverpool, Tottenham, Villa and others and teams like Bayern, Barcelona and Real, no matter how huge, do not offer the same feeling. This is probably a legacy of being nowhere near the league for about 40 years of my life; I imagine some younger City fans feel differently.

by that reckoning then the only occasion that City got to the final and messed up then they shouldn't have been in the competition in the first place?
Just keep spending, you'll win it one day

The Champions League has been in this format for many years - I really don't see the problem.
Domestic league winners are placed in 'Pot 1' along with the current holders and so have arguably a better chance of progressing to the KO stages than others.
If we want to discuss something ridiculous in football then look no further than the play-off system for promotion & relegation in the lower leagues.

CL is just a cash cow, little in common with than an actual contest. Teams just want to get him the top 4, it’s quite pathetic really.

Play offs in lower leagues are also pretty well established, I am a fan but massively biased given my club’s record.

by that reckoning then the only occasion that City got to the final and messed up then they shouldn't have been in the competition in the first place?
Just keep spending, you'll win it one day

If you support the idea of champions only, which I do, you are quite correct. I am sure we will.

Imagine only qualifying once in thirty years though when your whole identity is built on European and not domestic success.

CL is just a cash cow, little in common with than an actual contest. Teams just want to get him the top 4, it’s quite pathetic really.

Play offs in lower leagues are also pretty well established, I am a fan but massively biased given my club’s record.
If you were a fan of a team that regularly qualified for the CL you'd have a different view - probably in line with the 'biased' view you hold regarding the play offs.
I'm struggling to think of anything more unfair/ridiculous than say finishing 3rd in the Championship and then having to play in a mini knockout competition against sides that you've already proved over the course of the season that you're better than to gain promotion.
This is a 'cash cow' albeit on a smaller scale than the CL and creates a situation where finishing 6th is as good as finishing 3rd - it's just nonsense and massively devalues the 46 league matches played throughout the season.

Your whole identity based on European success ? Not really very true but a nice slant to put on things . If things were back as they were then there would also be a Uefa and Cup winners cup which may well have been something that we qualified for and quite possibly could do well in . Sadly a return to those days is never going to happen and the future looks like being a bloated expansion of the current set up . It does mean that there is more chance of less than great teams such as Liverpool in Istanbul ending up winners but you can only play the teams in front of you and perform the best you can under the rules . It may well be false but it is no less true that you are European Champions that year .

Your whole identity based on European success ? Not really very true but a nice slant to put on things . If things were back as they were then there would also be a Uefa and Cup winners cup which may well have been something that we qualified for and quite possibly could do well in . Sadly a return to those days is never going to happen and the future looks like being a bloated expansion of the current set up . It does mean that there is more chance of less than great teams such as Liverpool in Istanbul ending up winners but you can only play the teams in front of you and perform the best you can under the rules . It may well be false but it is no less true that you are European Champions that year .

Absolutely true - you can only beat what is in front of you but who should get the chance: domestic champions or 2nd, 3rd, and 4th placed teams?

I agree the old system meant more and being an very old codger I would love to see it return to the way it was but both you and I know this will never happen and we will end up like the older generation for me going on and on about 1966 and England winning the world cup . yes we did but enough now . So while I think both of use would love to see a real European Cup we need to let it drop and just deal with the reality of what we have . While it is not anything like ideal it is still an achievement to win and an accolade all footballers would like to see in their CV . What you have to be careful about though is not to let it become an obsession which Liverpool the club were in danger of doing .

Of course there are those who might argue that it gives a deserved opportunity to the clubs who are not in the fortuitous position of being to buy their domestic league title nearly every season.;)

Of course there are those who might argue that it gives a deserved opportunity to the clubs who are not in the fortuitous position of being to buy their domestic league title nearly every season.;)

PSG anyone ?

I agree the old system meant more and being an very old codger I would love to see it return to the way it was but both you and I know this will never happen and we will end up like the older generation for me going on and on about 1966 and England winning the world cup . yes we did but enough now . So while I think both of use would love to see a real European Cup we need to let it drop and just deal with the reality of what we have . While it is not anything like ideal it is still an achievement to win and an accolade all footballers would like to see in their CV . What you have to be careful about though is not to let it become an obsession which Liverpool the club were in danger of doing .

Hence my earlier comment.

Unfortunately, the whole top four are buying their way into it and the CL prize money then returns it to be spent once more. That is the reason why it was United, Liverpool and Arsenal +1 and it is now City, Chelsea, Liverpool and United. As some of those clubs then sought to influence seeding arrangements and block other clubs investing, the gap would have simply grown every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back