advertisement

Music reviews-Why I love the music I love

When I get back to the grey clouds of Britain,
I’ll probably sample some jazz recordings to sort what affects me and what doesn’t and then let the music take me.

I'm really a 'guitar' fan, I'm amazed by the sounds people can make with this seemingly simple instrument. I like bands that feature a really great player, who makes an entrance into the song that strikes a real chord (sorry).

Al Di Meola,
Pink Floyd
Deep Purple
Rainbow
Led Zeppelin
Van Halen
Steve Hackett
Camel
Santana
Etc.etc.etc.

I know there are some more open-minded listeners, but the Haters are very quick to spew bile.

It is like a self-congratulatory ‘Hate Club.’

Pathetic.
Hip hop and rap opened my eyes and ears to some interesting old soul, r'n'b etc by way of the samples, Labi Siffre and William Bell being two notable finds. I've listened to and enjoyed it since I was 13-14 so mid 80s and still appreciate some of the new stuff. Horses for courses....

I am reminded of one of Lester Bangs observations on metal machine music: If you put it on first thing in the morning when you have a really bad hangover, it will tell you what the rest of the day will be like.

This is a tricky one. My parents weren’t great music fans and we didn’t get a record player until I was twelve or so. The music I grew up with was thus mainly whatever got on to Pick of the Pops; fortunately this was during the golden age of pop, with the Beatles, Who, Stones, Kinks etc putting out great music seemingly non—stop. Then I discovered Dylan, Hendrix, the Doors and other US groups.

Next was a white man blues phase, starting with a John Mayall compilation, leading to an obsession with Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac.

After a very brief prog-rock phase (one King Crimson and one Jethro Tull album are all that remain from this era), I read Richard Williams’ series of articles in Melody Maker on the Velvet Underground, and via them, discovered Bowie, The Stooges and Lenny Kate’s ‘Nuggets’ double album. I was an early adopter of punk, and post-punk seemed to be a return to the glory days of non-stop wonderful singles and albums.

By contrast I arrived late to classical and jazz music, but the former now makes up most of my music collection.

Why do I like what I like? Search me, guv. I can no more explain that than I can explain why I find some comedians funny and others less so.

This is a tricky one. My parents weren’t great music fans and we didn’t get a record player until I was twelve or so. The music I grew up with was thus mainly whatever got on to Pick of the Pops; fortunately this was during the golden age of pop, with the Beatles, Who, Stones, Kinks etc putting out great music seemingly non—stop. Then I discovered Dylan, Hendrix, the Doors and other US groups.

Next was a white man blues phase, starting with a John Mayall compilation, leading to an obsession with Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac.

After a very brief prog-rock phase (one King Crimson and one Jethro Tull album are all that remain from this era), I read Richard Williams’ series of articles in Melody Maker on the Velvet Underground, and via them, discovered Bowie, The Stooges and Lenny Kate’s ‘Nuggets’ double album. I was an early adopter of punk, and post-punk seemed to be a return to the glory days of non-stop wonderful singles and albums.

By contrast I arrived late to classical and jazz music, but the former now makes up most of my music collection.

Why do I like what I like? Search me, guv. I can no more explain that than I can explain why I find some comedians funny and others less so.
I like it because it moves me.

Well, yes, but that’s kind of like saying ‘I find Noel Fielding funny because he makes me laugh’.

On a separate note, seeing the reference to the Zappa documentary on another thread reminds me that I went through a Zappa/Mother’s phase too, though annoyingly I can’t think exactly when that was. It must have started when I was at school (I remember swapping Zappa albums with a like-minded friend who was more into the jazz/classical influenced stuff, whilst I preferred stuff like ‘We’re Only In It For The Money’ and ‘Cruising With Rueben and the Jets’), and fizzled out with Apostrophe when toilet humour took over from inventiveness.

Well apparently I'm not a music lover because:
a) I often know very little about what I'm listening to. I have minimal interest in who in the the band and which bands they were in before etc. I aften don't even know the nemes of the songs!
b) I almost never visit the PFM music room. I have tried and it seems that my taste in music doesn't correlate with most PFM'ers.

And yet I get huge pleasure from listening to music. I have two favourite listening modes - either a good blast (when everyone is out), or the day-dreamy half-asleep transported-somewhere-else thing. Melody and rythym are very important to me, it's a bonus if the lyrics are good.

I have recently been noting down new-to-me tracks that I like on Radio Paradise and FIP. I add them to a playlist on Spotify and listen to them several times. If they still hook me in after 3 or 4 plays they get to stay. I have found some great and eclectic stuff this way, even a few classical tunes!

advertisement

Back