advertisement

What's your Favourite Stew, Casserole or One-Pot Recipe?

Stuart Frazer

pfm Member
Dark nights drawing in, temperatures dropping. I thought it a good time to discuss our favourite hearty meal recipes - Stews, Casseroles and One-Pots.

I'll start of with a simple dish I like to make and stick in the oven:

Corned Beef Hot Pot.

Layers of:
Onion (Chopped)
Pearl Barley
Carrots (Sliced)
Slices of corned beef (tinned is fine) Chilling in the fridge beforehand makes slicing easier / less messy
Potatoes (Sliced)
3-5 layers of the above in a casserole dish/pot

Each layer seasoned with salt and pepper

Beef stock added to submerge ingredients in casserole pot, barley absorbs lots of stock!

Butter can be added to top if desired

An hour or two in the oven, removing the lid for the last 30-40 mins if you want the top layers nice and browned / crispy.

Soak some chick peas for two days and then cook in boiling water for five hours.
Cook some diced onions in olive oil for about an hour until they have melted.
Add some tinned tomatoes to the onions and cook for about an hour until it is all really thick.
Cook some spinach.
Mix together the spinach, chickpeas, tomato sauce. Drizzle with the best olive oil money can buy. Serve with a bit of fish.

Braise oxtail in red wine for three hours with some onions, celery, carrot, garlic etc. Remove and debone. Put the juice in the fridge and remove the solid fat from the surface the next day. Add some lentils to the sauce and cook till soft. Add the deboned oxtail. Serve with saffron risotto.

I did an Oxtail recipe once and it was awful. I must have had a old/bad piece from the butcher. It's something I should really try again. That recipe sounds very nice.

I did an Oxtail recipe once and it was awful. I must have had a old/bad piece from the butcher. It's something I should really try again. That recipe sounds very nice.

If you try it, remember this: you absolutely must defat the sauce by cooling it, in the fridge overnight works, and then removing the solid fat which has come to the surface. If you don’t do it you will have something inedible.

I forgot to mention - add half a can of tomatoes and a dash of Worcester sauce to the lentils as they cook in the wine juice.

Beef Paprika in slow cooker. Cubed cheap 'n cheerful stewing beef (not lean), carrots, shallots, mushrooms, paprika, mixed herbs, flour, crushed garlic, tomato puree, seasoning, beef stock and a glug of red wine.

Eight hours on low setting. Cool, and then leave in the fridge for a couple of days. Reheat on the hob and serve with nice bread.

Braise oxtail in red wine for three hours with some onions, celery, carrot, garlic etc. Remove and debone. Put the juice in the fridge and remove the solid fat from the surface the next day. Add some lentils to the sauce and cook till soft. Add the deboned oxtail. Serve with saffron risotto.
Oxtail makes the most wonderful stock. I use a pressure cooker to get the cooking time down. I do like to leave the bones in, something to pick up in your hands and suck the juices out of:)

Completely agree with cooling it down and removing the fat.

I shall try it with lentils.. brown or orange ones? I'd guess at the brown variety.

And homemade suet dumplings...two each, one to eat with the stew and one to have with a drizzle of treacle for afters. The combination of the saviour stew and treacle sweetness...my dad has a lot to answer for!

Delia's Sausages braised in Red wine. An absolute classic and family favourite here. Lots of possibilities for variations but the original is still great and so simple.

My mums Spicy Beef Hotpot is a blinder as well. She certainly did not invent it but no idea where it was from. I will find the receipt and post later

Also an 8hr slow cooked tikka receipt acquired from somewhere, I have used for chicken, tofu and lamb, brilliant with all. Again I will post later

All the above are not fancy cooking, I do plenty of more complex dishes, the above are all super simple and scalable up to the biggest pots you have.

Tater ‘ash.

Carrots for ten minutes > onions for ten minutes > oxo cube > potatoes for twenty minutes > tinned corned beef as it’s cooling.

Venison and red wine casserole.

PS. my own recipe and a bit random if I'm honest as it depends to some extent what roots I've got knocking around at the time.

Last edited:
I enjoy most types but my least favourite is Irish stew, very meh to my tastes.
At the other end of the spectrum is my favourite of those I've tried, Greek lamb stifado.
I'm told the Turkish guvec is even better but I've never had the pleasure.

Soak some chick peas for two days and then cook in boiling water for five hours.
Cook some diced onions in olive oil for about an hour until they have melted.
Add some tinned tomatoes to the onions and cook for about an hour until it is all really thick.
Cook some spinach.
Mix together the spinach, chickpeas, tomato sauce. Drizzle with the best olive oil money can buy. Serve with a bit of fish.
Nice to see someone that understands softening onion takes a long time.

3lb Stewing Beef
green chilli, chopped, deseeded if desired
ginger
garlic (lots)
onions
Tin chopped tomatoes
Bottle of red wine
Salt & Pepper
plain flour
2 x tsp sugar
ghee
heat ghee in large heavy based casserole dish (which has a lid)
Rough chop onions, brown
flour rough chopped beef (1”++ cubed ish pieces)
chuck in large amount of mashed garlic, at least 1” cubed ginger (mashed)
add meat, stir a bit to seal the meat
add tomatoes and bottle of wine.
stir, put the lid on.
cook on low heat for about 6 hours, can be more.

taste, add more whatever if required (salt, pepper sugar, maybe a slug of water)

serve with rice or mash or just bread.

even nicer the next day.

known in our house as Jamaican casserole.

advertisement

Back