advertisement

Last time listen before buy

A & D - a pair of floor standing speakers. Tried 2 dealers.

@linnfomaniac83 you are a mere youngster on here ! Have a great music filled day today!
Thank you, it’s my uncle’s birthday today too (also a Linnie) and my little nephew’s first birthday (will make a Linnie of him), we have plenty of music and food lined up!

D & D (only just, for another few weeks :()

I learned a long time ago that liking something on a shop demo did not by any means guarantee that I'd still like it at home, two months later. So I tend to buy used, unheard. I've barely been in a bricks & mortar shop in the last 30 years. I'm not proud of that - a good dealer would be a great thing to have, but it's how it is. I suppose I'm still part of the food chain, because if the people who buy new couldn't move their gear on after a while, they wouldn't be able to keep buying new gear.:confused:

A/B and E.

A if a standing up check out front counts otherwise B for sitting down in the back with a cup of coffee and a bunch of recordings for an hour or so. After moving a few years ago I am not aware of a local B&M store with a decent listening room. I am currently trying to teach myself to use the web more effectively for shopping and so there is a fair chance the next significant new purchase will be off the web with a post purchase listening check rather than a pre purchase one. I am reluctant but times have changed.

I learned a long time ago that liking something on a shop demo did not by any means guarantee that I'd still like it at home, two months later. So I tend to buy used, unheard. I've barely been in a bricks & mortar shop in the last 30 years. I'm not proud of that - a good dealer would be a great thing to have, but it's how it is. I suppose I'm still part of the food chain, because if the people who buy new couldn't move their gear on after a while, they wouldn't be able to keep buying new gear.:confused:

Same here really, it really takes a home demo at the very least to know how a product sounds in our own systems and room but as you say the second hand gear has to go somewhere.

A & D

I went to buy an Ex-Demo amp (Primare i32/MM30) for around £1700 below list price. When I got there, they'd kindly set it up in the demo room for me, even though I was planning to buy it anyway - figuring that if I didn't like it, I certainly wasn't going to lose money. Anyway - it sounded absolutely dreadful in their room; like someone was playing a guitar with a cheese grater! Once I'd mopped up the blood from my ears, I bought it anyway as I felt that what I was hearing was mostly poor room acoustics (and, of course, the discount made it a very solid punt). Low-and-behold, when I got it into my system (at that time consisting of Kef LS50 speakers -- the same speakers used for the demo) the amp sounded lovely. Detailed, silky smooth and all the usual superlatives. They are no longer in business and I do wonder if having such an awful sounding demo space had any bearing on that? Although they had lasted 20 years.
Long story that little bit longer...I still have the amp and still love it.

Well, I have one hifi shop here in Madeira and basically no second hand market. Logistical distance purchasing problems from UK courtesy of Brexit also (not complaining - it is what it is). So everything is done through him, one way or the other. One of the down sides of this beautiful place. Lucky to have him at all, really. Oh, A and E by the way.

advertisement

Back