advertisement

Trashed cartridge. Options?

Mr Magoo

Hello. How are you?
I have just trashed the stylus on my cartridge. My Dynavector 17D3 and about 75% through its lifespan.I can’t fund a replacement (£1200?) for some time, so have to consider cheaper options. I have £300-£400
Option 1. Get the cart rebuilt by Goldring. Minimum charge £300.
Option 2. Replace with a cheaper MC cart and buy a new Dynavector later
Option 3. Replace with a decent MM Cart and buy a new Dynavector later
Option 4. Buy a used MC cartridge

Peter

Poor you Peter.
But..... Obviously..... The rebuild.
You won't be satisfied with a cheaper cartridge and a second hand cartridge carries a fair bit of risk. Maybe £300 for the rebuild and £100 for a MM to keep you going while the DV is away?

I'm with Darren, a cheap cartridge to keep you going, why not put up a wanted ad, and get the DV rebuiilt. Sorry you trashed it, but look on the bright side, you'd had 75% of it's usage ;)

Sorry to hear of your accident, are you sure Goldring can replace a Diamond cantilever? I wouldn't have thought so, anything else and it won't be the same.

Buy something affordable that suits your tonearm and will work with your phonostage to keep you ticking over until you've the funds to get the Dynavector rebuilt/exchanged, but I'd do it as soon as possible, they're not going to get any cheaper, and give John Burns at Pear Audio a call he will be able to give you an accurate exchange price.

That's a sickener. I've just fitted a Hana ML and was extremely careful but it doesn't take much to end its life early. I'd speak to the usual suspects re. repair personally.
As an aside I may have solutions for options 2 and 3; I'll message you.

Dynavector Karat 23RS on ebay for 330 as i recall having had both in the dim and distant past i actually enjoyed the 23 more at least in the context of my system at the time.

Aren't you insured?

Absolutely. Under the audio-visual section of your contents policy there should be adequate cover for accidental damage, regardless of accidental cover on the rest of your contents. Well worth investigating, and I doubt that a claim at this level will prompt higher premiums in future; even so, prob. worth it.

That series of DV is quite unique with very short gemstone cantilever, I’d save it for exchange rather than my usual recommendation of Goldring ( they did my Koetsu)

Last time I checked DV rebuild XX and above, but having a ‘standard’ cantilever they’re a good candidate for Goldring too.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I have to admit that claiming on the house/contents insurance had never even occurred to me. I simply pay the premium each month and that’s about it. It seems the last time we made a claim was about 20 years ago.
I have already messaged Goldring, so I suspect the comments regarding the diamond cantilever will result in that particular option closing. I’ll await their response.
Myles - have written.
Peter

Interesting comments on Pear Audios FAQ about replacement or after market repairs to cartridges.
I’ve checked the Pear Audio website and have noted the comments under FAQ. Shame the rebuilds start just above my cart in the Dyna hierarchy. Thanks John for the pointer.

Peter

Hi Peter,

You don't mention how you managed to trash it, but sorry to hear you have nonetheless.
Something to bear in mind is that many home insurance policies have a clause that will not allow accidental damage claims to things like cartridges, if it happened whilst you were cleaning them.

I had a mishap with a Troika some years ago. During the very few moments that we left him alone, a young child of a friend of mine whipped the felt mat off the deck and caught the cantilever on the way out. My friend (not an audiophile) said, can you still get them down at the newsagents on a little card? There are only about 50p aren't they? When I told him how much it was likely to cost, he really didn't believe me for quite some time.
Fortunately, I had a new for old policy and a note from my dealer explaining the current model in the Linn range and the price. The insurance paid up, thankfully.
Good luck.
Graham.

Have it sorted by expert stylus company , they repaired a linn Krystall I had which was damaged , they replaced the cantilever and tip for I think it was £310 and it came back like new and sounded as it did when I purchased it , I would definitely use them again , fortunately I moved away from linn saving me much money on upgrades and I have a much better sound and put some cash back in my pocket . Yes the Lp12 looked great but It was a delusion that it was better than others out there that are cheaper , I had an awakening thankfully .

advertisement

Back