advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Brexit positives today for the water companies and their shareholders, and our now sovereign parliament voted to scupper the Environment Bill Lord's amendment to retain and enforce the EU's ban on discharging raw sewage into rivers and the sea. Now water companies can pretty much do as they like...trebles all round!!!!
https://www.indy100.com/politics/tory-vote-dump-sewage-sea-b1944643
https://www.politics.co.uk/news-in-...clamp-down-on-sewage-dumping-water-companies/
https://nation.cymru/news/tory-mp-w...-goes-viral-after-branding-criticism-hateful/
Feargal Sharkey on R4 this morning interviewed extremely well, and didn't put up with any of the BBC balance-bulshit, came over as calm, knowledgeable and articulate. He was too polite to mention the numerous pre brexit assurances that environmental standards would not be eroded, indeed would be higher...but I will.

Ha! EU membership has never served as a bar to deceit, tax-avoidance and corruption. In fact the course of the EU has entailed considerable amounts of all three.
Perhaps, up to a point. Trouble is, when the EU actually made moves to legislate curbing this to some degree, those in the UK who would lose by it colluded to make sure the populace voted the right way in a vote they didn't want, and so we left - poorer, but no wiser it seems - so as not to be subject to it.

There’s also #StoolBritannia

tyImX8z.jpg

Ha! EU membership has never served as a bar to deceit, tax-avoidance and corruption. In fact the course of the EU has entailed considerable amounts of all three.

So because the EU planned to bring in laws re tax evasion, and some disaster capitalists thought they could get wealthy on the back of it, and of course the doggy breathed racism that Farage brought to the party were worthy ideals to hobble ourselves with?

I like the way proposed EU tax-evasion laws become the narrative by which we left the EU. Its bollocks, of course, but another useful bunny hole in which to kick the conversation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/50168357.amp

I must admit that if I found my moral compass aligned with the likes of Farage and the Wetherspoons boss (isn’t hubris a wonderful thing?) I’d have to give myself a good talking to. I wouldn’t be displaying ‘moral foundations’ on the internet.

I like the way proposed EU tax-evasion laws become the narrative by which we left the EU. Its bollocks, of course, but another useful bunny hole in which to kick the conversation.

So nothing to say on the pollution then, ET?

Meanwhile the article you link to - spot the holes.

"While the UK is still in the EU, the EU could decide that the way the UK has implemented Atad is not consistent with the directive, but any changes would be unlikely to be huge, experts say.

So it's hard to find anything happening in January 2020 to these rules that looks significant enough to influence the speed at which some people might want to leave the EU.

The directive was produced in response to recommendations from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), and the UK will remain a member of that group after Brexit.

It should be noted that leaving the EU will mean future governments could remove any of these laws that they could get a majority for, but there has been no suggestion that the current government plans to do so."

The first part in bold is an enormous leap of faith, this is a PM who didn't mind unlawfully suspending a democratic process. The second part is just plain funny and undermines the whole article.

The contention that so much effort and funding was put into a Leave vote so that nothing would be changed is not remotely credible.

One this is the BBC so some truth may just possibly be present, and no omissions, of course.
Two, "It should be noted that leaving the EU will mean future governments could remove any of these laws that they could get a majority for, but there has been no suggestion that the current government plans to do so".
Isn't this startlingly like the sort of thing they were saying about environmental standards?
Three, given the UK's pathetic record on aiding tax avoidance/ failing to extract tax from multi nationals, or anyone big, for that matter, our laissez faire attitude would have rightly come under hostile scrutiny from the EU had we remained members.

Last edited:
The EU has shown itself time and again to be unreformable. The Treaties enshrine only ever closer union. There is no facility for reform written into them, and meaningful reform would require revisiting the Treaties, and would be subject to national referenda. In effect, to do so would bring about the collapse of the EU. Do you for one moment imagine that the EU institutions would sanction their own destruction?
Oh well in that case, we did precisely the right thing in removing ourselves from any influence whatsoever. After all, it's a tiny institution many thousands of miles away from our shores.

Worth digging this back up from pampered from birth multi-millionaire Brexit ultra Jacob Rees Mogg: “regulations that were “good enough for India” could be good enough for the UK – arguing that the UK could go “a very long way” to rolling back high EU standards.” (Independent).

As ever Brexit means Brexit.

So nothing to say on the pollution then, ET?

Meanwhile the article you link to - spot the holes.

"While the UK is still in the EU, the EU could decide that the way the UK has implemented Atad is not consistent with the directive, but any changes would be unlikely to be huge, experts say.

So it's hard to find anything happening in January 2020 to these rules that looks significant enough to influence the speed at which some people might want to leave the EU.

