advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to decide what I think about this:

The head of the Oxford Vaccine Group has suggested that the UK should stop asymptomatic Covid testing in schools. Prof Andrew Pollard told MPs on the Commons science and technology committee that it was “absolutely critical we keep children in school”.

"Clearly, the large amount of testing in schools is very disruptive to the system, whether that is the individual child who is then isolating because they tested positive but they’re completely well, or because of the concerns that that raises more widely in the school – we’re aware of families taking their children out because someone’s tested positive in a school. So I think there is a huge impact of widespread testing in schools.

I think probably we need to move in the pandemic, over this winter, maybe towards the end of the winter, to a completely different system of clinically-driven testing. In other words, testing people who are unwell rather than having regular testing of those people who are well, because that does drive a lot of these actions that happen, particularly in schools, if you have lots of asymptomatic testing."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08ea671ec0a13a#block-617801af8f08ea671ec0a13a

Covid has had a huge impact on kids education and I completely understand the importance of trying to minimise the disruption in schools. On the other hand focusing on testing only symptomatic children seems likely to increase the risk of infection in families.

(I may be slightly biased as a sibling tested positive this morning following both kids catching it - for one of them the sixth case in that class this week)

I’m aware of that. The government appointed people that got the job done and can’t be denied crowing about the fact.

I don't get the point. Why have children's vax gone up the Suwannee for example? The Government has failed at every turn and that is why we're being denied a judicial inquiry.

I don't really understand why the booster jabs are being administered in less locations. Perhaps because less of the population need them so less resources have been assigned? It's strange after seeing how well organised the initial jabs were.

FWIW I'll be getting mine at the same South London clinic I had the first two jabs.

It's no longer a priority - they're millions behind.

Trying to decide what I think about this:

The head of the Oxford Vaccine Group has suggested that the UK should stop asymptomatic Covid testing in schools. Prof Andrew Pollard told MPs on the Commons science and technology committee that it was “absolutely critical we keep children in school”.

"Clearly, the large amount of testing in schools is very disruptive to the system, whether that is the individual child who is then isolating because they tested positive but they’re completely well, or because of the concerns that that raises more widely in the school – we’re aware of families taking their children out because someone’s tested positive in a school. So I think there is a huge impact of widespread testing in schools.

I think probably we need to move in the pandemic, over this winter, maybe towards the end of the winter, to a completely different system of clinically-driven testing. In other words, testing people who are unwell rather than having regular testing of those people who are well, because that does drive a lot of these actions that happen, particularly in schools, if you have lots of asymptomatic testing."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08ea671ec0a13a#block-617801af8f08ea671ec0a13a

Covid has had a huge impact on kids education and I completely understand the importance of trying to minimise the disruption in schools. On the other hand focusing on testing only symptomatic children seems likely to increase the risk of infection in families.

(I may be slightly biased as a sibling tested positive this morning following both kids catching it - for one of them the sixth case in that class this week)

Won't be long before the government announce the launch of COVID parties like their measles counterparts from many decades ago. Seriously though this is bonkers thinking. It's effectively saying that kids should go to school regardless of whether they are testing positive or not and only stay off if they are unwell with it. It's like fanning the flames of the pandemic. My partner's kids recently all had a week and a half off school when they caught it and two of them couldn't have gone in anyway. If there had been some preventative measures in place (like there was for the Spring term) they may well not have caught it or had any time off school (like they didn't in the Spring term). Hmmm, it's not rocket science is it?

I don't really understand why the booster jabs are being administered in less locations. Perhaps because less of the population need them so less resources have been assigned?

Speaking from a local perspective the first jabs were administered in a large modern local council building/library that was otherwise closed due to the national lockdown. It is now open and back functioning as normal, so I guess no longer available. I suspect this is the case in much of the country. I still find it bizarre I was expected to travel six miles or so to a neighbouring town as I’m hardly out in the sticks here. I don’t see why provision couldn’t have been made at the local hospital or health centre (we have both). The whole thing seemed utterly chaotic in comparison to the first two jabs. No reflection on the NHS staff, they were helpful, good fun and doing a great job. This was a strategy/planning issue.

I think they do in this case because the vaccination roll-out was their only success. People forget their incompetence in all other areas of the pandemic. Given a mild winter they may get lucky again, but Johnson is a risk taker and he is going to run out of luck eventually. Hopefully sooner rather than later…

Would it be ungallant of me to hope that his failure of luck involved stepping out in front of a large red bus?

I don't really understand why the booster jabs are being administered in less locations. Perhaps because less of the population need them so less resources have been assigned? It's strange after seeing how well organised the initial jabs were.

Forgive the pedantry but it is fewer locations.. not less. We must preserve grammatical correctness, even in these difficult times.. Our civilisation is at a crossroads.. ;)

FWIW I'll be getting mine at the same South London clinic I had the first two jabs.

Our neighbourhood Whatsapp group started frantically messaging this evening as one of our number... Barbara at No.44..had managed to get onto the NHS website and book her jab!
So, I went on there. There was nothing on the Mobile App pointing to the Covid Booster.. but a search of the site using 'Covid Booster', took me to a page telling me I could now book. It invited me to select a site. Options included the St Helens RL Ground site where I had my first two jabs, and which was the only site in St Helens for the first jabs... plus a number of other sites. I selected the RL ground, and a time. I was asked for Mobile No., and email (optional). Site accepted my phone No., but not my emailaddy, which it continually told me was incorrect/not valid. It is valid... trust me. This pratting about took so long that my original choice of time was gone before I booked it.. So..I 'sacked off' the email option, went with just Mobile No..and now have a confirmed appt. for 4th Nov., which is 195 days beyond my secong jab.

God help the truly IT limited.

The cynical might say that they do and the hurdles being put in the way of the elderly and infirm, not IT literate, are deliberate, as a cost cutting cull

Remember that BJs Dad slunk off to France after voting for Brexit. Where they have much better healthcare.

Naahhh.. My tiny mistake was a typo...not a grammatical error of epic proportions!
You need to get a sense of proportion Joe! ;)

Robber Baroness Dido, darling of the Tory Party. To think she tried to add Chief Executive NHS England to a CV already littered with failures.

I liked the comment from the Committee Chair "...that the Dido Harding-led test and trace programme treated taxpayers as if they were “an ATM”."

I liked the comment from the Committee Chair "...that the Dido Harding-led test and trace programme treated taxpayers as if they were “an ATM”."
Fortunes will have been made, fortunes mean big Tory party donations and Party donations mean more Tory peerages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back