advertisement

To DR or not to DR (Supercap)

Has anyone actually swapped out a 252/SC for an upgrade to a 32.5/RSL? Probably not. Someone on here may prove me wrong.

Close!!

A 252/SCdr swopped for a 72 with remote control RSL cards and local regs
The 72 just makes your feet tap and you sing along to the music
The 252 was sterile...not even as nice as an 82 / hicap

Don't get me wrong...the 252 is not a bad preamp....it's more about a balanced system...mine was not balanced...even though it ran to 10's of thousands £
A happy system is a balanced one...it's that simple
It's been about 2 years now...and still no desire to change anything! ( But maybe keep improving on what I already own :))

Close!!

A 252/SCdr swopped for a 72 with remote control RSL cards and local regs
The 72 just makes your feet tap and you sing along to the music
The 252 was sterile...not even as nice as an 82 / hicap

Don't get me wrong...the 252 is not a bad preamp....it's more about a balanced system...mine was not balanced...even though it ran to 10's of thousands £
A happy system is a balanced one...it's that simple
It's been about 2 years now...and still no desire to change anything! ( But maybe keep improving on what I already own :))
Similar on my side : 32.5 with NJ after market boards (or even better a 72 !) with a pimped HICAP with Avondale TPR4 or something similar is more music and punch while the newest and larger Naim pre are more hi-fi and accuracy but not as lively.

Just on the DR. Do it. I had a 252 and SC. An SC DR came up at a good price. I now have a sublimely better sound from the 252/SC DR (originally into a 250 nonDR, now into a 300 DR).

Just on the DR. Do it. I had a 252 and SC. An SC DR came up at a good price. I now have a sublimely better sound from the 252/SC DR (originally into a 250 nonDR, now into a 300 DR).
It really should be much better though, investment of circa £4K on top of £20k plus of amplification (rough current RRPs).

It’s a bit of a nonsense when you think about it.

It really should be much better though, investment of circa £4K on top of £20k plus of amplification (rough current RRPs).

It’s a bit of a nonsense when you think about it.

Not sure what you mean about nonsense. It costs more to get a better sound. Whether its worth the extra is in the eye, or ear, of the beholder.

Not sure what you mean about nonsense. It costs more to get a better sound. Whether its worth the extra is in the eye, or ear, of the beholder.
Yes, sorry, my point is that it shouldn’t be required for such elevated equipment. This is coming from an ex 252/sc owner. I personally made a decision that it wasn’t worth it & went down a different path so would suggest alternatives are looked at.

+1 for the Newt regulators.

I got Witch Hat to fit two bolt down SNAPS with Newt regulators each providing two outputs to a modified bolt down NAC32 and a NAXO. This is the front end to 3 NAP250s driving Isobariks.

While I am not able comment directly on the improvement in sound as at the same time the whole system was serviced. The 44 year old system after servicing and modifcation sounds great.

advertisement

Back