advertisement

Preamp paint damage

I totally understand that feeling, I really try my very best to keep stuff pristine and it eats at me if something pristine gets damaged. My ex girlfriend was just outright careless, everything in her house was damaged, she didn’t look after anything… and I have a Linn Majik with a snapped off key to show for it, now residing on my work bench as part of my test bed because I couldn’t put it in a system that’s on show and it’s resale value is seriously diminished because of it… I bought another Majik in mint condition to replace it because Linn could no longer supply the key panel, that’s how much it bothered me. Don’t ask how she managed it because I really don’t know, she just apologised and never came up with any explanation… she scratched the display window of my Klimax Kontrol and the wooden arm of a chair with a dog crate, seconds apart. Managed to get a new display window for the preamp, the chair still has a gouge out of the arm. She managed to get hair dye on my landing and bedroom carpet too… we didn’t last.:rolleyes:

I also had a girlfriend like that. Thank god in that time I didn't have much things to care. She was very clumsy and destroyed many things

Might be a pricey solution, but you could draw out plans to have a thin (0.5mm) aluminium plate laser cut, to perfectly fit over the phono sockets. Each cluster of phono sockets already has a white rounded off rectangular area marked on the panel, so you could get something cut to perfectly fit inside that section. Lasermaster.co.uk are good for very reasonable cost. Would probably be the neatest solution, albeit at a cost. Or you could print up a sticker using a laser printer to fit over the same area as a cheaper alternative?

£10-20 (I've used Lasermaster before). Depends how perfectionist the OP is. I'd likely go a decent quality matt sticker route to cover it up.

Might be a pricey solution, but you could draw out plans to have a thin (0.5mm) aluminium plate laser cut, to perfectly fit over the phono sockets. Each cluster of phono sockets already has a white rounded off rectangular area marked on the panel, so you could get something cut to perfectly fit inside that section. Lasermaster.co.uk are good for very reasonable cost. Would probably be the neatest solution, albeit at a cost. Or you could print up a sticker using a laser printer to fit over the same area as a cheaper alternative?

I think it is a creative ideia. Despite that, I think ink will take less from the originality. Also, I cannot take the service as I'm not in the UK.

I'm going to England and Scotland on august 2022, maybe I can take the Halfords bumper black paint in this period.

What about a Nanquim pen?

Ah right so would they do a face plate for a pre amp or would they need a cad drawing ?

They even take rough sketches. If I remember correctly I just used Photoshop when I got some work done. I’m sure a tiny plate for just that section of the phono sockets would be cheap. But yes likely too much hassle vs. feathering it in with paint or something. I’m rather OCD about condition so would always take the long way round… ;)

Where abouts are you? I noticed a post recently on Instagram of a shop in Barcelona that had made a really top job of restoring a preamp, perhaps there's someone local to you who could help you out.

Where abouts are you? I noticed a post recently on Instagram of a shop in Barcelona that had made a really top job of restoring a preamp, perhaps there's someone local to you who could help you out.

Hello. I'm in Brasil

Other ideia is to change all the rear pannel. But I highly doubt someone have this part in mint condition somewhere.

Other is to find a new old stock same preamp. When I bought this one, a friend of mine want the same. He can get this one and I buy the new one with the selling.

Just don't worry about it.

@Cícero Shmidt ^^^At the end of the day, I have to agree with that. I realise how disappointed you must be, but it's just one of life's lessons to be learned, this one being that Isopropanol is not a suitable cleaning agent for cleaning equipment panels, because it will take paint off; as suggested elsewhere, anti static foam cleaner is much safer and is very effective.

Can you send me the instagram page? Maybe they can help me at distance

@Cícero Shmidt ^^^At the end of the day, I have to agree with that. I realise how disappointed you must be, but it's just one of life's lessons to be learned, this one being that Isopropanol is not a suitable cleaning agent for cleaning equipment panels, because it will take paint off; as suggested elsewhere, anti static foam cleaner is much safer and is very effective.

Thank you for the advice. I'm sure is among the best. I'm glad that so far I haven't screwed up anything trying to improve. I will surround myself with good opinions and certainties before acting. If I'm still insecure, I'll do nothing.

Try matte spray vinyl paint. The stuff car tuners use to paint wheels pink or gold. With very careful masking you could just leave a small rectangular background around the contacts. The beauty of this paint is that you can peel it off with a bit of judicious rubbing with your fingers so even if you make a complete hash of it you can start over from scratch. It can’t do any harm.

advertisement

Back