advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruno Le Maire, French finance minister, asked whether the French government would ever consider using American companies like Amazon to store the state's digital information, as Britain is about to do with Amazon for MI5, MI6 and GCGQ, said that they would never consider such a move as it would constitue a significant loss of sovereignty. :)

It seems the Brexiteers are reduced to the 1 note tune about the EU being un-reformable. Well, perhaps it is, but I do think we would have been a lot better off staying in it. So does this guy:
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59070020
Adenoidal Fraser Nelson of The Spectator says it’s not possible to disentangle the negative economic impacts of Covid and Brexit, not for the rest of the decade any way- right on message with his boss Aidan Barclay who’s nether regions Nelson is paid to lick rather than attempt any simulation of journalism. Hearing the likes of Nelson pontificating on the economic well-being of the working poor after Sunak’s budget is utterly nauseating. These people are paid shills.

You can also argue that it is an unnecessary and bureaucratic layer of government which is monolithic in its approach and ill suited to the disparate needs of its constituent countries.

Side-splitting stuff!
I agree.

My post #397 was fine and most certainly not a snipe at anyone. On the contrary, your ‘contribution’ in reply was a snipe.

Side-splitting that you’re behaving like a kid? Definitely.

You dug a hole with that nonsense post/unnecessary snipe in an attempt to provoke. I’m just LMAO at you now.

Adenoidal Fraser Nelson of The Spectator says it’s not possible to disentangle the negative economic impacts of Covid and Brexit, not for the rest of the decade any way- right on message with his boss Aidan Barclay who’s nether regions Nelson is paid to lick rather than attempt any simulation of journalism. Hearing the likes of Nelson pontificating on the economic well-being of the working poor after Sunak’s budget is utterly nauseating. These people are paid shills.
I agree he is a nauseating type, however, on this he might be right, he might be wrong. Personally, I don’t know.

Can you post some evidence showing he is wrong?

The OBR article is in the quoted post.

Let's think..... the OBR are experts in this field. Nelson is a paid hack by people who promoted and helped fund Brexit, who also employ Johnson. Gee that's a tough one.

It seems the Brexiteers are reduced to the 1 note tune about the EU being un-reformable. Well, perhaps it is, but I do think we would have been a lot better off staying in it. So does this guy:
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59070020

That report seems to estimate the 'long term' loss of GDP compared to our having stayed in at about 4%. If 'long-term' means 4% over 15 years, then if memory serves it is consistent with the pre-referendum 'project fear' Treasury estimations.

It of course entirely depends on the policies of successive governments here (there will have been another three by then), as well as events in mainland Europe. Quite apart from the inevitably destructive dynamics of the Euro, the EU's regulatory inclinations and complex, increasingly irritable decision making processes, already ensure that the bloc's growth lags increasingly behind the developing countries and the US.

I don't think your link indicates news, more confirmation of existing opinion.

The OBR article is in the quoted post.

Let's think..... the OBR are experts in this field. Nelson is a paid hack by people who promoted and helped fund Brexit, who also employ Johnson. Gee that's a tough one.
Sarcasm.

It is correct to be sceptical of anything posted by hard remainers.

Last edited:
That report seems to estimate the 'long term' loss of GDP compared to our having stayed in at about 4%. If 'long-term' means 4% over 15 years, then if memory serves it is consistent with the pre-referendum 'project fear' Treasury estimations.

It of course entirely depends on the policies of successive governments here (there will have been another three by then), as well as events in mainland Europe. Quite apart from the inevitably destructive dynamics of the Euro, the EU's regulatory inclinations and complex, increasingly irritable decision making processes, already ensure that the bloc's growth lags increasingly behind the developing countries and the US.

I don't think your link indicates news, more confirmation of existing opinion.
More a confirmation that project fear was right, and all else con-merchant fodder.

Bruno Le Maire, French finance minister, asked whether the French government would ever consider using American companies like Amazon to store the state's digital information, as Britain is about to do with Amazon for MI5, MI6 and GCGQ, said that they would never consider such a move as it would constitue a significant loss of sovereignty. :)

Yes but Boris gets free Amazon prime for that vassalage.

...on this he might be right, he might be wrong. Personally, I don’t know.

Can you post some evidence showing he is wrong?
Is this the thread upon which your adherence to Brexit is now hanging, or would clear, disentangled evidence of its detriment ever be enough to turn you?

It of course entirely depends on the policies of successive governments here (there will have been another three by then), as well as events in mainland Europe.

No it doesn't. That's not how reports like this work, for reasons which will be obvious if you think about it for a few minutes.

More a confirmation that project fear was right, and all else con-merchant fodder.

It may well have been right. Unequipped as I am with the miracle crystalline orbs unique to your tribe, I guess we'll just have to see how things pan out. I honestly don't think there have been any surprises thus far, even taking covid out of the equation.

No it doesn't. That's not how reports like this work, for reasons which will be obvious if you think about it for a few minutes.

Reports such as this tend to work on the basis of all else being equal, unless there are a wide range of different scenarios dropped into the modelling, with a range of different outcomes. We're only seeing one potential outcome in this report, as far as I'm aware.

It may well have been right. Unequipped as I am with the miracle crystalline orbs unique to your tribe, I guess we'll just have to see how things pan out. I honestly don't think there have been any surprises thus far, even taking covid out of the equation.
You don't need them. Your ordinary eyes are sufficient. Quite enough has come to pass, and the chances of much of the rest not doing so too are, well, slim. Even the stuff that leave like to think they've scraped through with, like the pound plunging, NI kicking off or leaving, a free Scotland...give it time, and I don't mean JRM's fifty years. At the rate we're going a decade will be ample, and probably half that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back