advertisement

Alec Baldwin

But if you use black powder in a film, the whole set would disappear in a cloud of smoke after about three rounds had been discharged.

Cowboy films are hardly models of historical accuracy. Hanging off a horse, firing a Colt 45 one handed? It would blow itself out of your hand and possibly break your arm in the process. Added to which, all this heroic faceoff in the street stuff? Most scores were settled in an alley by someone waiting in the dark.

No one deserves this. My heart goes out to the victim/s of this tragedy but Baldwin will suffer. So traumatising for all.

It's a tragedy for all involved. But if it turns out to be the result of a badly run production then Baldwin as producer surely bears some responsibility.

If someone passes you a firearm and tells you its 'safe' and you point it at someone and fire it, without double checking first, then you are an idiot who deserves jailtime.

Reports this morning that the Assistant Director Dave Halls, who handed the loaded gun to Baldwin, has previous form.

...when Halls did hold safety meetings, they were short and he was dismissive, saying the guns used would be the same as the production always uses, and questioning why they'd have to hold the meetings in the first place.

Halls complained about having a gun "cleared" (inspected by a licensed professional on set, such as an armorer) for a scene where an actress would aim the gun to her own head and pull the trigger.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/24/...ssistant-director-halls-complaints/index.html

If someone passes you a firearm and tells you its 'safe' and you point it at someone and fire it, without double checking first, then you are an idiot who deserves jailtime.

Not if you are handed the gun by the professional who is there specifically to prepare the guns and you are an actor. Besides, the only way he could have checked is to completely unload and reload each round, checking each one.
In any case, I'll bet that someone bungled because they were talking on their cellphone while preparing the gun.

How are you to know, if you are an actor and not a firearms expert? I don't know how to check a prop gun is safe, I doubt many do. That's why film sets employ armourers.

It’s not difficult. A few minutes with the weapon and an expert would be enough.
I get that, and I imagine that people who have been on as many film sets as AB have spent enough time handling firearms to have a reasonable understanding of what's going on, just as I'm not an electrician but I know how an electrical panel works. Guns are generally simple machines after all.. I'm just taking issue with the assertion that it's the actor's responsibility when there's a trained expert on hand. I can't always check an engineer's work in a factory after all. SUre, if it's obviously falling apart with wires hanging out I'll take him to task, but otherwise I have to take him at his word.

Not if you are handed the gun by the professional who is there specifically to prepare the guns and you are an actor. Besides, the only way he could have checked is to completely unload and reload each round, checking each one.
In any case, I'll bet that someone bungled because they were talking on their cellphone while preparing the gun.

Back in the day, when we were handed a weapon (out of an armoury), it would be checked straight away.

Weapons passed between individuals, would always be checked as they were handed over.

If we ever picked up a weapon and unsure of it's state, it would be checked.

Etc.

Someone on this Set, has massively f+cked up, allegedly.

Tony, when you send a pilot up in a chopper or plane do they personally check it out to be sure that it’s airworthy or do they have trust in the engineers that it’s fit for flight?

Ie - there is someone on set whose job it is to be sure the weapon is in fact ready for the scene at hand. It’s not a difficult job and he (or actually a she in this case) deserves the blame. She even expressed worry about her not being ready for the chief firearms role (!) I believe it was her fathers duty previously.

whoever’s job it is to pass the suitable weapon to the actor/actress in a fit state to be used should (imo) take the blame, sorry but the buck has to stop.

I have to disagree with your analogy @Rug Doc any pilot about to go off in a chopper, would carry out pre-flight checks - they certainly would not get in to said chopper/plane whatever and turn the thing on a and fly off. Nor should anyone pick up a weapon and press the trigger without knowing what state it's in.

I have to disagree with your analogy @Rug Doc and pilot about to go off in a chopper, would carry out pre-flight checks - they certainly would not get in to said chopper/plane whatever and turn the thing on a and fly off. Nor should anyone pick up a weapon and press the trigger without knowing what state it's in.

my point is that there is someone on set who’s only job it is to be sure the weapon is ready to use.

Just saw a report on the Italian media, quoting TMZ (?), to the effect that police have found live rounds in or around the set and that members of the crew had been playing around shooting at targets with live ammunition.

Tony, when you send a pilot up in a chopper or plane do they personally check it out to be sure that it’s airworthy or do they have trust in the engineers that it’s fit for flight?

Ie - there is someone on set whose job it is to be sure the weapon is in fact ready for the scene at hand. It’s not a difficult job and he (or actually a she in this case) deserves the blame. She even expressed worry about her not being ready for the chief firearms role (!) I believe it was her fathers duty previously.

whoever’s job it is to pass the suitable weapon to the actor/actress in a fit state to be used should (imo) take the blame, sorry but the buck has to stop.

I drive buses. Before that bus goes out in the morning, it is checked by me. It is checked throughout the day- where practicable- as some Bus Stands have main roads to the right hand side of the bus.

This is on top of Freedom From Defect Inspections, MOT, etc...

If I miss a serious defect on my bus and it is observed by DVSA, then it is on my head. I get the fine and where applicable, points on my licence.

I would be surprised if this tragic incident isn't found to be Alec Baldwin's fault.

*Edited; predictive text and failure to check before posting!*

Last edited:
On a related note, I really don’t like films that feature guns, shooting and killing as part of the plot or as drama-creating devices.

I know what you’re thinking, what about phasers? Well, that’s different, but the best Trek episodes don’t have phasers either.

Joe

advertisement

Back