advertisement

Has anyone paid more than the asking price?

I don’t pay more, but I tend not to haggle either. If I like the item and price I buy, if not I walk away.

agreed

i don't know if have Craigslist over there in the UK (or an equivalent), but the low ballers are maddening. I put up my asking price and didn't say "negotiable". Without fail, every person low balls. One guy drove from Massachusetts to my home in Maryland....an 8 hour drive!...and then said "hey I drove all this way, will you do it for x amount of dollars less?"

Oh you get them everywhere, a guy drove from Fermanagh, perhaps 3 hours away to pick up a little Honda motored Cement mixer, price agreed on the phone call earlier, when he arrives he offered £20 less, when told no he rants and raves and shouts insults and walks away, hilarious behaviour just cost himself the best part of a day and his fuel, total twat.

Oh you get them everywhere, a guy drove from Fermanagh, perhaps 3 hours away to pick up a little Honda motored Cement mixer, price agreed on the phone call earlier, when he arrives he offered £20 less, when told no he rants and raves and shouts insults and walks away, hilarious behaviour just cost himself the best part of a day and his fuel, total twat.

I used to get that sort of behaviour back in pre-internet selling days, when I advertised a lot of stuff in the local rag. People seemed to assume it was taken as read that you would accept an offer on a fixed price. Maddening. :mad:

Never offered more than the asking price, never haggled either. I could/should have done so when buying my Exposure amps many years ago; they were the last pair in the shop and were in opened boxes so probably ex-dem. But I didn’t.

I think many more items are ambitiously priced than over priced.
I sold a non working Meridian CD player on here a few years ago for £50, I was contacted within minutes of the post and about an hour later a buyer had arrived. I got lots of other inquiries, I suppose that I had priced it too low, but no one offered more. Anyway I was happy, the buyer was happy. No problem.
On the other hand I tried to sell a non working Sumiko BPS phono cartridge which could be traded in I think for a discount on a new cart, for £10 and I got chased by someone wanting it for £5. He followed it up more than once. Fair enough but it annoyed me and the cartridge is still upstairs.
Full disclosure, I am prepared to haggle if I am not happy with a price.

Tony

Once paid more for a set of binoculars. The lenses were totally covered in, well lets say they needed a good clean.

absolutely perfect but the seller thought they were damaged, absolute bargain even with the additional

I generally buy second hand. Usually through EBay. Invariably prices are on the high side so I look for ‘Make an offer’ and offer what I believe is the more realistic price. We generally meet in the middle. I’ve made some good deals.

If an item is priced very low, it’s quite likely a scam. If you know or can trust the seller so you know it’s not a scam, then perhaps you’d respect them enough to play fair with them. If it’s slightly underpriced, I’d assume the seller wants a quick sale, but if it’s greatly underpriced, and I knew it, I’d feel obliged to point it out and make a better offer. Unless the seller is an arse, obvs.

Never paid more here, though I do think it's a commendably honest thing to do. That said it's so easy to research a fair price these days, I don't consider it my job to do the work for the seller if they haven't made the effort. I will haggle but I won't make silly low offers that would risk insulting the seller. I just pass by things that are obviously overpriced.

I don’t pay more, but I tend not to haggle either. If I like the item and price I buy, if not I walk away.

This. Just bought something at the asking as it was fair and the seller has invested much time and skill in restoring it. Turned out to be one of the nicest transactions in years, lovey chap. And I ended up with
a lovely pair of tl12s.
Always best to conduct yourself with fairness I believe.

Generally not, although I’ve always been honest and told people that the item is a crazy bargain (if it is)… I’ve also sold a fair bit of stuff for a good chunk below the going rate… only time I’ve been offered more is when I’ve already agreed a sale with someone else (I’d never go back on a deal). I’ve been lowballed on already very cheap items a few times!

It totally depends. I once sold a two-button LP12 to a guy and when he came to pay I reduced the price because he was a decent guy. I bought a stack of bike parts and gave the seller more than he was asking because he'd undervalued what he was selling.

But I don't like chancers. They just piss you off. I remember my son selling a smoke machine to a guy who 'accidentally' was short when he came to pay and didn't have his cashline cards with him. My son took it but I would've told him to walk. I don't mind people who haggle fairly but people who are sneaky I can't stand.

It happens all the time on Ebay, right? ...A seller may post the full price he wants and someone may actually get it for that price or may pay more for it if others get involved.

I once bought a myford lathe on TM that was owned by the seller's father.
It had been looked after really well and the guy threw in a chest of engineer's tools and dozens of tobacco tins of tools and fixtures.
He looked like a kid at christmas when I flicked him a couple of extra notes.

advertisement

Back