advertisement

Metal Box

tobermory

pfm Member
Late comer to this, been playing it on Spotify the past year or two, have the LP too. It's such a grower, i didn't 'get it' for months. Boy, i have I got it now. Stupendous, start to finish. Poptones is just other-worldly.

I was a bit too young at the time (13 in 1980), it must have sounded like nothing else back then, it still does to me now 40 yrs later. How did he go from NMTB to this so quickly?

It was and still is an incredible piece of work. And an amazing piece of art although that lip on the tin can be a pain when getting the records out.

It's one I remember mates being heavily into and getting the original issue packaging (inspired marketing) but it passed me by. Even now I don't think I've listened to it, being a little stand-offish towards their output.

@graystoke4 it's the second album by PIL.

My big brother bought me the original for my 20th back in '79 when it came out. The metal "box" that it came in is a bit coroded but the records inside are still in good condition.
I purchased Plastic Box a good few years ago, basically Metal box but with a load of other PIL stuff on it.

36986419250_492b06f61d_b.jpg

Needs to be appropriately rusty, obvs.

Mine is rusty too. PiL's first single, the first three LPs and the live Paris au Printemps ("I'm going to walk off this f*cking stage if you keep spitting, DOG") are all still jaw dropping.

It was and still is an incredible piece of work. And an amazing piece of art although that lip on the tin can be a pain when getting the records out.
Put the records into Nagaoaka 102 inner sleeves. One side of the sleeve is circular and co conforms to the tin but the top of the sleeve is flat. You need to fold it to fit it into the tine. The folded triangular tabs make great handles for getting the records out of the tin without any hassle at all.

These are the lads: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0779R4YG1/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Put the records into Nagaoaka 102 inner sleeves. One side of the sleeve is circular and co conforms to the tin but the top of the sleeve is flat. You need to fold it to fit it into the tine. The folded triangular tabs make great handles for getting the records out of the tin without any hassle at all.

These are the lads: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0779R4YG1/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Thanks. Probably 40 years too late though!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The day when it was proven beyond debate that I was uncool happened in 1979.

I was in a Virgin record store in N London and had both Metal Box and Tusk in my hands but only money for 1 of them. I walked out with Tusk.

By the time I'd realised the error of my ways Metal Box was sold out and I had to settle for a copy of Second Edition.

The shame :oops:

The day when it was proven beyond debate that I was uncool happened in 1979.

I was in a Virgin record store in N London and had both Metal Box and Tusk in my hands but only money for 1 of them. I walked out with Tusk.

By the time I'd realised the error of my ways Metal Box was sold out and I had to settle for a copy of Second Edition.

The shame :oops:

A similar story. I was in the old Virgin Megastore on Tottenham Court Road, my older brother had taken me to buy a copy of Gary Numan's Pleasure Principle, but the siren call of the multiple copies of Metal Box sitting in the racks was powerful. I can't remember the price, but it was way beyond my reach. I was only 13 and pocket money didn't stretch that far. It barely stretched to The Pleasure Principle, but that's what I walked out with in the end. Not a disastrous result, and I eventually picked up a second hand copy of Metal Box.

On that note, anybody tempted by this?

CS850100-01A-MED.jpg

I’m interested to hear it. CD preorder is very expensive (Amazon), so I’m certainly not diving in early.

PS Much of PIL’s genius was in the guitar IMO, so I’m curious what happens there.

The couple of times I've seen Wobble in recent years, he's done some excellent versions of tracks off Metal Box, so I'm definitely curious about the dub version.

advertisement

Back