advertisement

Rack order

Del monaco

Del Monaco
When I spring clean my kit this coming week I want to give due consideration to my rack order.
Starting from the top, where would you place the following:

Thorens Td166 record deck
Rotel RQ 970 BX phono equaliser
Rotel 965BX CD player
Creek Audio T40 fm tuner
Marantz SD 35 cassette deck
Yamaha 803D amplifier

Cheers,
Del

The amp does need to move. I have a separate shelf for the record deck but I made it for the Clearaudio which was much lighter. I have partition walls which complicates matters somewhat.

Record player on top for obvious reasons and then the rest placed in such a way that gives the neatest wiring loom with less crossing of signal and power cables. And taking in practical reasons and ergonomics, so the phonostage at the very bottom as there's no controls , CD player below the record player as easier to insert discs, amp probably in the middle and tuner and tape deck below, of course this depends on what sources gets the most use and if they're manual or RC operation.

deck on a separate shelf.

amp at the top due to heat and ease of access.

Does this amp get hot (is it classD?), I think it would be ok in the middle, if you put your phono on the bottom shelf as per Darren's suggestion, you may think of giving at least one shelf clearance from the amp.

On the homemade welded rack…each on its own shelf
Schiit Lyr2 headphone amp
Linn Wakonda
Rotel RCD-1072 CD player
Rotel RT-940 AX tuner
Linn Linto
Linn Lingo
Linn LK 85 amp, treble
Linn LK 85 amp, bass

Plus…on a Sound Organisation table
LP12, Ittock LV II, Krystal, Karousal, Kore

Plus…on the floor
REL B3
Aktiv Katans on Linn stands

This is your opportunity to experiment. Plenty of advice already from other posters.

My advice is to experiment and see what works best. Don’t be afraid to put items on the floor or on a cabinet or table or whatever you have (if this is possible). You could unknowingly be failing to get the best from your equipment. The only cost is your time and you might find a solution which is an improvement over your current set-up.

turntable on the top, and the rest positioned to allow the best possible cable management. Assuming the rack is open with reasonable space between the shelves I see no reason not to put the amp on the bottom. I'd probably go (from the top down) turntable, phono stage, CD player, tuner, cassette, amp.

Mine goes turntable top, then CDP, then amp with the bottom shelf taken up with a mains block. The amp is entirely remote-controlled so doesn’t need easy access. As for cables, I just shove ‘em down the back out of sight, but that’s probably not best practice.

CDP
Preamp/PS
DAC/Streamer
Monoblocks & power amplifier

I’ve had to put my turntable and records away so now have a small stand.
I’m 52, it’s the first time in over 40 years I have no ability to play a record.

I think some of you would have an aneurysm if you saw behind my rack.
Our pet hedgehog will poo behind my rack if unsupervised. But she's so cute its hard to be cross with her. Easier to get a floor wipe.......

Our pet hedgehog will poo behind my rack if unsupervised. But she's so cute its hard to be cross with her. Easier to get a floor wipe.......
You could use her as a cable lifter…surprised you’ve not thought of that yet..natural, eco friendly and discrete if you pick up some flat ones from the road.

You could use her as a cable lifter…surprised you’ve not thought of that yet..natural, eco friendly and discrete if you pick up some flat ones from the road.
Err! A little consideration here please Del. Have you got a cherished pet I can suggest picking up from the road squashed flat? Some of us do have feelings you know...... :(

advertisement

Back