advertisement

FM Radio

Yup. Mentioned this on a tuner thread last week. Did I sell my 01 too soon, I ask? Doesn't matter 'cos my cheap as chips NAD is its equal, I've found. Love FM (R2,R3, R4 & Classic FM. Have never been without it (since the mid sixties at least).

Don’t worry I’m sure the BBC will get round to further destroying the fm signal soon.
I bought a half decent dab tuner (mf) and fed it thru a super duper dac, still crap, internet radio is compromised but destroys dab.

I'm glad its extended but for me it's irrelevant. My nearest transmitter is Sutton Coldfield 60 miles away. I had a 5 element antiference aerial on the roof but it was still too weather dependent.
The squeezebox touch then Pis have taken over for radio sourcing. Radio 3 is brilliant plus I have world sources for radio at my fingertips.

DAB was always an irrelevant crap source. I would use freeview as a better quality source of radio signal than DAB. The only real use I have for DAB is a Pure unit with very clever down firing Bass reflex bedside alarm clock. That gets an airing when I'm ironing shirts.

That is not very far away. Only 8 years. I wonder how many will still only have FM in their cars in 2030...
I love my FM tuners.
However…
I find myself using the iPhone for radio more and more often in my car via Bluetooth.
No birdies, no annoying disruptions of service. And I live in the country!
Oh well.
No real DAB service in France anyway.

Good Morning,

Isn't FM radio a bit like vinyl and CD's??????? OK in its day but things move on..................

Regards

Richard

Good Morning,

Isn't FM radio a bit like vinyl and CD's??????? OK in its day but things move on..................

Regards

Richard

Not in the slightest.

Compare the number of people using FM with kit they feel no urge to replace for no reason. That's an ocean of landfill - Greta would rightly be appalled and it would be a hard sell to the environmental lobby. In use, FM is not a faff for ordinary listening and has none of the fragility in use that vinyl had so no major selling point to remove it for convenience or resilience.

The main competitor, DAB has been made quite obviously inferior for the serious listeners - shockingly so for anything that isn't Radio 3. At the other end of the scale Internet radio hasn't caught on for the bulk of portable listening outside of phones and headphones.

Most long session radio listeners, whether that's dedicated or on in the background have no need of a large selection of weird and highly compressed stations when their existing boxes receives what they would listen to. The promotion of digital radio, even when coupled with the attempts to starve FM of content, have been a miserable failure compared to the promotion of CD digital audio.

So no things haven't moved on and left to pure listener choice, it stubbornly refuses to. That's why there have been so many attempts to force it.

BTW I'm not sure what you are looking at, but vinyl shows no sign of becoming history anytime soon either. It never had quite the unbiquity than transistor radios had and is a dedicated listening experience rather than a general one anyway.

It’s just about the enjoyment of using our old and gorgeous tuners.
Today FM is digitally processed anyway. FM sound can’t be better than good internet radio.
It’s like vinyl pressed from digital masters.

It’s just a different presentation of the music, a presentation I enjoy in the overachieving Creek. I like internet radio but FM has something special. It has life and you can almost hear it breath.

advertisement

Back