advertisement

Which albums to you go back to most often?

Everybody knows this nowhere
Highway to Hell
Rainbow in Curved Air
Djangologie 5 1937
The Freewheelin'

Rem\new adventures in hifi the last real hurrah before bill Berry left. Most eclectic album they made.
Talk talk/colour of spring Or any talk talk album, such a sad early loss.
Beatles/white album. Had to be this or ‘help’
Miles Davis/ sketches of Spain. No other record is this evocative, wow. I can smell the olive groves.
Judy Tzuke/welcome to the cruise Tugs at my heart, makes me cry. Makes me feel 17 again.

Five albums I repeatedly go back to :-

John Martyn - One World
Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Joni Mitchell - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns
Free - Fire & Water

Bubbling under :-

Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
The Blue Nile - Hats
The Cure - Seventeen Seconds
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden is delightful. Very dreamy and ethereal. Love it.

Kate Bush - This Sensual World - more raw than HoL and the KB album I find most rewarding to listen to either in detail or as background accompaniment. It also includes This Woman's Work, one of the finest songs ever written.

U2 - Joshua Tree - yes I know everyone else says they hate it, but it's still, for me, the best album U2 have made and one of the best albums ever made. A band so in sync with the time and themselves that there is not a single wasted note on it.
Funny, I’ve had The Sensual World CD for 30 years and never managed to listen to it. I didn’t like what Ms Bush’s voice had become. HOL not much better to these ears. Both disappointing albums!
I listen to all her other albums very often with great pleasure.

The Joshua Tree: nice songs but a very badly recorded CD, almost unlistenable.

The Colour of Spring is played regularly.

Propaganda, A Secret Wish.

Probably these are the ones I keep going back to most on my turntable at least (not most played on streaming though)

Van Morrison: Astral Weeks
Blue Nile: Walk Across the Rooftops
Grace Jones: Nightclubbing
Nick Drake: Pink Moon
John Martyn: Solid Air
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds: Boatman's Call

Mostly fairly mellow and well produced. As I said, streaming is much more eclectic and not really album focused.....

Well, I thought about putting down my five 'favourite albums' here along with some witty and insightful comments on why everyone should agree with my taste. But I remembered my scientific training and decided to get some objective data. A quick look at the 'most played' stats on my music server, reveals the five albums that I have actually played the most often:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours. If I am suffering from sciatic or other back pain, I like to do some Pilates with this in the background. Can I get right through 'The Chain' on some difficult back stretches? I must have been quite stiff recently to be playing this so much!

Richard Thompson - Henry the Human Fly. While this is a great album, but at the moment I'm replaying it a lot because I'm trying to learn the guitar part on one of the songs. And its difficult, and I'm very slow...

Mozart Concerto for for Flute and Harp, Aurele Nicolet. Used as background music to breakout sessions when I'm running online training workshops - fits neatly into a 10 minute space.

Jacqueline Du Pre - Recital. An old LP that I digitised for some musician friends and this reminds me of them.

Dinosaur Songs - Maria Bostick. Children songs about Dinosaurs sung in Boogie-Woogie and Doo-Wop style. Infuriatingly catchy. Slightly embarrassing to see this quite so high on the list as my children have long since grown-up. I must have been making copies for nieces/nephews...

So who else is brave enough to actually list their 'five most played'?

Well, I thought about putting down my five 'favourite albums' here along with some witty and insightful comments on why everyone should agree with my taste. But I remembered my scientific training and decided to get some objective data. A quick look at the 'most played' stats on my music server, reveals the five albums that I have actually played the most often:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours. If I am suffering from sciatic or other back pain, I like to do some Pilates with this in the background. Can I get right through 'The Chain' on some difficult back stretches? I must have been quite stiff recently to be playing this so much!

Richard Thompson - Henry the Human Fly. While this is a great album, but at the moment I'm replaying it a lot because I'm trying to learn the guitar part on one of the songs. And its difficult, and I'm very slow...

Mozart Concerto for for Flute and Harp, Aurele Nicolet. Used as background music to breakout sessions when I'm running online training workshops - fits neatly into a 10 minute space.

Jacqueline Du Pre - Recital. An old LP that I digitised for some musician friends and this reminds me of them.

Dinosaur Songs - Maria Bostick. Children songs about Dinosaurs sung in Boogie-Woogie and Doo-Wop style. Infuriatingly catchy. Slightly embarrassing to see this quite so high on the list as my children have long since grown-up. I must have been making copies for nieces/nephews...

I thought that was the OP’s purpose of the thread.

According to Roon, my most played (digital) albums of all time are:

YXp8NGk.png

RNSoo7V.png

B6sxbpx.png

cQqgMLE.png

FSjhHRx.png

If we included vinyl in the ranking, it might be quite a different set.

Well, I thought about putting down my five 'favourite albums' here along with some witty and insightful comments on why everyone should agree with my taste.
[...]

I already have.

They're all on vinyl, so I can't use any stats, it's just that they always end up at the front of the queue. I probably play more CDs than LPs, but they're more of a mixture of classical, jazz and rock, and there's fewer that get repeated plays (apart from the HMHB albums of course, but I go on about them too much as it is).

That looks a nice selection, I must have a listen to some of them.

The lute music is lovely, especially if you have a low listening fatigue system.

Try the first track from the Sun Kil Moon album, quite amusing lyrics. Don’t think I’ve played it in over a year but it’s still in the top 5 as I played it non-stop when it came out.

I already have.

They're all on vinyl, so I can't use any stats, it's just that they always end up at the front of the queue. I probably play more CDs than LPs, but they're more of a mixture of classical, jazz and rock, and there's fewer that get repeated plays (apart from the HMHB albums of course, but I go on about them too much as it is).
What was interesting to me is that the albums that I thought I played the most, weren't the ones that I actually played according to the server. I have a somewhat smaller vinyl collection and I'll have to think about which albums I actually play the most from them.

The Doors - The Doors & LA Woman
Richard Hawley - Coles Corner
Paul Weller - At The BBC
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
Ray Lamontagne - Monovision & God Willing The Creek Don't Rise (with the Pariah Dogs)

Cheers BB

Night Club - Patricia Barber
Portrait in Jazz - Bill Evans
Halfbreed - Keef Hartley
To the limits - Joan Armatrading
Kamakiriad - Donald Fagen
2nd Crusade - Crusaders

Boring sod

I keep going back to these (Aged 12 - 16 1970 - 74)

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Roxy Music - First
Steely Dan - Can’t Buy a Thrill
Frank Zappa - Overnite Sensation
Van Morrison - It’s Too Late to Stop Now.

advertisement

Back