advertisement

Records more profitable than CDs

wacko

pfm Member
Perhaps not surprising to some but apparently 2021 is the first year, since the 1980s, that music companies will make more money from selling records than CDs.
Over 1 million records in the UK alone.

Does anyone actually buy new CDs these days?

As an aside....I notice new cars mostly don't come with a CD player now?

Does anyone actually buy new CDs these days?

As an aside....I notice new cars mostly don't come with a CD player now?

Yes, some people still buy CDs and my Dad actually was saying on Sunday that his new car didn't have a CD player though I think he generally listens to Classic FM when driving.

I’ve not bought a cd for years.I was looking at my collection yesterday and wondered whether I should sell it.

Trouble is that most of the pressing plants have gone, so small independent labels have to wait months to get vinyl pressed.

The unit sales of CDs in the U.K. in 2020 actually far exceeded those of L.P.s but as has been pointed out earlier, when translated into revenue terms , vinyl won the sales race. The latter format has however now become so ridiculously expensive, that CD s will probably stage a revival sometime down the line.

And I bet most who buy the LPs just "feel" them and ohhhhhh over the art work & never play them - go to online for that

I still buy CDs - rip them and then stick them in loft. Amittedly purchases nowadays have slowed down and are mainly impulse buys from charity shops and Amazon if it is something specific that I want. Having, over the years, given away a record collection, a cassette collection and a load of minidiscs I want to keep a hard copy of what I have in case my dac fails. I also regret having parted with some of my LPs so I want to keep the CDs. I have an old R965 BX for backup should the Dac break or if a wave of nostagia washes over me. So I would keep them if you have space to store them.

I still buy CDs but not as many as before, still the best sound for pound IMV. I have started to buy the odd download via Bandcamp & recently bought the Sault ‘9’ on vinyl. Played it once & it doesn’t really add anything to the experience v the download.

The great thing about CD is that they can be picked up 2nd hand for pennies with no real risk.

When I said do people still buy new CDs....I didn't mean from charity shops! I meant NEW ones

I buy lots of new c.d’s (not classical)

Helps now that I have 2 decent c.d. players, the sound is good although I prefer my record players.

In the charity shop ‘Headway’ brain injury charity, they sell 3 c.d’s for a quid. There is occasionally something that I pick up there, usually nr mint condition.
We sell more records though, and I can price up to a tenner and folks will pay. Mind you, I price stuff cheaper than Discogs, I like sticking prog. rock in the shop, it flies out. Even the old boxsets of Glenn Miller I can shift, 5 albums, nr, mint for 50p.
The flipside ;) is that I have just binned another 100 albums that have no value.

advertisement

Back