advertisement

To DR or not to DR (Supercap)

tonyx

pfm Member
I have been offered a second hand 252/SC by a dealer which he expects to receive on P/X shortly. He will get a full service of both units done by Naim, and include it in the price. The units are 2009.
Should I get the DR upgrade done at the same time for an extra £1600? It seems like a lot and as I expect an upgrade anyway I am not sure. What would you do?

Seems a lot of cash, are you sure the dealer isn’t in a roundabout way getting you to pay for the servicing?

I’d check what the upgrades cost, ask on the Naim forum.

It may be correct but I’d still check.

Hi @tonyx -- I'd probably get the DR Supercap, albeit after some hemming and hawing. Seems like the price is right. To distill down my reading of opinions from the Naim forum and elsewhere, DR'ing the power supplies has been well-received. The DR amps have been largely positive (especially on the Naim forum), but not universally so. Some have said the upgrade yields a colder, more sterile sound. I've been underwhelmed by the DR amps I've heard, but it's hard to make a firm conclusion without having said amp in my own system.

Hope this is helpful!

Joe

I'd go the other way!
I had a 252 and non dr SC

It sounded great..and I was happy....but as usual with naim upgraditus... I wanted more

So I traded the SC for a serviced ( and dr) SC without audition.. because it was better ... right?

It completely spoiled the magic of the 252 ...and I ended up selling them both (as I couldn't believe / get my head around) the new power supply making things worse ( its only hind sight that lets me accept it now)

It all worked out for the best...as I went on a completely different path and ended up much happier...so all's well etc

Not saying your experience will be the same...BUT get a LONG audition from your dealer of a dr SC before committing!!!!

Not a Naim Preamp, but I have had my power amp serviced and chose to have it DR'ed at the same time, it did improve the sound from the amp which was lacking clarity. Of course, because I had both the service and DR carried out at the same time I can't say which made the greater difference, sorry.

It left me thinking, why do these amps go 'off form' so much and so readily? Whilst I am an owner I increasingly struggle to justify the expense of Naim stuff.

Can't comment for the 250, but was very happy with the DR and service done on my 552 and 500. Any coldness was just when new and soon disappeared with burn-in. The DR-ing had no adverse effect on the delicacy for which the 500 is admired....

Interesting views, thank you. I am still not sure, and not surprised that there are different opinions. I had look at what Avondale charge for their DR upgrade, its £907 and you have to fit it yourself. At that number I think it makes no sense at all.
Thinking about this question I can convince myself no and a while later be equally convinced yes. I wish I could not afford it.
I don't know when the units will be available because the customer I am waiting on is waiting for a 552 which has already been on order for weeks.

I would go the whole hog and DR the SC especially if it needs a service, there's always that "what if" niggle if you didn't DR.

The DR for me has more impact in their PSUs then the amps.

You could always try the Teddy version & see if that suits. Naim is eye wateringly expensive new but there are generally good options 2nd hand. I do think there are better alternatives now but that is just my view.

Years ago I ran 2xNAP250 in active SL2s. I bought a second hand 252 and SC for a bargain price. The upgrade to DR was something I mulled over for quite a while but it made such a difference that I would have no hesitation in recommending that the OP do the upgrade when the amp and PS are being serviced. All my Naim kit is gone now but I had great fun with it for many years.

Try talking With Hat about the Dragon NEWT upgrade for the Supercap. To quote JJ, their designer: "The Dragon Newts do have a "not there" quality to them" ... "every other regulator adds or subtracts something from the sound".

I have some on my system and they're remarkably quiet and just let the music flood out.

Try talking With Hat about the Dragon NEWT upgrade for the Supercap. To quote JJ, their designer: "The Dragon Newts do have a "not there" quality to them" ... "every other regulator adds or subtracts something from the sound".

I have some on my system and they're remarkably quiet and just let the music flood out.

That’s Witch Hat ;)

https://witchhatservicing.co.uk/

More interesting views, thank you so much.
The Teddy option is not available to me- I take both Naim units newly serviced for a good price or he sells them elsewhere. I got into this agony when I let slip to the dealer that I was thinking of a used 252 (I have been an unsuccessful bidder on ebay) and Teddy power supply.
As for Witch Hat, they serviced my existing stuff (250 and HC) and they are good. But I don't like their annoying emails, and the website is now terribly devoid of info as far as I can see. I bought a Witch Hat Hatpin 4x to feed the 250 a few months ago, I don't think it made any difference at all. It looks nicer than my existing very old Naim cable, thats for sure. But its out of sight. Maybe my system is not transparent enough, will be testing again when I get the 252.

Yes, I was hopiing to avoid that because the thread may go off in directions. System is Roksan Xerxes 20+/SMEiV/Lyra Delos into IFi Phone3 black label, into Nac32.5 with full set of RSL boards, HC, CB 250, Proac Response D2R. And some other stuff for digital.

Yes, I thought someone would say that but here is the thing. I get the 252/SC at a price at which I can sell it on for no loss if I dont like it. I have heard a 252/SC and judged it a bit better. I could be wrong though. I get an extra input. I get a remote. The RSL boards are good, I thought better than a 200 which I have heard. Has anyone actually swapped out a 252/SC for an upgrade to a 32.5/RSL? Probably not. Someone on here may prove me wrong.

advertisement

Back