advertisement

Bang and Olufsen Please Help Identify

Peter McDermott

pfm Member
Hi Everyone,

My neighbour has decided to give me this piece of Bang and Olufsen kit, which is a music centre. It works as he played me the record you can see sitting on the turntable platter.

I said to him that I would seek to identify the model, so am calling on the expertise of this forum.

Some images:

IMG-20211024-145311.jpg

IMG-20211024-145324.jpg

IMG-20211024-145335.jpg

It does have a lid but the hinges are a bit unreliable so he's taken off for the purpose of the photograph.

Hope you can help.

Peter

Nice neighbour, for free you’ve got to grab it. Be aware the required stylus/cartridge is an mmc3000 I believe and originals can be very pricey. Not sure if anyone is offering an alternative or refurbishing so just be careful:).

As for the speakers there should be a small silver label on the back with the model and serial number on it. If it’s come off just remove the grill and they can be identified by a photograph. It’s worth pulling the grills anyway as some of the earlier bass drivers had rubber surrounds and others had foam surrounds which may well have deteriorated by now but replacements should be available

Last edited:
Nice neighbour, for free you’ve got to grab it. Be aware the required stylus/cartridge is an mmc3000 I believe and originals can be very pricey. Not sure if anyone is offering an alternative or refurbishing so just be careful:).

For cartridge refurbishments, you have two options that I know of:

- Audio Origin - https://audio-origin.co.uk/cartridge-retipping.html
- Franz-Josef Schulte - https://www.tonabnehmerservice.de/en/Retipping-of-MM-and-MC-cartridges/

And there is a third in the form of Sound Smith I suppose.

B&O did some really nice looking kit back then.
I've heard they are difficult to refurb if needed.

No they aren’t I can tell you that!
That is a myth.
They need some care but the service manuals are gems.
Plus they don’t use unobtainium parts. I often use what’s in my drawers.
Belts, idlers are all available too. As well as used parts should you need a motor for instance.

No they aren’t I can tell you that!
That is a myth.
They need some care but the service manuals are gems.
Plus they don’t use unobtainium parts. I often use what’s in my drawers.
Belts, idlers are all available too. As well as used parts should you need a motor for instance.

No, no you’re quite wrong. Very difficult to service, made of unobtanium and cantfindium, sealed for life gearboxes and all that. They’re also full of dangerous stuff like asbestos, dynamite, mercury and acid.

Best thing to do if you have any B&O is to send it to an authorised person for disposal. Obviously I’d be more than happy to help with this and wouldn’t even charge you…

No, no you’re quite wrong. Very difficult to service, made of unobtanium and cantfindium, sealed for life gearboxes and all that. They’re also full of dangerous stuff like asbestos, dynamite, mercury and acid.

Best thing to do if you have any B&O is to send it to an authorised person for disposal. Obviously I’d be more than happy to help with this and wouldn’t even charge you…

Truly selfless, bravo.

Thanks Beobloke, I've called the emergency services

Looks like the combined beolab 1700 tuner and beomaster amp that were available separately
My first amp and tuner from mid 70s

advertisement

Back