advertisement

Couldn't agree more..

Advertising is a problem for me. I loathe the whole idea of persuading folk to buy stuff they don't need with a passion and only use it personally in a negative sense (ie refuse to buy any product whose advertising offends me, morally or intellectually.) At the same time I realise this website and much more that I enjoy besides wouldn't exist without it. A pact with the Devil.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...uff-and-i-know-just-the-people-to-persuade-us

"What we need is a brilliantly executed ad campaign around the slogan STOP BUYING STUFF. The trouble is, the geniuses in the ad industry who we’d need to create this campaign will always remain dedicated to getting us to do the exact opposite."
I'm fairly sure the Brits are much worse than most other Europeans. Living in France, most homes I visit seem to have kitchens and bathrooms at least 20 years old. It's the opposite in UK.

Generally I only buy stuff I really need, (though I do have a weakness for turntables and check shirts), or think I will get a lot of enjoyment from and a lot of my purchases are second hand. I try to sell anything I no longer use or enjoy or give it to charity shops. My wife is about as opposite as you could get to this and we are continually trying to convert each other. Such is life.

We have a whole economy based on consumer spending. If we stop buying stuff our economy would grind to a halt.

If we are serious about stopping buying stuff, especially all the tat we don’t want, don’t need, and just ends up in a drawer full of other tat, we should ban Christmas

I'm fairly sure the Brits are much worse than most other Europeans. Living in France, most homes I visit seem to have kitchens and bathrooms at least 20 years old. It's the opposite in UK.

I agree with this, its why a large portion of eBay sellers of cheap tat are China based, they invaded our e-commerce market heavily because it's so profitable, and pretty much tax free to them. With a subsidised postal system funded in part by the UK taxpayer, sending a package from China and it being delivered by Royal Mail in the UK, is CHEAPER than sending a package to your neighbour through Royal Mail in the UK. Go figure.

I agree with this, its why a large portion of eBay sellers of cheap tat are China based, they invaded our e-commerce market heavily because it's so profitable, and pretty much tax free to them. With a subsidised postal system funded in part by the UK taxpayer, sending a package from China and it being delivered by Royal Mail in the UK, is CHEAPER than sending a package to your neighbour through Royal Mail in the UK. Go figure.
Exactly. When will the international postal agreement come to and end? It's crazy. Aliexpress will be crocked when it does.

Regarding the linked article, one of the first rules of advertising is that you don't waste money advertising a "product" with zero appeal. Advertising can only "push" existing demand. So no good, for example, the government sponsoring an ad campaign for people to go on foreign holidays less. Governments have to make those holidays prohibitively expensive, in line with the true costs to the environment. But since we live in a democracy, that's most unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Exactly. When will the international postal agreement come to and end? It's crazy. Aliexpress will be crocked when it does.

Do you think it ever will? Half of China would become unemployed, so I imagine their government might create a new state subsidised programme to ensure they can dominate oversea's markets and keep their citizens in jobs. It would be nice if it did happen though, would even the playing field a huge deal.

eBay UK's new 'China focus' selling programme is massively concerning for UK based eBay sellers.

We have a whole economy based on consumer spending. If we stop buying stuff our economy would grind to a halt.

If we are serious about stopping buying stuff, especially all the tat we don’t want, don’t need, and just ends up in a drawer full of other tat, we should ban Christmas
Brilliant, you get PFM's Grinch award for October.
The_Grinch.png

Do you think it ever will? Half of China would become unemployed, so I imagine their government might create a new state subsidised programme to ensure they can dominate oversea's markets and keep their citizens in jobs. It would be nice if it did happen though, would even the playing field a huge deal.

eBay UK's new 'China focus' selling programme is massively concerning for UK based eBay sellers.
I don't see retailers campaigning / complaining about it. Until then uk.gov will not do anything.

advertisement

Back