advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

I find it hard to resist a good jazz piano trio and I'm really enjoying this, It is very ECM, very intricate and very beautiful - and it manages to include both Bach and The Doors as well as this Carla Bley tune.

Nubya Garcia’s Source + We Move remix album landed this morning. I got the limited maroon vinyl from her (Concord label) shop. Packaging not great, just a standard envelope mailer, but amazingly it landed without even the slightest corner-ding or crease and is a very nice flat and quiet pressing. I got the black and white print too, which is apparently a random insert that some copies get, some don’t. As with all these things it is rather patchy, some mixes work way better than others. Nice to have rather than essential. She needs to get some genuinely new stuff out now!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
He’s a new one on me, just listening to the gig upthread and liking it so far. Enough to take a punt on his Blue Note debut Kingmaker as its not unreasonably priced at present. Vibes are cool things and sound good in this context. Lots of great stuff happening in the US and it all interlinks with the UK scene to some degree, e.g. Makaya McCraven and other acts on International Anthem. I’ve bought a few things just on the strength of the label. Some of it fitting in that no-mans land between jazz and whatever Sault etc do. Loads of amazing stuff at the moment IMO.

PS Superbly ridiculous black and yellow trainers on the sax dude. I now want a pair, obvs.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Nubya Garcia’s Source + We Move remix album landed this morning. I got the limited maroon vinyl from her (Concord label) shop. Packaging not great, just a standard envelope mailer, but amazingly it landed without even the slightest corner-ding or crease and is a very nice flat and quiet pressing. I got the black and white print too, which is apparently a random insert that some copies get, some don’t. As with all these things it is rather patchy, some mixes work way better than others. Nice to have rather than essential. She needs to get some genuinely new stuff out now!

On Jools Holland this Saturday. Sadly so is Sting :(

Great that she's on Jools Holland, i think we are living through a renaissance of Jazz if that's what you want to call it! Sheila Maurice-Grey, Cassie Kinoshi, Richie Seivwright and Nubya Garcia are making some amazing music.

Thanks Dave, not heard of Joel Ross :)

i think we are living through a renaissance of Jazz if that's what you want to call it!

Absolutely, to my eyes jazz is in the best health for decades, certainly since the ‘70s. It is now firmly back in the hands of the young and back being a protest music. I do certainly like some of the white academic jazz of the ‘80s through to now (ECM, European free jazz, Gondwana etc), but there is always something a little cold and abstracted to my mind as it is inevitably removed from its cultural roots and meaning. The current London and US stuff puts it back exactly where it should be and sitting in the shop racks along with rap, dubstep etc.

I agree it sounds like "now" to my ears the music is very powerful not just cerebral. I think Kojey Radical and Sons of Kemet were collaborating together last time i heard. A polymath, his album 23 Winters should have had a bigger audience.

I do certainly like some of the white academic jazz of the ‘80s through to now (ECM, European free jazz, Gondwana etc), but there is always something a little cold and abstracted to my mind as it is inevitably removed from its cultural roots and meaning. The current London and US stuff puts it back exactly where it should be and sitting in the shop racks along with rap, dubstep etc.

Interesting though to see players like Binker Golding playing with people like John Edwards and Steve Noble etc, Shabaka playing with Louis Moholo and Alex Hawkins. There's definitely a crossover.

advertisement

Back