advertisement

Turntable upgrade. Rega P3 to P6 or to Origin Live Aurora/Silver tonearm?

Peter McDermott

pfm Member
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a Rega P3 bought in November 2019 with the Elys 2 cartridge fitted.

I was thinking about changing that cartridge to the Exact as I've heard good things about it here.

That led me to considering the P6 with Exact fitted.

This, in turn, led me to think about trying something entirely different so had a look around and came across the Origin Live turntables.

First question do people consider that there is a big enough difference between the P3 and P6 to warrant that upgrade path?

I currently have a Marantz Ruby KI and use the phono stage in that with the P3 which works for me.

Would probably consider doing the same with the P6. Views on this appreciated.

I like the notion of buying another UK-produced turntable so that is one of the reasons Origin Live appeals. I like their website and what comes across on it regarding the company's ethos. I've seen quite a lot of comments on here that suggest their stuff is good too.

With the Origin Live I'm not sure if the Marantz will be the best choice for phono stage duties. I also see that I may have to consider more expensive cartridges bringing the cost up to and a little beyond the £3k mark.

I've been looking at MM cartridges in the range of £300 to £800 and phono stages £350 to £450

I'm not sure how easy the Origin Live turntable are to set up. The deck would sit on my current hifi cabinet which houses records below (Ikea).

So any comments from those who have owned or currently own Origin Live turntables appreciated.

I have a broad range of records taking in jazz, pop/rock and classical. Current speakers are Dali Rubicon 6.

First question do people consider that there is a big enough difference between the P3 and P6 to warrant that upgrade path?
I do. I have both. The P6 is superior even if you add a Tangospinner subplatter and a Neo to the P3. Also, the Exact absolutely shines in the P6, very revealing midrange, mush more so than in the P3. May get Ania Pro though.....
Personally I think the OL t/ts look a bit messy, but critics love em.

I do. I have both. The P6 is superior even if you add a Tangospinner subplatter and a Neo to the P3. Also, the Exact absolutely shines in the P6, very revealing midrange, mush more so than in the P3. May get Ania Pro though.....

Thanks Ptah, that's very helpful.

What phono stage do you use with your P6?

I don't get spending serious money bolting fancy bits to a Planer3. No matter what you do it's still just a Planer3 and the money you've spent could've bought you a much better turntable with proper potential like an LP12. A deck which will hold its value, unlike a modded Rega.

No, it will not.
Oh yes it will , just built one for a customer RP3 + Neo PSU + Funk FXR + funk bits + AT art9
FUNK FIRM RAGE 1 UPGRADE KIT REVIEW. A 3-PIECE KIT TO IMPROVE YOUR REGA RP3 OR PLANAR 3 TURNTABLE - YouTube

maxresdefault.jpg

Had a look at the Vertere DG 1 but it might be a bit too costly.

The Origin Live deck with arm is £2,190, to that needs suitable cartridge (of course) and then possible phono stage. I think I can do that for circa £3k.

The Vertere is £2949 at HiFi Gear which is probably too steep for me as a starting price without suitable cartridge and phono stage.

Does look good which is a consideration for me. It goes without saying that I've not heard either deck and I notice that dealers for the Vertere are some distance from me in North Wales (true too of the Origin Live but they offer buy direct and dealer options).

I went from a P3 with Elys 2 (bought in 2005) to a P6 with Ania, which I bought second-hand in mint condition for under £1K, and the difference was very obvious. If you are spending £3K then you are in P8 territory.

I went from a P3 with Elys 2 (bought in 2005) to a P6 with Ania, which I bought second-hand in mint condition for under £1K, and the difference was very obvious. If you are spending £3K then you are in P8 territory.

Thanks Darkagessound. And I'm not sure if I want to go to that territory (£3k that is). I'm considering it, but if the P6 offers me a big improvement then perhaps that's a better route?

Bump: opinions sought.

Rega P3 to P6?

Or, P3 to Origin Live?

Or?

P6 anyday over P3
But P8 will get you there, up near the best (Vertere)

Not sure about OL decks, but they do some nice tonearms.
Maybe consider a dedicated phonostage but I have zero experience with your Marantz, something like P8/Aethos/Aria will be a safe solution.

A dedicated rack would most likely provide an upgrade rather than having kit direct on Ikea.

P6 anyday over P3
But P8 will get you there, up near the best (Vertere)

Not sure about OL decks, but they do some nice tonearms.
Maybe consider a dedicated phonostage but I have zero experience with your Marantz, something like P8/Aethos/Aria will be a safe solution.

A dedicated rack would most likely provide an upgrade rather than having kit direct on Ikea.

Hi PerF, thanks for the response.

So far I'm leaning to sticking with Rega based on what's been said. I have a couple of Rega dealers nearby including the one where I bought the P3 so that does help too.

Oh yes it will..

What is this, panto season?

Sticking a better arm and funny feet on an old Planar3 might well make the deck sound better but it is not going to sound like a P10. Even if the Funk arm is as good as an RB3000, and let's say for argument sake that it is, you're still lacking the two real defining parts on the P10, the ridiculously light plinth and the ridiculously expensive ceramic platter. And the very sophisticated PSU and matched motor. There is no way you are reducing colouration to P10 levels with a big slab of MDF, glass platter and a plastic sub-chassis.

Loads of people mod the heck out of the good old Planar3 but to a man they all admit that when they bought a fundamentally better turntable it was better than their modded deck. And I'm certainly not taking the word of a guy selling the mods that this isn't the case.

What is this, panto season?

Sticking a better arm and funny feet on an old Planar3 might well make the deck sound better but it is not going to sound like a P10. Even if the Funk arm is as good as an RB3000, and let's say for argument sake that it is, you're still lacking the two real defining parts on the P10, the ridiculously light plinth and the ridiculously expensive ceramic platter. And the very sophisticated PSU and matched motor. There is no way you are reducing colouration to P10 levels with a big slab of MDF, glass platter and a plastic sub-chassis.

Loads of people mod the heck out of the good old Planar3 but to a man they all admit that when they bought a fundamentally better turntable it was better than their modded deck. And I'm certainly not taking the word of a guy selling the mods that this isn't the case.

I modded a Planar 25 with Technoweight, Incognito rewire and a Heed PS and certainly lifted it above my CDS3/XPS2 that it wasn't funny. I doubt it was like a modern P10 but very good for sure. P3s are made to a price but the design philosophy does support significant uplift. It's possibly better just to buy the higher Rega model though...

advertisement

Back