advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

Sorry to be a pain, but I don't have a subscription to the NYT, nor the WP, nor FT... Could you give us a 2-sentence exec summary, perhaps?

Centrist Dad admits he was wrong about Trump and expresses surprise that an openly wannabee fascist might be dangerous and anti-democratic.

Every time I visit, I get a blocking page telling me I need to open a trial subscription to read. Same with the Washington Post pieces that sometimes get linked to here.

They are all soft paywalls and will allow you to read so many articles for free each month in return for registering. And if you run out of free articles, they are soft paywalls so workarounds exist (.e.g. https://12ft.io/).

Sorry to be a pain, but I don't have a subscription to the NYT, nor the WP, nor FT... Could you give us a 2-sentence exec summary, perhaps?
A brief quote to give you the flavour:

More alarmingly, Republicans in swing states are purging election officials, allowing pro-Trump partisans to sabotage vote counts. In January, an Arizona lawmaker introduced a bill that would permit Republican legislators to overrule the certification of elections that don’t go their way. In Georgia, the legislature has given partisan election boards the power to “slow down or block” election certifications. Why bother with elections?

Democrats now face an opposition that is not a normal political party, but rather a party that is willing to sacrifice democratic institutions and norms to take power.

The legislation Democrats introduced in Congress to protect our democracy against such assaults would have taken an important step toward meeting these challenges. But on Wednesday, Republicans blocked the latest version of the legislation, and given the lack of unanimity among Democrats on the filibuster, they may well have succeeded in killing the last hope for any federal voting rights legislation during this session of Congress.

Having underestimated Mr. Trump in the first place, Democrats shouldn’t underestimate what it will take to counter his malign influence now. They need a bigger, bolder campaign blueprint to save democracy that doesn’t hinge on the whims of Congress.

^ i think we are going to have to get used to the fact that democracy in America is losing. It is going to be a very rough couple of decades for us all.

^ i think we are going to have to get used to the fact that democracy in America is losing. It is going to be a very rough couple of decades for us all.
Sadly, I think that's true - barring some extraordinary turn-around, the US is destined to become a larger version of Hungary, with a rigged election and judiciary system, press freedom curbed and religiosity rampant.

In kind of related news I see far-right white supremacist shit trumpet Steve Bannon has been found in contempt over money laundering and corruption and could be facing further prosecution over Trump’s 6th Jan coup attempt (Reuters).

In kind of related news I see far-right white supremacist shit trumpet Steve Bannon has been found in contempt over money laundering and corruption and could be facing further prosecution over Trump’s 6th Jan coup attempt (Reuters).

What comes next is an answer to @matthewr 's question: is it time to worry about Merrick Garland?

What comes next is an answer to @matthewr 's question: is it time to worry about Merrick Garland?

I’ve been worried about Merrick Garland and his willingness to do the right thing for a long time now. Democracy in America is depending on it. The signs are not good so far.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work in the UK but I read the story elsewhere. Ted Cruz seems to embarrass himself almost daily, but he's so thick-skinned, and his followers so thick, that it just seems to wash off him.

He and others learned this from T***p. If you say something stupid and it backfires, then just say something even stupider so that people forget the original stupidity.

Here's another, hopefully more UK-friendly link.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...cruz-vaccines-we-dont-need-your-lectures-mate

He and others learned this from T***p. If you say something stupid and it backfires, then just say something even stupider so that people forget the original stupidity.

I get the impression (hopefully incorrect) that, no matter what Trump and his camp followers say, no matter how ridiculous, the fan base will simply accept it.

Tones,

I get the impression (hopefully incorrect) that, no matter what Trump and his camp followers say, no matter how ridiculous, the fan base will simply accept it.

Indeed. Listen to this patently absurd nonsense about Scooby Doo, and yet the Trumpsters lap it up.

Joe

I know that only the worst among them are filmed, but the ignorance and stupidity is still very shocking.

1634923540290-png.166437

Trumps new truth social media site is likely to be sued for illegal use of software:

https://www.inputmag.com/culture/trumps-truth-social-is-just-an-illegal-mastodon-clone

That article is worth reading for some of the gems it contains about the rules they are introducing, like clamping down on free speech and banning the excessive use of caps, but it has all the hallmarks of an amateur operation with some people finding a live URL to enable them to sign up before it is officially launched to "invited people only" - a writer for the @dailydot has already claimed the handle @donaldtrump.

As stated in the article it will never get through Google or Apple’s App Store AUP. Even if it did it would be hacked in the most comedic ways imaginable within minutes.

advertisement

Back