advertisement

Hegel Owners - app advice please

Paulq2

pfm Member
I am considering a Hegel H390/H590 towards the beginning of next year, funds permitting, to pair with a pair of ProAc DB1s. I need to demo one or both so that'll be the first step.

I am curious what app people use to stream to them and how effective it is as I understand that there isn't a dedicated Hegel app. I use Tidal, Qobuz, NAS and internet Radio (Radio Paradise in the main) and use an Android device so no Airplay - I'd prefer to avoid this anyway.

I have read about mConnect and had a quick look and it doesn't appear to be particularly slick. The other I have looked at is Bubble UPnP but, again, I am not sure if or how well this works with Hegel.

Whatever solution I find needs to make sure I can use Tidal/Qobuz at the actual resolution the tracks were meant to stream at (i.e. I use some of the Hi-Res stuff on Qobuz and wouldn't want the app to compress or reduce that).

Any advice or experiences from Hegel owners please? Thanks.

I used both uPNP apps on Android with my Hegel, whilst also using Airplay on an ipad for Radio Paradise. RadioP with uPNP wasn't worth the hassle and I needed the full app functions to quickly fast forward any Santana and Dylan.

MConnect feels liked it's aimed at iOS users and I didn't get on with it on Android, Bubble was better especially if you want to access local music files on your device. Neither app is as slick as BlueOS (for instance) but you get used to them. I was also using Qobuz, having moved from Tidal. I then dropped Qobuz to return to Spotify as the Hegel has a tweaked implementation of both Spoty Connect and Airplay that are really very good indeed and by no means inferior to Qobuz hi-res over uPnP.

My advice would be to:
1. Get a Bluesound Node that gives you native Tidal Connect and Radio Paradise, else;
2. Embrace iOS and use Airplay

That's really helpful thanks. Just a couple of follow up comments/questions:

1 - I am highly unlikely (read: never) to be an iOS user. Having read your comments, despite its flaws and relative clunkiness are you saying that Bubble UPnP WILL perform streaming of Tidal, Qobuz and NAS library to a Hegel?

2 - I am intrigued by your last comment. Having used a Node before I agree that the UI is excellent but are you suggesting that I use the Node in lieu of the Hegel's streaming section and thus just use the latter as an amp? Not being a techy, if I do that, how would you suggest connecting the two so that the best DAC is optimised?

Thanks again.

Bubble UPNP app once installed will find your Qobuz music service and will allow you to stream your hi-res, but wirelessly from your device - which will stop when you go out of range of your router. I cant vouch for Tidal on Bubble, as I never tried it. I never used a NAS either, but recall a setting that will enable to you find it.

Yes, a Node will work nicely connected to your Hegel. Hegel user's report that the coax spdif is the best input to receive the Node's digital output. You will then have a wired - native implentation of Tidal Connect and Radio P. Qobuz will also work fine, albeit not a native implementation. This arrangement whilst best for a solid connection to Tidal etc didn't appeal to my minimalist sensibilities, epsecially since the Hegel has a good streamer on board, hence why I went back to Spotify, which rembered all my playlists from years back - an unexpected bonus.

Thanks, that's my hesitation also. The intention behind the Hegel was/is to minimise the boxes and inputs so, whilst the Node idea is a good one, I am not sure it's a goer for me.

Back to the drawing board. Appreciate your help.

No worries. Tbh, as it stands - if you're going to the expense of a 390 or 590 you'd be a bit underwhelmed with uPNP as the sole streaming transport.
Worth keeping an eye on Hegel though as the 390 and 590 support MQA, so Tidal Connect maybe on the horizon, maybe.

I still use one of my CCA's and just utilise the DAC in my lowly H95.

It seems good enough and allows me to use the native apps.

If Spotify ever do lossless I'll perhaps forgo the CCA.

Yes, that's a good point. A Chromecast Audio will open up Qobuz, Tidal and Radio P on Android allowing you run digitally to the Hegel's optical input. More robust and user friendly than uPNP IME. Cant recall what the CCA tops out at though - 96/24?

Yes, that's a good point. A Chromecast Audio will open up Qobuz, Tidal and Radio P on Android allowing you run digitally to the Hegel's optical input. More robust and user friendly than uPNP IME. Cant recall what the CCA tops out at though - 96/24?

Yes

Thanks, that's my hesitation also. The intention behind the Hegel was/is to minimise the boxes and inputs so, whilst the Node idea is a good one, I am not sure it's a goer for me.

Back to the drawing board. Appreciate your help.

Both BubbleUPnP and mconnect Player will talk to TIDAL, Qobuz and your NAS. Neither of them has built-in Internet radio though, although I seem to recall that there is a hack to get it working with BubbleUPnP. If you are even in or around Stockport, you are very welcome to a demo.

Roon. Im not sure if h1/390 are Roon ready (I didnt use Roon when i had a h160), but you could use a simple Raspberry pi solution to make your hegel Roon ready. Once I went the Roon route I have never even considered anything else.

Roon. Im not sure if h1/390 are Roon ready (I didnt use Roon when i had a h160), but you could use a simple Raspberry pi solution to make your hegel Roon ready. Once I went the Roon route I have never even considered anything else.

Despite years of promises, Hegel amps remain as not Roon Ready. Many owners are mightily annoyed about this, as purchases were made on the basis of imminent Roon Ready status.

Hegel amps are OK, but nothing special imo. Quite pricey too for a China assembled product. Lots of other really good "all in one" amps out there.

Granted that I've never heard h390 or h590 as compared to my h190, but I don't think the difference between 190 vs 390 will be heard in a 5 inch speakers, even if 390 has better dac

You may be right (or not, I can't comment) about the comparatively small gap between 190/390 but I was more curious as to how you arrived at the conclusion that the H390/590 were 'overkill' for the DB1's?

You may be right (or not, I can't comment) about the comparatively small gap between 190/390 but I was more curious as to how you arrived at the conclusion that the H390/590 were 'overkill' for the DB1's?
makes no sense price-wise with the DB1 and H590 in my mind atleast. the h590 is roughly three times as expensive as the speakers. plus paying €10k for something made in china (although they try to smooth it over by saying 'designed in oslo'). but afaik mconnect is the app that is usually recommended for the hegel amplifiers.

I don't mean there is a comparative small gap between 190 and 390, what I mean is the comparative small gap when it comes to using it on your proac db1.

Like I say, it's only a 5 inch speakers and I assume you are not using it in a large room. There's only so much you can push a 5 inch and h190 is aplenty. When you are using an 8 inch or a floorstander in a bigger room, I can then see how the 390 or 590 will provide the speakers with greater dynamics, bass energy, etc. But for a 5inch in a small room, there is only so much it can do.

advertisement

Back