The directive was produced in response to recommendations from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), and the UK will remain a member of that group after Brexit.

It should be noted that leaving the EU will mean future governments could remove any of these laws that they could get a majority for, but there has been no suggestion that the current government plans to do so."

The first part in bold is an enormous leap of faith, this is a PM who didn't mind unlawfully suspending a democratic process. The second part is just plain funny and undermines the whole article.

The contention that so much effort and funding was put into a Leave vote so that nothing would be changed is not remotely credible.

Yes, thank you, Steve, I can read and oddly enough I used that extraordinary skill and did so before I posted the link.

Yes, I'm fully aware that there are get-outs. One of the predominant reasons behind our vote to leave the EU was to restore the ability to make our own laws, and to appoint and sanction the people responsible for doing so.

I wouldn't trust the EU with anti-tax avoidance initiatives for one second. The last President of the EU Commission, one Jean-Claude Juncker, spend many years as PM of Luxembourg, where it would not be over-egging it excessively to say that he presided over the creation of an entire economy built on tax avoidance.

Anyway, as I said, a bunny hole beyond which there lies an extensive warren, and I've already been drawn down it.

Yes, thank you, Steve, I can read and oddly enough I used that extraordinary skill and did so before I posted the link.

Yes, I'm fully aware that there are get-outs. One of the predominant reasons behind our vote to leave the EU was to restore the ability to make our own laws, and to appoint and sanction the people responsible for doing so.

I wouldn't trust the EU with anti-tax avoidance initiatives for one second. The last President of the EU Commission, one Jean-Claude Juncker, spend many years as PM of Luxembourg, where it would not be over-egging it excessively to say that he presided over the creation of an entire economy built on tax avoidance.

Anyway, as I said, a bunny hole beyond which there lies an extensive warren, and I've already been drawn down it.

Then recognise de-regulation for what it is and who it's for. The rabbit holes are yours.

Then recognise de-regulation for what it is and who it's for. The rabbit holes are yours.

You accused me of blaming the EU for something the other day when I hadn't blamed the EU for anything. When I asked you what it was, you performed a vanishing act.

Can you remember what it was?

You accused me of blaming the EU for something the other day when I hadn't blamed the EU for anything. When I asked you what it was, you performed a vanishing act.

Can you remember what it was?

I'm not your memory prompt, I can assure you I haven't ignored any of your questions.

I know that businesses have already gone under, livelihoods been damaged and sometimes destroyed, and, as documented on this thread earlier this year, people have despaired and taken their own lives. As a leave voter, that sits heavily on my conscience.

EU policies have directly destroyed entire economies, businesses, livelihoods and lives, and continue to do so, both within and far beyond the shores of Europe. EU agricultural and fisheries policies constitute one of the most environmentally destructive forces on earth. The UK, as a member, directly and enthusiastically contributed to and influenced many of those policies, and the loss of the UK to some extent actually serves to mitigate those negative effects.
So which is it to be? You got it right or you got it wrong? Oh, I remember. Ask you in 20 years or some-such.

Big Brexit positives today for the water companies and their shareholders, and our now sovereign parliament voted to scupper the Environment Bill Lord's amendment to retain and enforce the EU's ban on discharging raw sewage into rivers and the sea. Now water companies can pretty much do as they like...trebles all round!!!!
https://www.indy100.com/politics/tory-vote-dump-sewage-sea-b1944643
https://www.politics.co.uk/news-in-...clamp-down-on-sewage-dumping-water-companies/
https://nation.cymru/news/tory-mp-w...-goes-viral-after-branding-criticism-hateful/
Feargal Sharkey on R4 this morning interviewed extremely well, and didn't put up with any of the BBC balance-bulshit, came over as calm, knowledgeable and articulate. He was too polite to mention the numerous pre brexit assurances that environmental standards would not be eroded, indeed would be higher...but I will.

Well the water company i get my inaccurate bill from every year only makes £1.8 billion a year, £500,000,000 a year profit.

The vote came seven weeks after wastewater plants were given permission by the government to dispose of sewage not fully treated because of a shortage of chemicals resulting from a lack of HGV drivers.

Looks like I've got a massive bill coming for importing parts from Europe at the end this year too (if they ever arrive), another lovely Brexit bonus!

Last edited:
The EU has shown itself time and again to be unreformable. The Treaties enshrine only ever closer union. There is no facility for reform written into them, and meaningful reform would require revisiting the Treaties, and would be subject to national referenda. In effect, to do so would bring about the collapse of the EU. Do you for one moment imagine that the EU institutions would sanction their own destruction?

As for racism, it is rife within EU member countries, very often openly so.
The EU reforms at regular intervals. It’s just that you don’t like any of its reforms. But no worries, the UK has left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back