advertisement

What's your Favourite Stew, Casserole or One-Pot Recipe?

Rabbit in white wine.

When I lived in Crete the locals used to make delicious rabbit in red wine, κρασί κουνέλι, which I loved. I’ve always wanted to make it in England, but it’s not easy to get rabbit which hasn’t been factory farmed - and for me that’s out of the question.

When I lived in Crete the locals used to make delicious rabbit in red wine, κρασί κουνέλι, which I loved. I’ve always wanted to make it in England, but it’s not easy to get rabbit which hasn’t been factory farmed - and for me that’s out of the question.

No old butchers with a game licence round your way? I think they abolished licences but you know what I mean. The factory farmed ones are like mass produced chicken - fat and flabby.

Soak some chick peas for two days and then cook in boiling water for five hours.
Cook some diced onions in olive oil for about an hour until they have melted.
Add some tinned tomatoes to the onions and cook for about an hour until it is all really thick.
Cook some spinach.
Mix together the spinach, chickpeas, tomato sauce. Drizzle with the best olive oil money can buy. Serve with a bit of fish.

Would it be ok /same with precooked chickpeas? like
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-chick-peas-so-organic-380g
BTW 25% OFF WINE

Would it be ok /same with precooked chickpeas? like
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-chick-peas-so-organic-380g
BTW 25% OFF WINE

Not necessarily, but try it. Chick peas vary, some precooked ones are dreadful to eat whole I think. The best I’ve found are these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23358273...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

It’s really important to boil for hours and hours - they have to melt in the mouth, not be the slightest bit al dente - then the flavour changes.

These are good if you want cooked ones

https://www.nifeislife.com/beans-pe...rio-natural-chickpeas-370g-8000320030062.html

The quality of the tomatoes matters also. I use these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28440508...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
No old butchers with a game licence round your way? I think they abolished licences but you know what I mean. The factory farmed ones are like mass produced chicken - fat and flabby.

Yes there is, and I go there quite often. Last time I asked he only had factory rabbit, but I’ll ask again soon.

I use quite a few of the BBC good food recipes and though I normally like one pots, stews etc I prefer pies, especially Mary Berry's chicken pie with the thatched top. A nice sort of one pot is ,
Rolled Brisket, onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves, thyme, red wine, beef stock, tomato puree.
Dry and cover the Brisket in sea salt and ground black pepper, brown the outside and remove from the pot. Cut the veg in chunks, soften in a little oil, add the bay leaves, add a tbsp of Tom puree to the beef stock, remove the veg from the pot, place the Brisket back in the pot, place the chunky veg around, pour in the red wine and enough beef stock to cover, add a few sprigs of thyme and stick in the oven for 3-4 hrs (depending on how big the Brisket is) at 140c (fan).
I've only really been cooking properly for the past 15 years, as in following actual recipes, the Hairy Bikers Meat Feasts is a good book , I generally just follow the instructions.
On Sunday I made a Chicken and Broccoli potato topped pie from BBC good food, it was lovely.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chicken-broccoli-potato-topped-pie

Butternut Squash & Red Lentil Stew…
3tbs. Sunflower oil
1 large onion
500g butternut squash
4 plum tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2tsp sweet paprika
Ginger peeled and grated
2tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground coriander
1/2tsp curry powder
1/2tsp ground turmeric
150g red lentils
850ml vege stock
Salt and pepper
1 large courgette
2 roasted red peppers roughly chopped
I usually double up on all of this and then some on the spices. I’m not a vegetarian but this is one of my favourites. Some naan bread goes well with it.

Dark nights drawing in, temperatures dropping. I thought it a good time to discuss our favourite hearty meal recipes - Stews, Casseroles and One-Pots.

I'll start of with a simple dish I like to make and stick in the oven:

Corned Beef Hot Pot.

Layers of:
Onion (Chopped)
Pearl Barley
Carrots (Sliced)
Slices of corned beef (tinned is fine) Chilling in the fridge beforehand makes slicing easier / less messy
Potatoes (Sliced)
3-5 layers of the above in a casserole dish/pot

Each layer seasoned with salt and pepper

Beef stock added to submerge ingredients in casserole pot, barley absorbs lots of stock!

Butter can be added to top if desired

An hour or two in the oven, removing the lid for the last 30-40 mins if you want the top layers nice and browned / crispy.
yum
and if that word is not aplicable to any post here then let the atomic bomb of the cook gods drop on it from a decent height
Yum= winter food IMO

I have 100 of recipes of this nature, from a stew first featured in the 'winnie the pooh cook book', to two or 3 from Otto L.
Where to start??

Domoda (Gambian Peanut Stew)
  • onion
  • garlic
  • ginger
  • jalapeño peppers
  • tomato paste
  • cumin
  • coriander
  • cinnamon
  • cloves
  • salt
  • Black pepper
  • vegetable broth
  • thyme sprigs
  • sweet potatoes
  • Peanut Butter
  • cannellini beans
  • tomatoes
  • kale
  • lemon juice
  • cilantro
I like this served with crusty bread.

Kevin

Domoda (Gambian Peanut Stew)
  • onion
  • garlic
  • ginger
  • jalapeño peppers
  • tomato paste
  • cumin
  • coriander
  • cinnamon
  • cloves
  • salt
  • Black pepper
  • vegetable broth
  • thyme sprigs
  • sweet potatoes
  • Peanut Butter
  • cannellini beans
  • tomatoes
  • kale
  • lemon juice
  • cilantro
I like this served with crusty bread.

Kevin

How can you have coriander and cilantro when they are the same thing or are you differentiating ground/seeds vs the fresh leaves?

I keep it really simple,

For the stew
1kg of diced beef,
1 large red onion,
2 leeks
enough sliced carrots (size varies too much to specify a quantity)
sliced mushrooms (as many as you like)
3-4 chopped garlic cloves
1 bottle of Bank’s beer,
1 veg stock pot
2 rich beef stock pots
(optional), a third of a tube of tomato purée,
It doesn’t stand out, it just balances the flavour out nicely.

Brown the beef off in a large wok whilst heating the slow cooker, then add the beer, onions, veg and stock. Stir until the stock has dissolved, then chuck the lot in the slow cooker with the mushrooms… leave it all day on medium setting, just stir it up when you go near the pot… if the gravy is too thin for your taste when you’re near to serving time, add beef bisto granules until you’re happy with the consistency.

40 minutes before you’re ready to eat, make up some dumplings following the instructions on the back of the Atora suet box, put them on the top of the stew for 15 minutes, then turn them over for another 15 and then serve.

This will feed four adults well and it tastes absolutely divine, we had it tonight. Proper warming comfort food.

advertisement

Back