advertisement

Anti-vaccine protesters… why?

miktec,

even 'Academics' tell porkies and falsify data (and 'peer review' isn't all its cracked up to be)

Indeed, like ...................... (wait for it) .................................. Andrew Wakefield!

Joe

we would accept a Wiki citation, but we do urge caution in its use, to understand what constitutes a reliable and useful citation.
That’s the guidance I received when starting my MA; use Wiki with due caution and only cite it as a last resort. My daughter is a university lecturer and that’s the line she takes with her students. She draws the line at them using Google as a source though.

She draws the line at them using Google as a source though.

indeed.

We teach our students to be discerning in their research. We have a range of modules from the first year where we require research and citing sources leading to the complexity of their final year project.

Clearly the bar is higher for final year Ug students than first years. For our MSc, we have a supporting Research Methods module that covers some of this.

Joe,

Do you mean Google Scholar or Google?

Either way, they're search engines not sources.

joe

Joe,

Do you mean Google Scholar or Google?

Either way, they're search engines not sources.

joe
Well, yes, I know that, but one of my daughter’s students simply listed ‘Google’ as one of her sources for an essay. Obvs nothing wrong in using Google or Google Scholar to track down information.

That's good to hear Sean - I didn't know that. What class is it covered in?

I'm basing this largely on my experience of being in HE classes where no one seemed to even understand what constituted a primary source - never mind reliability, bias, currency etc.
In the 15 or so years I’ve been teaching (mostly media) there’s been an increasing push to make this kind of thing a formal, distinct part of the curriculum, so in my area at least there’ll be a unit on academic skills in first year, one that incorporates specific research skills in year 2, a year of research workshops around the dissertation in year 3. Tutors are required to address use of sources in assessment feedback. Of course implementation varies wildly and so does student engagement with this kind of stuff, which can seem pretty dry. I do often meet dissertation students who claim never to have come across the distinction between primary and secondary sources, or who think that all “internet sources” are unreliable, including journal articles etc. What can you do? On the whole I think basic academic literacy has improved in the time I’ve been teaching, and the teaching of it has certainly improved. My undergraduate research training consisted of one supervision tutorial: “Sounds interesting, don’t really know anything about it: let me know how you get on.”

Brother in laws a vegan and refused vaccinations for Vegan reasons, testing on animals AFAIK,.
I know a few others (some family members) that have refused to get Covid vaccinations probably for a variety of reasons, distrust, ignorance or whatever, I didn't ask why to be honest as I couldn't be bothered to have the conversation or argument but I won't be in their company, house and they definitely won't be over my door. My two kids are in their twenties, they were not going to get vaccinated so I went picked them both up and took them to the vaccination centre, big as they are they still listen to their 'ole boy', lol.
Being cynical it wouldn't surprise me (nothing really does when it comes to human behaviour) if there was a conspiracy involved especially if there is monetary gain but I'd rather not risk my health or that of my kids.

Brother in laws a vegan and refused vaccinations for Vegan reasons, testing on animals AFAIK,.
I know a few others (some family members) that have refused to get Covid vaccinations probably for a variety of reasons, distrust, ignorance or whatever, I didn't ask why to be honest as I couldn't be bothered to have the conversation or argument but I won't be in their company, house and they definitely won't be over my door. My two kids are in their twenties, they were not going to get vaccinated so I went picked them both up and took them to the vaccination centre, big as they are they still listen to their 'ole boy', lol.
Being cynical it wouldn't surprise me (nothing really does when it comes to human behaviour) if there was a conspiracy involved especially if there is monetary gain but I'd rather not risk my health or that of my kids.
Dad Rules!

If people don't want to get vaccinated leave them to it, but put them at the bottom of the list for an icu bed.
In a lot of cases this would mean excluding the same people who’ve suffered disproportionately from both the virus and from lockdown measures. Same things driving a lot of it, racism and inequality.

Took my youngest to the Kassam Stadium for vaccination this afternoon.
An anti-vaxxer mob was rallying by the entrance and I got a frew "newspaper":

B9NPaHY.jpg

lAJbULx.jpg

When I started grad studies during the early Cretaceous period I distinctly recall spending Saturdays in the library, using a microfishe reader and printed catalogues to find papers in journals relevant to the work I was doing.

2448px-Rigler_Deutsch_Index_-_microfiche_reader.jpg

I'd then spend the better part of the day in front of a Xerox machine with a pocketful nickels, dimes and quarters slowly consumed as I made copies of journal papers in primary sources.

1200px-Fuji_Xerox_Document_Centre_505_and_Taiwan_Xerox_Walk-In_120D_at_ROC_National_Central_Library_20101211.jpg

Now, and especially with an institutional account, I can download legible and zoomable (man, this is a godsend!) PDFs of papers published in the most prestigious of journals from the comfort of home. Even on the can, as long as I have a wireless connection to the Interweb. What took a day, now takes mere minutes — finding relevant papers, not taking a crap if I've lost anyone or was insufficiently clear.

The academic journals used to be printed and bound — and some still are — but the information in them has largely moved online. When we talk about online sources of info (and I acknowledge this is often not where Aunt Ethel and Uncle Fred get their COVID and vaccine info) be sure to include prestigious, peer-reviewed journals and publications.

Joe

I’ve friends in Liverpool who have been given that fake-news/anti-science shite too. It would be interesting to see who exactly is funding/instigating it. It takes real money and a coordinated infrastructure to regularly produce and distribute printed media, so someone is footing a fairly hefty bill somewhere. I don’t believe for a second it is donation funded as implied.

Bob,

Nothing to do with Wikipedia though.

My point was about lumping Wikipedia in with iffy / shit social media. Wikipedia has checks in place and it evolves over time. It's not categorically full of crap. It's crap in places, like, well, everything.

As a leading authority on the matter, I can say that this entry on Mr. Spock is as solid a reference as any I've read anywhere, especially the practice of Spocking a Canuck fiver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spock

Joe

B9NPaHY.jpg

I instantly distrust anything that uses a lighthouse as their logo :D

advertisement

Back